Sponsored by:

Zimmerman drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zimmerman drilled rotors

Hello all....this is my first time posting to this site. It was recommended by my last DE instructor that I take a look. I have already looked through many of the other posts and I am overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge on this site.
I really just wanted to start a thread so that I can post pics of my new zimmerman rotors and steel brake lines I am going to be putting on this weekend, hopefully it goes smoothly. Attached is a pic of the old girl (89 C4), waiting for our last run at Carolina Motorsport Park DE just a few weeks ago. All I have done to her so far is put H&R sway bars on her (not an easy task with the front dif. in the way) and put Michelin Pilot A/S's on her (great in the rain on the road and track by the way). She is great car and hope to have her many more years.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Welcome!

Steel lines are not necessary. The factory uses stock rubber lines on their race cars.

I've had Zimmermans on my first 964 that I tracked with stock pads and was OK. Once I moved to more aggressive brake pads, they cracked. YMMV.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM
mpeters951
Racer

Also, and admittedly a bit OCD, but Zimmerman does not do side to side directional. Simple couldn't live with that.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The directional drilling thing, in my opinion , just indicates a lack of willingness by the manufacturer to outlay a few more dollars on proper production methods. All the alternatives I've looked at have directional drilling or slotting and zinc coated hats so there's no reason why Zimmerman should not.

Welcome Ian, it's great to see your car with the war-paint on and looking for trouble! Feel free to post a few more pictures of you out on the track.

Neil
Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome, Agent 009.

(...Licensed to thrill)

"The name is Four. NineSix Four."

(And to your owner/driver/wrench -- Welcome! Nice car.)
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. Good to see you got the memo about a picture in your first post. Congrats on owning the fastest color, and welcome to the slippery slope.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ian89C4
Hello all....this is my first time posting to this site. It was recommended by my last DE instructor that I take a look. I have already looked through many of the other posts and I am overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge on this site.
I really just wanted to start a thread so that I can post pics of my new zimmerman rotors and steel brake lines I am going to be putting on this weekend, hopefully it goes smoothly.
Changing the rotors and pads is a fairly straight forward process. However removing the rear caliper is a trick. You need a long 10mm allen wrench either modified or with a pipe.

More details here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post6491364
Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by mpeters951
Also, and admittedly a bit OCD, but Zimmerman does not do side to side directional. Simple couldn't live with that.
None of the 964 or 911 rotors are directional except the 930 f/r, 964RS f and 964T f.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by rotorheadcase
The directional drilling thing, in my opinion , just indicates a lack of willingness by the manufacturer to outlay a few more dollars on proper production methods. All the alternatives I've looked at have directional drilling or slotting and zinc coated hats so there's no reason why Zimmerman should not.

Welcome Ian, it's great to see your car with the war-paint on and looking for trouble! Feel free to post a few more pictures of you out on the track.

Neil
Since no 911 or 964(base models) were designed w/ curved internal vanes, none can have a directional drill pattern and none did. The only 964 rotors that are drilled oem are the 964RS rear which uses a 951 drilled rotor but is still non directional and the 964RS f and the 964t f both of which have curved internal vanes and cast in holes that follow the internal structure.

Any of the smaller 298x28 964 front rotors that are drilled were done after the manufacturing process and are indeed really drilled(as opposed to the oem cast in holes)
Old 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he is talking about the 'direction' of the holes. As in, on the right side, they look like they spiral outward or in the direction of rotation, but if you put them on the left side, they look backwards. Not so much the vanes on the inside as a 'true' directional rotor.

And I agree, it's a cosmetic thing, but it drives me nuts also.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:41 PM
mpeters951
Racer

10-4 on that rattlsnak. A/R, OCD.......whatever, I can't handle the fact that Zimmerman uses 1 pattern for left or right fitment. That's one reason I started looking for a value alternative to anything Porsche branded. Said branding adding an average of 486.2173% margin to the bloody part.

For me personally, brakeperformance was like a found money victory - $310 for the set of slotted rotors, side-to-side directionally correct, have thus far served as well as OE on both road and track.

If rotors aren't quite commodity, their damn close.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Very good point all.....I just now noticed that. As I am just getting into the modification thing, my OCD will probably get the better of me down the road and I will end up getting another set. I will still post pics of the job this weekend, hopefully without brake fluid all over the place. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I also found some Australian made directionally vaned/slotted with zinc coated hats and temp paint for the same price as the Zims. It's the same brand used by most of the V8 Supercars. Bonus is that I'm spending it on a local product and doing my bit for the Australian economy. I gotta agree with mpeters about the whole branding vs price point issue.

I've spent a lot of time and effort modifiying my car to my taste but not as much money as I could have had I just gone with the OEM part every time. As has been mentioned time and time again on this forum, our older cars are now owned by enthusiasts who don't always have an unlimited budget for maintaining them. Porsche has already made the money on these cars from their original better heeled owners so it would be nice to see them adjust their parts for older car to a more realistic level.

Neil
Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ian - car looks great.

GL with changing the rotors - easy but be careful with the small screws holding the rotors on as they are very soft. You might also want to paint the hats as I had Zimm's before and the hats tended to rust.

Marc
Old 05-30-2009, 02:14 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Default Australian Made Rotors

Hi Rotorheadcase,

I'm in Adelaide and am looking to replace my front rotors soon....what are you using on your car ? Where did you source them and did you do the install yourself ? Also...dare I ask....$$$$ ?

Mark

Quick Reply: Zimmerman drilled rotors