Sponsored by:

Fresh air blower fan removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fresh air blower fan removal

My blower fan (RHS / UK driver side) has been squeaking intermittently for years. Only this year, it's no longer intermittant.

Car is currently in for a service, and they've told me the only way to cure it is to replace the fan. Porsche don't have one in stock - which means it needs to come from Germany and hence can't be done this week. Costs are fairly scary - £408 for the fan, plus 2.5 hours fitting plus vat.

I've got to this fan before and sprayed some lube in it which did solve the problem for a while, and I plan to try that at the weekend too. However - I remember at the time I couldn't get the fan out. I know there is a special tool, and I've seen posts saying you can make your own - but I couldn't figure out how at the time.

Can somebody give me some clues on how to get the fan out? I'm hoping that spraying some grease in there will shut it up for a little while, but I'd like to replace the fan at some point myself (once I've convinced myself that spending £408+vat on a fan makes sense.......).
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced one of my fans. I do not remember using any special tool though. Just a pain getting all the parts off to do it. I believe I had to take the expansion tank off and also the removable firewall. That was all I believe I did. Not a fun job. I got a fan from a dismatler for a fraction of the cost and it has ran for 2 years with no problems (maybe just lucky).

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duck
I replaced one of my fans. I do not remember using any special tool though. Just a pain getting all the parts off to do it. I believe I had to take the expansion tank off and also the removable firewall. That was all I believe I did. Not a fun job. I got a fan from a dismatler for a fraction of the cost and it has ran for 2 years with no problems (maybe just lucky).

Good luck.
The expansion tank only needs to be removed on LHS. On RHS it's not that bad - hang the fuse board over the car (makes me very nervous!) and take the firewall out. I don't remember it taking me very long - but couldn't figure out how to remove the fan itself.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Dave,

The process of replacing the RHS fan is pretty straight forward. Read through these threads and you will see. I was able to replace mine in about 2-3 hours. Good luck with the repair.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ront-dash.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...er-motors.html
Old 05-12-2009, 07:56 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Thanks - they make me wonder why I couldn't get it out before!

I might also see how much the fan costs in the US vs the UK price. I'll be in Miami in July, so could bring one back with me then.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Dave,

I just checked VertexAuto, their website lists the blower for $459 (USD). No affiliations.

http://www.vertexauto.com/ListItems/...20Related.aspx
Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Cheers - that would save me £100!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

One last thought, be careful you order the correct part (LHS vs RHS). They are not interchangeable.

Quick Reply: Fresh air blower fan removal