Zimmerman drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ian89C4
What kinds of paint can you use on the rotor hats that is heat resistant??
POR
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

hmmm... paint that I used: whatever WalMart had on hand. (which will probably catch fire the first time the brakes are pushed hard.)

If I had to do it again, I'd probably use engine block paint, grey. Or any super heat-capable/labeled gray spray nearby.

Spraying can be done in place, but it'll now behooooove to drape plastic drop cloth everywhere and tape the bejesus over those calipers. I just did it this way. Not easy. Tedious.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 AM
ian89C4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like what I will have to do, oh well, anything to combat rust. I think I will try to find some kind of solvent to clean the hats off before I spray them to combat the paint flaking off.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
mpeters951
Racer

As bill mentioned POR; just buy their kit. That comes with the cleaner, the etching solution, and the paint. Having done this, it is easy and long term effective. Payi ng attention to the prescribed process and brushing on the final paint begets a very even surface looking much like am epoxy coat. The finish paint is very good at leveling itself.

Bear in mind the mounting surface dislikes the paint for obvious reasons.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Painting the rotor hats while on the car is not an easy task. The car looks like she is going in for surgery. I used a home depot brand etcher specifically for metal, then used an exhaust manifold paint rated up to 2000 degrees, hopefully that will last through a DE. Still have to do the rears though, its a slow process.
Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When I did my hats, I just used brush on gloss black Rustoleum and a throw away $0.79 paintbrush.

Simply held the brush to the hub and turned the hub, no fuss, no muss, and a straight cut line at the rotor. For the rears, put the baby in gear and GO!

I just wanted protection, not Concours.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
paffy01
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rotorheadcase
I also found some Australian made directionally vaned/slotted with zinc coated hats and temp paint for the same price as the Zims. It's the same brand used by most of the V8 Supercars. Bonus is that I'm spending it on a local product and doing my bit for the Australian economy. I gotta agree with mpeters about the whole branding vs price point issue.

I've spent a lot of time and effort modifiying my car to my taste but not as much money as I could have had I just gone with the OEM part every time. As has been mentioned time and time again on this forum, our older cars are now owned by enthusiasts who don't always have an unlimited budget for maintaining them. Porsche has already made the money on these cars from their original better heeled owners so it would be nice to see them adjust their parts for older car to a more realistic level.

Neil
ROTORHEADCASE

I am in New Zealand and looking at replacing rotors on my C2 race car. Can you direct me to where yo got yours and at what price.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey paffy,

I just tried to replace the ones I used last time but found that the nice slotted rotors made by DBA that I used are no longer being made for our model. They only produce the standard solid discs now. I'm in the process of researching the cost for gas slotting them or seeing if there are competition rotors will be a cost effective alternative.

Neil
Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mpeters951
...Bear in mind the mounting surface dislikes the paint for obvious reasons.
+ 1, except it is not obvious because some do it. Paint creeps, and over time that will relax the tension in the wheel mounting studs. Heat softens the paint, and there will be rapid stud tension loss the first time the brakes get really hot. Hot paint is also a pretty good lubricant. During tire impacts, there will be more micro-slippage between the wheel and the hub. That in turn will transfer shock loads on the studs. Particulary on the track, you increase the odds of getting loose lug nuts if the wheel mounting flats are freshly painted.

If you still want to paint the flats, install the wheels and torque up the wheel studs before the paint cures. Check the torque regularly until you are sure there is no relaxation.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine powder coated. Had them do inside the rotors, but not the mounting surfaces. Came out nice. This car doesn't see the track so extreme heat isn't such big deal. Corrosion resistance is high on my list.

The black is the 5mm spacer.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Zimmerman drilled rotors