Sponsored by:

running costs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so the car has lots of receipts, that´s good, but do nevertheless a good PPI to be really sure.
this cars can be expensive if neglected, ask me how I know....
Old 06-20-2009, 01:54 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

From the pics.
Stock air filter, stock wheels, stock ride height. It looks like an unmolested specimen. That is good or bad depending how you look at it. I bought mine tastefully modified which is fun, but that can hurt the resale.

The stock calipers look to be painted to look like big reds.

The price is great. Even if it goes horribly wrong and you get the $11k rebuild you are still only in the new Honda Civic range and you have a hell of a lot more car than a Civic.

Paint and overall appearance is nice.

I like the service records, but they are from 10 years ago. As far as the engine work, you will need the rennlist pros. Geoffrey and Steve Weiner among others are a wealth of knowledge on engine related issues.

It has the distributor vent kit installed, good.

I do not see a tool kit.

I am not sure, but the seats look baggy to me. The floor mats look brand new. Has it been underwater? Attached is my ‘bad’ seat. Although old and tattered the leather fits. And the rear too.

Overall I think it could be a deal, but the car strikes me as leery. Get a full PPI and vin check.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info - I realized my posts were confusing. The ebaylink is for a different car than the one with all the receipts. The one with the receipts is a red one with 96K miles not far from where I live. A lot of the engine work was done by Jim Watson inTN who is a very well know porsche mechanic. It is red with black interior - probably my least favorite combo, but if the car is in really good shape all that may not matter. Something tells me I can live with the color much easier than a bad car with a good color combo!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Okay - i drove the 1990 C2 I was looking at today. Car drove really well but was trying to stall at idel some and when I would just touch the gas. It also smoked some from under the car after driving - it did not appear to be from the engine (this is the car with nearly $15K work of receipts from Mr. Watson in TN). The car is at a porsche dealer getting a compression test, having a tempermental spoiler looked at and attempting to see what the smoke is from. Otherwise the car looked almost new save for a few small plastic parts. the onterior was amazing.

Seems like a good car at the price asked if the smoke is not an issue..........only 90K miles too.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If the smoke was something minor, it would probably have been fixed before putting the car up for sale. Neglected maintenance and repair items are usually not isolated. Either the PO took care of the car, or else did only the minumum possible to keep going. The smoke and stalling is a warning that the latter is the case, or else the mechanic is not competent. Run away in either case. Remember, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated. Looks like you're doing the right things in getting things checked out.

Now visualize some of these thngs (or others) happening to you after you own one? Not trying to be negative at all, I love my car to death and hope you find a good one, but issues come up that will make you sweat at the thought of them (thank goodness for Rennlist). The love has to be there, as the fun has only just begun after you bring one home. Something tells me you fully understand though, you've already restored a car so you're WAY ahead of me when I fist got my car. This car is the red/black combo? If this car doesn't workout, it's important that you got to drive in another one. Each one will work its magic in different ways.

Off to a visit to the Porsche museum in the morning... see it's a sickness!
Udo
Old 06-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. i have restored two cars - a 1965 mustang and working through a 1973 land rover now. Neither of these scare me at all compared to the porsche as the cost of "major" issues is only fractional in the mustang or landy when compared to a 964. I do know that the car had an engine rebuild about 3K miles ago. However, htat was also in 2006 so the car has not been used much at all in the last three years. More to come when I get the report. The guy just put it up for sale and actually is having the compression testing and smoke looked at on his own. He called me to tell me he was taking it in and I could meet him at the dealer for a test drive. so far he has been very forthcoming. And the car is only $15K - seem pretty good if it checks out okay.

Also, there was an open recall on the stearing? Any idea?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

I drove the 964 coupe this AM and a 87 3.2L cab this afternoon. I have to confess I like the way the cab drove better - seemed a lot more "raw" and felt more like an older classic car than the 964. I kinda like that. I guess I am more confused now - I was hoping driving the two would make it an easier decision. That is the second time that I have driven a 964 and 911 3.2 and preferred the 3.2L cab excperience more.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Can a car seat be put in a 3.2 or 3.6 cab?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Hey gang. I am interested in a car on the Bay - Talked with the guy and sounds interesting. ANything look out of place in the pics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...3A1%7C72%3A317
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

You can't see too much in the ebay ad but I noticed a few things. The rear wiper arm is missing. There are no closeup photos of the nose of the car and lastly, it appears to be lowered but there is no mention of that in the description.

Otherwise, the car looks nice. The distributor vent is installed. If you are interested, you should get a full PPI.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:32 AM
jim_l
Instructor

looks pretty clean, is there maintenance history available ? i found out the oil thermostat and fan were non operational on mine after i bought it.
Are you going to check it out in person.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am aware of the wiper arm (is that hard to find and replace). the owneer is an enthusiast and seems like a strait shooter. I will of course get a PPI.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

The wiper arm is $207 new.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...9%2C%20Rear%20

I am not sure about ‘the ventilation fan hums’ When I bought my car the fans hummed and squeeked. The PO replace both fans at a cost IIRC of $200 and $400.

Do you know what the reserve is?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Folks remove the wiper arm; I'm sure you can get used one.

Quick Reply: running costs?