Sponsored by:

Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 AM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
ronone10 - old post I know. If you are still wondering about a wide body conversion, mine started out as a narrow body 964 and was converted by Strosek in Germany.

I'm from Vancouver and my brother who lives in Seattle just bought a 911. I will be down there for a couple of XXX's so if you are still interested you may see me there with my wide *** (the 911 will be there also).
Originally Posted by mark lintott
Hey - my car! Although I've changed the wheels since those pics were taken for the book. Love it - can't go wrong with the wide body IMHO........

Go for it!

Cheers
Mark
Taiwan/UK
Mark, love your car. I held back on the widebody for now.

As a side note, I was born in Taipei, dad was in the military... Lived in Tien Mou. Great childhood memories...
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 AM
ronone10
Racer

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I think the Ruf CTR must be one of the first narrow bodies 911s that had factory widened rear arches to fit 10" rear wheels. Always looked great to me!
Colin, thanks for the photo. Sweet looking car. That's what I want. Still on my short list and perhaps later this year.

When I get close, I will be asking for advice...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ronone10
Mark, love your car. I held back on the widebody for now.

As a side note, I was born in Taipei, dad was in the military... Lived in Tien Mou. Great childhood memories...
Hi Ron,

Thanks on the car. How long ago if I can ask? My father in law came here with the military in '59 - my wife was born and raised here and now I've been here for about 19 years...! Changed a bit since your time I think...

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 AM
ronone10
Racer

Originally Posted by mark lintott
Hi Ron,

Thanks on the car. How long ago if I can ask? My father in law came here with the military in '59 - my wife was born and raised here and now I've been here for about 19 years...! Changed a bit since your time I think...

Cheers

Mark
Mark, smaill world, I was there in '62 to '67 and went to TAS (Taipei American School). The Tien Mou I remember is long gone. Apartments now replace the single family homes. The neighborhood was mostly made up of american families. Fun times, we went to the Grand Hotel during the summer to swim and hang out.

Ron
Old 02-10-2010, 02:43 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ronone10
Mark, smaill world, I was there in '62 to '67 and went to TAS (Taipei American School). The Tien Mou I remember is long gone. Apartments now replace the single family homes. The neighborhood was mostly made up of american families. Fun times, we went to the Grand Hotel during the summer to swim and hang out.

Ron
Yes, changed a lot. My other half went to TAS but a little later - circa '87. Her father ran the Officers club here on Chung Hsan Road I think. Still go to the Grand in the summer though.

Mark
Old 10-17-2016, 04:34 PM
xxhours
4th Gear

thx for all the information!!! i also wants to change my 964 to a turbo look....but where can i find the parts??
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the Singer cars have a wider rear end and the same NB front.

I guess it would take a few hours to dial this out with the proper suspension.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:41 AM
connor100
Intermediate

Why only the rear? Is it because of the money? The parts for changing the front are not cheap, I know, but they are affordable.

@xxhours
Here in Germany you will find a lot of used parts of the 965, for example the front-fenders: 1000,- € - 1400,- (left and right).

I quess you will find al lot of webpages, where you can buy aftermarket GFK parts as well (but I would prefer the original parts).

Greetings
Old 11-09-2016, 03:02 PM
sergiDA
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 wide body

Hi Connor

i am in the process if transforming a 964 to a wide body car, i am based in Barcelona

you mention that in Germany you can find 965 parts to do the transformation

can you give me some adresses, phone number...?

thanks
sergi
Old 08-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sergiDA
Hi Connor

i am in the process if transforming a 964 to a wide body car, i am based in Barcelona

you mention that in Germany you can find 965 parts to do the transformation

can you give me some adresses, phone number...?

thanks
sergi
Hi there,

Did you go ahead with your project? What's the status? I'm just planning to pick up a 964 and do the same thing. There are some nice kits by a company in the UK that used metal wheel arches, looks good, just weighing my options.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:23 PM
backitoff
Instructor

I'll be doing something along these lines in the winter. Great post for inspiration. Thanks to all.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,240 Posts

The wider front is IMO a must part of the conversion. I went with 993 front longitudinals and used the outboard turbo settings giving me 45mm wider track per side. Prior to this I was using the inboard settings and 993 longitudinals the revised handling is IMO in a different league.

There is some info in my build thread that explains how using factory parts and having a later 91 and newer tub makes a huge difference in ease of building it. They made a lot of changes to the later tubs that made using turbo parts easier.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...read-long.html
Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cobalt
The wider front is IMO a must part of the conversion. I went with 993 front longitudinals and used the outboard turbo settings giving me 45mm wider track per side. Prior to this I was using the inboard settings and 993 longitudinals the revised handling is IMO in a different league.

There is some info in my build thread that explains how using factory parts and having a later 91 and newer tub makes a huge difference in ease of building it. They made a lot of changes to the later tubs that made using turbo parts easier.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...read-long.html
Thats a great thread Cobalt and a truly awesome car. This has been so helpful to help put things in perspective. I had been toying with idea of doing a wide body backdate, there are kits available that fit right on the 964, quite expensive and seeing what you have done, it's an immense amount of work. So I think I will just got for a wide body "965" look, less work costs less and still looks awesome. So off I go to check out the 90 964 tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration, if I do get the car I'll be back hopefully to post work done.

Quick Reply: Wide Body Conversion Rear Only???