Sponsored by:

Steve Wong Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby
Now what do Steve Wongs claims have to do with me calling your first question irrelevant. Just like me he claims that the RS mapping has more aggressive ignition mapping that lead to a higher power output.

However further on you claim the exact opposite (!), namely that the RS's extra power is solely contributed by the hand selected production process and therefore purely mechanical. You now even claim Porsche as your source for this!!!

This is total BS, read the Porsche bulletin for dealership training on the RS....it claims in detail that the added power is a result of both mechanical (engine build process) AND electronics (mapping), the latter requiring exclusive use of 98RON fuel.
Please reread your original statement and my reply:
It features a more aggressive (advanced) ignition maps to get the most out of 98RON knock resistance (and revised idle maps to handle single mass flywheel). Official power claims were 260 Bhp...which are claimed to be very conservative.

TThe RS engine is exactly the same as standard 964 -bar a camshaft without aircon drive- but was hand picked & assembled to the tightest tolerances. So to which part would this be responsible for the RS' higher power?

>All. And a total of 10hp.

All as in both mechanical and engine mapping. Thank you for reinforcing my
statement with a note from a Porsche bulletin. My source. :-)
Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evoderby
...read the Porsche bulletin for dealership training on the RS....it claims in detail that the added power is a result of both mechanical (engine build process) AND electronics (mapping), the latter requiring exclusive use of 98RON fuel.
Try that in California.

Harald,
Welcome to Rennlist! :-)
Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

QUOTE" TThe RS engine is exactly the same as standard 964 -bar a camshaft without aircon drive- but was hand picked & assembled to the tightest tolerances." end of quote

Just for my own information, I thought the RS camshaft was without POWER STEERING drive, not as quoted AIR-CON drive?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

crg53, you're right, the only difference is the right side camshaft and housing does not have the appropriations for the power steering pulley setup.

N51 obviously was typing faster than his brain could fly as I have done MANY MANY times in the past!

Harald, I believe we have spoken before, welcome to Rennlist as well!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
QUOTE" TThe RS engine is exactly the same as standard 964 -bar a camshaft without aircon drive- but was hand picked & assembled to the tightest tolerances." end of quote

Just for my own information, I thought the RS camshaft was without POWER STEERING drive, not as quoted AIR-CON drive?

LOL, very true!!! The absence of both on my car got me mixed up.....

Cheers,

H
Old 07-19-2009, 02:54 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Curtis
crg53, you're right, the only difference is the right side camshaft and housing does not have the appropriations for the power steering pulley setup.

N51 obviously was typing faster than his brain could fly as I have done MANY MANY times in the past!
Jeff,

I'm certain of it! Do a search. :-) But I was only quoting Harald and understood
what he meant to say. After all, I've the same on my RSA w/seam welding. :/
Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM
evoderby
Pro

Originally Posted by N51
Try that in California.

Harald,
Welcome to Rennlist! :-)
Thanks for your welcome!!!!

BTW I've 'studied' this forum in great detail before posting on here and think this particular thread has turned out to be one of the liveliest in a long time....sorry about that guys;-)

On a serious note, I've already gained some great knowledge on here...for instance how to short circuit the rear blower fuse when using a heater bypass pipe in order to still allow the heating fan operation.

I have also learned that the CUPII wheels wheigh 8kg less than the CUPI alloys, which now gives me piece of mind storing my OE SM mags in the shed and not pay to high a price performance wise through using CUPII's

(According to supercup heroes Manthey Racing 10 kg saved in wheel weight equates to about 60kg weight shed in sprung weight performance wise)

Finally, don't worry about the banter....I made a side step into Lancia Integrale Evo's for a few years and as a 3000+ poster on the evo-forum am used to people not second guessing my input....even when not fully documenting statements or claims:-)

Passion comes with emotion, I'm glad to see many people on here are just as emotive as I am when it comes to the prancing horse from Zuffenhausen:-
)

Cheers Noah!

Harald
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this thread,

First, I have been tuning via altering Fuel/Ign maps for 2+ years and I sell nothing.

I have factory 964 RS chip and Stock 964 chip and know for sure the RS chip has more aggressive Ignition and Fuel maps both at WOT and PT. Here is a comparison directly from each chip for the WOT Ignition:

Last edited by scarceller; 03-03-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Scarcellar,

Do you have an RS DME or did you modify the RS chip to run in the stock DME. Also, what is the software program that you used to generate these graphs?
Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Scarcellar,

Do you have an RS DME or did you modify the RS chip to run in the stock DME. Also, what is the software program that you used to generate these graphs?
I only have a 964 RS chip no DME and never worked on a 964. The software is TunerProRT but you won't find any config file for those chips yet. I created my own config file and since it has not been verified by any tuner in a RS I don't recommend anyone use it to try and tune.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Anyone seriously interested in a G/B for a Chip please PM me, depending on interest level it may be a go.

(No affiliation)
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

PM sent
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Anyone seriously interested in a G/B for a Chip please PM me, depending on interest level it may be a go."

Yea! Let's do it, so we can really "look" at the map tables for the ignition
and fuel and then find out the "smoke & mirrors".
Old 08-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah! Let's do it, so we can really "look" at the map tables for the ignition
and fuel and then find out the "smoke & mirrors".
You got beat up a lot in High School...didn't you?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"You got beat up a lot in High School...didn't you"

Must be another one who "sucked-up" the "smoke & mirrors", right?

"I'll take the insanity plea."

Well, we all make mistakes! It's only money, right?

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip?