Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running costs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price he would sell for is $15000. This is one of three $15K cars I am looking into. One being the red/black 1990 with 96K miles and the other a white cab.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

$15,000 seems high for eBay. Look at the completed 964 auctions. Low mileage cars are not going above ~$15,000 and his has 140K miles.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I hear ya that 15K seemed high (it sold for 13,5 before I could get back with the guy). I am ready to buy, any nice coupes out there in my price range? Seems a lot of folks say there are but I am having a hard time finding them. Or, if they are on ebay, sell before I could ever get a PPI done........
Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

looks like the red one I was going to get will fall through - too much work required (two bad cyl plus a bunch of other). How does this one look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

I am trying to find one around the 15K mark so please let me know if you come across any......
Old 07-10-2009, 08:52 PM
gfmcl
AutoX

Did you see this one ?? It's in our area. Know nothing about it.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1263535221.html
Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Wow - nice car. I had not seen it even though I search daily. Thanks - I sent h im a note.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I hope it turns out to be a great car, the color is awesome. Aventurine Green?
The owner’s text sounds scary though, I have a lot of questions:

HOT! HOT! HOT! (please)
An absolute Babe Magnet! A Classic Head Turner! (please+)
cried when it went over 70k (please++)
Classy blue color like no other (not able to correctly identify the color?)
Crazy, stupid fast! (maybe crazy fast, but not stupid fast? Maybe I have a coil problem?)
Got caught doing 130 in a 40 mph zone (don’t let this guy drive during the test drive)
Hate to sell but have to grow up someday - maybe! (actually, properly caring for a 964 might help develop him into a man?)

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear about this one?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I hope it turns out to be a great car, the color is awesome. Aventurine Green?
The owner’s text sounds scary though, I have a lot of questions:

HOT! HOT! HOT! (please)
An absolute Babe Magnet! A Classic Head Turner! (please+)
cried when it went over 70k (please++)
Classy blue color like no other (not able to correctly identify the color?)
Crazy, stupid fast! (maybe crazy fast, but not stupid fast? Maybe I have a coil problem?)
Got caught doing 130 in a 40 mph zone (don’t let this guy drive during the test drive)
Hate to sell but have to grow up someday - maybe! (actually, properly caring for a 964 might help develop him into a man?)

Good luck! Can’t wait to hear about this one?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Guards964
Instructor

Looks like a nice example... I watch our area everyday too, and I missed that one yesterday too...

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 07-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Okay - drove it today. it has some good and bad so I need some advice: (please excuse the typos)

Good:
1. The car is awsome looking. the color is a dark green / blue. Love the color combo
2. Car drove fantasticly. it pulled smooth and felt like a new car - very quick. Much quicker than others I have driven
3. Interior is very nice condition
4. 1994 with only 72K miles. Nice upgraded wheels too.

Bad:
1. It appears to be the original color as I check all over and there no indications otherwise, but certain areas have been repainted. He was not aware of the color code locations and I am not sure where to look either.
2. It was in a front-end accident back in 1996. Carfax reports a front end collision with a guard rail. The allignement is correct by the numbers though (I looked at a recent allignment report). The bonnet does appear to need adjusting as it is not 100% centered on the luggage compartment and the striker hits just a little off - closes fine and is a small amount off center on the gaps up the side near the fron wings.
3. No visible oil leaks or smoke. Slight oil smell after driving it though.
4. AC blows but is not cold - I assume needs charge but the PPI would id this for me
5. The oil level guage does not work

Otherwise everythign else seemed good. He said he would take $18K - I don't want to spend that much and I am not sure how much the accident chagnes the value. Does it really matter if everything is okay now and the frame was not damaged (allignment suggests it is fine). I am thinking about offering around $16-16.5 pending a PPI inspection results.

Thoughts? I really want a 964 coupe in blue, black, dark grey or maybe White and I prefer tan interior. This is the best looking and driving car I have felt yet.

Okay - ket me have it........stupid for considering a car that has been in an accident?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

oh yeah - the back left bumper corner seems a little lose or just a tad sagging.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$15-16K is probably right as it has been in an accident that registered with CarFax. I am a bit leary of the tone of the for sale post as he does not sound like an enthusiast. Be careful... (Personally, I would pay a premium for a car that is in "excellent" condition to minimize down the road icosts. This depends on your budget and need to have it now of course)

I purchased my 94 Speedster with 7500 miles on the odometer in 2000 and paid a premium. I now drive the car less than 2K per year, and it is a literal tank. No blue/grey smoke, no oil "weeping", no leaks whatsoever... I do my own maintentance, change the oil in spring and fall (maybe overkill, but it is fun to get it up on the lift and tinker) and keep it nicely detailed. These are great cars...

I have owned a 79 and now a 94 and on both cars, the oil gauge takes 15-20 minutes of normal driving to come up and register an accurate oil level reading. I won't worry too much about that... And these "older" Porsches tend to have that great Porsche smell - a mix of oil/gas/exhaust. This particular car may be burning oil, so have that checked...

The PPI will tell you everything - and be sure to get a compression and/or leak down test. I prefer doing both to get my "baseline numbers"... And to this point, I spent many years visiting a college roommate in Nashville. Every Porsche that I have owned has driven on the Natchez Trace - I made sure of that... You may want to take this car over to Wickie Laurie at Renntagg Motorwerks (a bit north of Nashville). His number is 615-226-4928. He is a no-nonsence Porsche guy who will give you the facts...

As Bruce Andersen says - buy the newest 911 that you can afford. The 94 is the best of the 964s...

Good luck!
-Blake
Old 07-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Guards964
Instructor

Brentflyfish, I've pm'd with you a couple of time before, If you would like to drive a '92 964 with about 58,000 on the clock as a comparable, or just to shoot the preverbial S**t let me know. Give me a shout I live right off anderson road in Nashville...plus I have a great looking factory rear seat delete with a beige interior...

270-535-2332

Scott
'92 Guards Red C2
Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Guards - I may just take you up on that. I remember our discussions when I first started thinking about this.

Any other thoughts on what I reported on the car?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 AM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Why is everyone afraid of a car accident if the car was repaired correctly? I know mine that I bought had a car fax said car had collision with earth/ditch. I know the only thing done was the front belly panel, which rusts out anyway. I paid good money for this car, but the motor was just rebuilt etc. lots of recent work. Should I be ok or did I make a mistake buying a low mile s rebuilt car in the low 20 k range?

I could not even find a 964 in the 15k range unless it needed lots of work and had high miles.

Quick Reply: running costs?