Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:44 AM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???

I am always thinking of a conversion to a wide body look. But holding me back is of course the cost to do it right. Does it make sense to consider doing just the rear since it is the back that attracts me the most about the wide body. Will this create handling problems? Will it look awkward? Thoughts?

Ron M.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:01 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

The 993 C4S came from the factory with only the wide rear I think...so you might look at some of those and get a feel for what you think? Though with the 964's sharper body lines it may look a bit odd - I think the 993 pulls it off thanks to the more "melted" look it has.

I've seen cars that the owner said they had their car's fender's "pulled" for a slightly wider look/stance. In fact, I remember a black RSA that I believe had that done to it. Anybody on here with experience doing something like that?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chase is i think correct....964 turbo looks only rear end treatmentName:  skintight2a.gif
Views: 18962
Size:  1.14 MB (and for the cabs, turbo brakes).

i've scanned the only decent snaps i could find of wide body coupe (great looking car)....and brief description thereof
Name:  964turbolook.jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  111.3 KB

i personally love the turbo look 964 series, but i am wondering re this conversion if it might be more practical-economical to scout for factory edition turbo look (coupe or cab)...

cheers
Name:  porsch1july2009.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  173.9 KB
Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To do the rear only would give rise to some problems that would be difficult to resolve "properly". The problem is that the side skirts on the wide body cars are different to the narrow body cars and it you did the rear fenders only the front of the side skirts would not meet the still narrow front fenders.

Besides, it would look very strange. The front fenders on the wide 964 are quite different to the narrow body versions.

Regards

Dave
Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way I think you could pull it off would be to do as dave was saying, get a set of widebody side skirts, and a set of narrow body side skirts, cut them both in half and have a body shop plastic weld them together.

Which reminds me I have a pile of widebody parts sitting in my shed. I bought the front fenders, rear quarters, from fascia, side skirts, rear bumper sides, and front smile to do the job, but thanx to this wonderful recession, I now have to work 9 hours from where I live (10 days out and 4 days home) so all my porsche projects have ground to a halt.

Kirk
Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jerry....I see you made it over here.....
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
ronone10
Racer

Thanks for the replies and photos. I haven't seen a rear-end only widebody on a 964 and probably won't.

My situation is I am doing a complete respray due to someone keying my car and I always wanted a widebody so I figure this is the best opportunity. I know there are kits out there but I don't want to slap on one a have to deal with fit and finish problems. I prefer getting the parts off of a 965. In that case, better to just buy a OEM widebody.

So, what to do??? Kirk, are your parts OEM or aftermarket?

Ron
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine are all 965 parts.

Kirk
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
Jerry....I see you made it over here.....
its much better here " as a forum" for exchanges/different topics...in terms of tech help the 964 UK/euro guys forum is perhaps better-but the certainly not an interesting participant forum.....and over there -no pics
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 AM
sturm
Racer

Originally Posted by ronone10
Thanks for the replies and photos. I haven't seen a rear-end only widebody on a 964 and probably won't.
Sure you've seen one. The white car with the TT motor and matte black RUF wheels. LA964 on Rennlist
He cut the rear fenders and added an inch or more to each side. VERY COOL!

There was a another, a black RSA that ended up in the Seattle area for awhile that did the same.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 AM
sturm
Racer

Here's a picture of the Black RSA.
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 AM
ronone10
Racer

This looks great. I didn't need to see it. I was all ready to tell the body shop to go with the respray only.

How do you think the rocker panel was shaped to get it to blend from the rear widebody up to the front?

Ron

Originally Posted by sturm
Sure you've seen one. The white car with the TT motor and matte black RUF wheels. LA964 on Rennlist
He cut the rear fenders and added an inch or more to each side. VERY COOL!

There was a another, a black RSA that ended up in the Seattle area for awhile that did the same.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks to me as though the rocker panel is the standard narrow bodied part. The rear wheel arch has only been extended - mostly at the top - and blended into the standard shape down near the sharksfin. My guess is that that car has had the rear arches modified to accomodate the wider rear wheels and to conform to the regulations. IMHO it would not meet the road use regulation - in the UK at least - since the tyre tread area is exposed to the front and rear.

Functionally I'm sure it's fine but I wouldn't put it forward as a styling success. It looks all wrong.

Regards

Dave
Old 08-06-2009, 07:53 AM
gr1275
Pro

Ron,
I've got a red '91 964 turbo. If it will help, I can send you detail photos of specific sections that you may be able to photo shop onto your car to help make your final decision.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

ronone10 - old post I know. If you are still wondering about a wide body conversion, mine started out as a narrow body 964 and was converted by Strosek in Germany.

I'm from Vancouver and my brother who lives in Seattle just bought a 911. I will be down there for a couple of XXX's so if you are still interested you may see me there with my wide *** (the 911 will be there also).
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???