Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steve Wong Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 595 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm still happy, as my car now has DD drive ability. It was worth that to me. Steve Wong also suggests you check that the resonance valve and WOT microswitch are working. The latter is not on my car. Another benefit of buying the chip.

In conclusion, I don't think I have more power from the chip, but I do have a more usable car and an insight into a possible power robbing fault.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a method documented somewhere for checking the resonance valve?

I have just done a baseline 4wd dyno pull on my car and have Steve Wong chip waiting to go in for an independent back to back test.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Is there a method documented somewhere for checking the resonance valve? I have just done a baseline 4wd dyno pull on my car and have Steve Wong chip waiting to go in for an independent back to back test.
The info sheet says that the solenoid activates on start up. If you have someone turn the ignition key to the second position while you listen to the valve (situated on the intake plenum) you should hear the solenoid click. Mine does that. What I don't have is WOT microswitch activation. This is all documented with the chip when it comes.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Is there a method documented somewhere for checking the resonance valve?

I have just done a baseline 4wd dyno pull on my car and have Steve Wong chip waiting to go in for an independent back to back test.
Be good to know what you find Alex. I remember Frank saying that when he put the SW chip in that he felt it dulled the urgency that the LWF had given his car, so took it out and the car felt more urgent again. This is the reason I've never bothered getting one.

See you next week for some sideways stuff!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Is that the chip makes no difference to power.
When reality surfaces, all the typical hyperbole becomes apparent.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
When reality surfaces, all the typical hyperbole becomes apparent.
I was wary of resurrecting this thread but I felt I needed to give the benefit of user experience. A few more Hp would have been nice bit I'm very happy that my LWF equipped car is now drive able as a DD. It was worth the cost to get that.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

To give an objective view of the chip I used my AIM Solo to record speeds on a 2nd gear run accelerating from 2,000 rpm at full throttle. It's not an ideal recording tool as you have to try and nail the throttle at the same point on the run each time. This is what I recorded with four runs. Red trace is OEM chip, blue trace is Steve Wong chip. If you accept that the trace angle upwards indicates power, then the conclusion Is that the chip makes no difference to power.
I doubt an AIM SOLO would pick up the 6-8HP you may have gained. Thanks for taking the time to gather the data though, I like to see this type stuff, it's good to see this thread is still active, it's bad to see that the same "contributor" continues to cyber-bash his "competition".

I'm a fan of chips, generally, they work, the "no bones" procedure to finding out if one works is quite simple: If you're going to spend the $500+ for a chip, why not spend $100 on a couple of dyno runs BEFORE...then plug in the new chip, run the car for a bit then spend the $100 to see what has or hasn't improved. It only makes sense and the dyno tells all.

If there are improvements to be made, a few dyno pulls with O2 readings should disclose any areas for improvement. A tuner like SW offers a retune if you send him the dyno files and he sees if there are any areas to improve. My first results were dead on, not much to improve, unless I went up to a 98 octane file.

These people in the industry aren't dummies, watching them try to trash each other and use "big" words like hyperbole and such is just ridiculous. So I feel the need to dispatch the "thumbs down" on that note.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Too many variables for me. I'm not the most disciplined track rat so I just called it as I saw it. I suppose at least it's data.

BTW My car has no o2 sensor as some ROW cars didn't have them as stock. It also turned out to have the WOT microswitch not adjusted to activate. I'm going to get that adjusted properly and see what impact it has. Maybe I'll get some lazy hp back
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Apart from laziness, I haven't been to a dyno as 4wd makes the choice limited. Is there any way the AIM solo could be used to pick up extra hp?
Old 02-17-2014, 04:14 AM
dave964diver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
That's not the whole story though. The LWF drive ability is greatly improved. To those that don't know, the lack of intertia on the flywheel leads to a rapid loss of revs when off the gas and raises the possibility of stalling if the ECU doesn't react quickly enough coming to a rest. The chip solved that completely. Idle is also rock solid when warm

The next point is partial throttle response. It feels like 'full fat' milk compared to the normal 'trim'. Like the car is ready to rumble. Almost like the engine has a bias to rev not rest. possibly disconcerting to a cruiser but feels great for the performance loving driver.
Right so I've got no back to back data to back this up but from my experience now that I've fitted the chip.

Does not stall when coming into round abouts ie dropping off the revs or changing down.( still does very occasionally)

The idle has been blipped up as you say Jon but I have found the hunting is the same if not worse ie at a cold start it will seesaw btween 200 and 2k until it stalls on its own accord. This also happens occasionally when it's warm. I've checked the micros witches and the all the vac lines. Everything is working. So I think it still needs to be sorted ie an idle sequence run because if you stabilize the revs at around 1200rpm with the throttle and ease off the idle stabilizes at about 900k.

Underway the engine has a much earlier pick up ie torque from really low down, ie 1500rpm, in some respects this almost feels a bit more like the original engine as the punchyness at 5k is not as noticeable as it was on the stock chip.

In terms of power, it still feels as quick just that the delivery is different. I do have the heat exchangers on at the min but so when the headers go back on ill have it dynoed on both the stock and Steve's chip.

After that I think I'll take it up to wayne to get it live mapped. But first I'll send the print outs to steve and see what he says.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"The idle has been blipped up as you say Jon but I have found the hunting is the same if not worse ie at a cold start it will seesaw btween 200 and 2k until it stalls on its own accord. This also happens occasionally when it's warm."

A real improvement, right?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"The idle has been blipped up as you say Jon but I have found the hunting is the same if not worse ie at a cold start it will seesaw btween 200 and 2k until it stalls on its own accord. This also happens occasionally when it's warm."

A real improvement, right?
Wow youve really got a vendetta against this guy. The Idle issues were the same before the chip Loren.

By Steves own admission (Before I even ordered it) I would need to have an idle sequence run for the dme.

The Idle issues are due to cams, no harmonic balancer, LWF and a single belt pulley.

Imho there is simply no inertia at low revs and the isv is too heavy handed on its adjustments for this engine. So the stock DME is struggling to cope.

I gave Steve my engine specs for a custom chip. by all accounts it is performing as it should. before it would stall into every round about. Now very rarely.

When the idle micro switch kicks in the isv kicks in. At small rev changes it stabalises pretty quick but at larger revs it really struggles and over compensates.

The only way to deal with this would be a live map, and failing that a change to an aftermarket ecu.

lets see what happens after Ive had it in for idle sequencing.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

He does, he's a troll and has no leeway when it comes to admitting that OTHER "tuners" can do the job as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Its been my experience that the SW chip works really well. Better low end, smoother idle, and the overall driving experience is improved.

Excellent ordering, shipping, instructions, and installation.

For me, well worth the cost.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch9000
Its been my experience that the SW chip works really well. Better low end, smoother idle, and the overall driving experience is improved.

Excellent ordering, shipping, instructions, and installation.

For me, well worth the cost.
Same experience for me

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip?