Sponsored by:

Heater Blower Motor - front/dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Heater Blower Motor - front/dash

Has anyone had one (I assume there's TWO) of the heater blower motors up front go SOUTH??

I assume there are two due to the design of the front plastic housing for the driver's and passenger's side. Months ago my heat was stuck on because one of my servos had failed and an issue with my climate control unit (CCU) - thanks to Randall and the local Porsche dealership, I installed a replacement CCU and a new servo...problem WAS fixed.

Soon afterwards, I heard a squeeking noise, commensurate to a looming bearing failure in the (or one of) blower motor up front...a few weeks later, a burning smell and heat stuck on again.

I finally got a chance to checkout WHY the heat is stuck on - it was because a fuse to the heating system blew and the servos were in "heat" mode...thinking of putting in a fuse momentarily to see if I can get the servos to cycle over to NO HEAT MODE!!

Anyway, has anyone undergone a front blower motor changeout?? Are there TWO?? (I'm just guessing at this point...no time to look it up, work, home, dog...girlyfriend...racing...) Plans are to hop on PET and/or the factory service manuals this evening and figure out what I need to replace...if there's two of those buggers in there, I'll certain replace BOTH - it doesn't appear to be a job for the faint of heart.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Jeff,

I have. I was able to change the passenger side without much difficulty. I tried to do the driver-side but didn't because I couldn't figure out how to do it without breaking open the A/C lines. I ended up paying the dealer to install the 2nd one. If your car doesn't have A/C then you can easily do both. I purchased then from Vertex Auto for $139 each.

I few items to watch for. The fans are held in with torx screws. It was very hard to see and I assumed they were allen screws. After much frustration, I tried a torx and they came out easily. You will need some sort of tool to release the clips that hold the fans in. I bent an old hack saw blade. It worked fine. No need to buy the special Porsche tool.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:39 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search for Front Blower Fan Replacement. Couple of tips when I changed my passenger side, since your putting in a new fan clip the squirrel cage off with snippers or dyke pliers. This makes it easier to slip the clip release tool "hacksaw blade" into the release, you will also see the mounting screws to be removed. Just don't plug the fan in and test it without reconnecting the crash sensor or you'll trigger the air bag light that will be on for all eternity. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

EXCELLENT info. guys!

Appreciate it, I hadn't had any issues to warrant "digging around" in there as of yet...just a servo or two.

So, is there any trick to getting that plastic housing apart?? Any pics you guys have would be helpful as well...I want to be as prepared as can be so when I do decide to tackle this problem I'll be able to knock it out in an afternoon.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mechanic just replaced the LHS fan for me (squeaking), said it was a job for the patient and methodical. He did it by removing the gas tank expansion chamber and the firewall, said otherwise he would have had to crack the A/C lines as noted above. Improvised a tool to release the clips, no biggie once you get access, apparently. RHS is apparently much easier. That's both of mine done, so I should be good for another 15 years, I hope.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry the photos are kinda blurry but I had just quit smoking and was still wearing a (several) nicotine patch when I took them. Anyway, the red arrows point to the tabs on the back of the fan housing that you need to unlock to pull the fan out and the green arrows point to where you'll find the torx head screws (going on memory here). Like Allen says it is definitely a LOT easier if you take a chainsaw to the squirrel cage. I didn't the first time and the whole process took forever.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Thanks for the tips...and pics Jason.

SO, the general consensus is to AXE the squirrel cage fan?? ...I assume the new units come with a squirrel cage attached to them then??

Anyone have a PN for these puppies?? Gonna send an email off to my parts guy, at work and not smart enough to bring the PET CD along.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Left = 964.572.015.01
Right = 964.572.016.01

By the way, I remembered using the Factory Service Manual for the procedure. Once you have the new parts in hand, you will understand the pictures posted above.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Do not Attempt Until New Blower Arrives" mine had the squirrel cage, but you never know until the new part arrives. Definetly easier with the cage axed.

Last edited by alan911sc; 05-17-2005 at 05:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Thanks Rob, thanks Alan...Jason and Darryl - you've made the R&D MUCH easier for me!

I submitted a WORD document to my parts guy - let's see what we get. Alan, advice heeded...no "destructo" moves until new part in hand.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

YIKES!!

The blower motors, from Germany, are $480 list...parts guy can get 'em for ~$320 each...that sounds INCREDIBLY high.

Rob, you obtained them from Vertex for ~$139?? ...the choice is clear.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Just checked my bill (I find it's better not to look too closely at the time of payment) and it was CDN$535 though my independent, ~USD$430. The Porsche parts people quoted me CDN$750 = ~USD$600. I originally thought they had mistakenly quoted me for two...August '04 the right fan was CDN$345...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

I guess prices have gone up. Vertex has them for $209. I'm also pasting the link but I'm not sure if it will work. In case it doesn't, you can do it www.vertexauto.com > 1991 Porsche > C2/C4 > Airconditioning/Heating > Blower Motors

I'm also pasting the link but I'm not sure if it will work.
http://www.vertexauto.com/epcproduct...vertexauto.com
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I fear that may be the blower under the left front fender rather than the blower behind the dash.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Rob, the only blower assembly I found for a 964 is $209 and it's for the front AC condensor, no right or left and the PN is 96462403501 - I don't believe this is the right part??

Quick Reply: Heater Blower Motor - front/dash