Sponsored by:

Summer Performance Tire Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:05 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Summer Performance Tire Recomendations

For the past three summers I used the Bridgestone RE050A pole positions and their life has come to an end. They seemed fine but I would like a bit of a performance upgrade without creating a brutal ride. I do not track the car. I have 17” cups and plan to use 225/45 and 255/40. The two tires that I am looking at are the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec. Does anyone have experience with both or any recommendations in general would be great.
Thanks everyone,
Peter
Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got PS2's all around in the same sizes/wheels you have. I love these tires -period. Dry, wet, track, autocross. All around a great tire IMO. Discount tire direct has a pretty good price on these right now too.
I've 'eard a few negative things about the Dunlops...
Old 04-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

My car came with Bridgestone So3's and they were nice tires, but terrible in the wet on corners. Difficult to recommend a tire since there are so many different uses. A lot of people like Yokohama tires. I am currently running Falken and have been really happy with them.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same size wheels and tires. I recently put on Yokohama S-Drives. I use them for street and some auto-X, and am very happy with the performance. They are quiet, and the ride is not too ruff.
At about $100.00 each they are a good deal. With 255's in the rear, watch the clearance to the oil line.
I installed 5MM spacers.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Dunlop Dirizza Sport Z-1s on my 964. I bought these before the Star Spec version came out. They are awesome tires!! If you ever autocross you will love these tires. I am getting ready to buy a set for my Subby STI. They are quieter than the Dunlop Sport 9000s I replaced, and ride quality is the same or better. My car is now a slot car. I knocked almost 3 seconds off my AX time and have taken many FTDs since changing tires, I used to be 2nd or 3rd overall most of the time. I highly recommend them, with one word of caution, they need a few miles to warm up and just like any high performance tire they can be slippery in cold weather until warmed up. The "star spec" are supposed to warm up quicker than the ~1 year older version I have. Dunlop currently has between $50 and $75 rebate on thes at the Tire Rack. These tires are a notch up in performance to the Bridgestone PP 050s. Go to Tire Rack and read the reviews http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Craig
How are they in heavy rain and do you think they would have a tendency to loose traction quicker on a wet road then a tire lke a Michelin PS2 or a Yokohama. Also how are they on normal crappy roads?
yes, I was impressed by the reviews and price but I don't want a tire that is great on the track but not for everyday driving, although I am totally into the slotcar performance driving to work everyday.
Thanks for the feedback.
Peter
Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Peter:

I'm running the same size and rim as you.

I only had the PS2s on for a couple weeks. But in that time period, I've driven in -6 degrees C or 21F (had a 3 day cold snap). Excellent on ice for a summer tire. Then we had torrential April showers, again, performed flawlessly.

Today I completed 15 - 20 laps on a short DE circuit, collision avoidance (threshold braking), slalom and skidpad work and a 250 mile round trip home. The are nicely heat cycled and have taken a pounding on our pock-marked Canadian roads. Stunning.

They are super sticky. There are "one level" down from the Michelin Cup tires. Very hard to break traction, tremendous lateral grip. You see where I'm heading with this? I would highly recommend them.

Cliff
Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Psiegel,
These tires perform very well in the rain, but saying that, I live in the desert and have only driven in the rain 2 times with them and they didnt hydroplane or seem slippery. Overall the tires are pretty comfortable, much better than any run flat tires Ive experienced on BMWs, or the Bridgestone RE070s on my STI which feel like they are full of concrete instead of air. The ride and wet weather handling is as good as the Dunlop Sport 9000s that were previously on my 964. Im ordering a set for my STI this week. For the price I dont think you can beat the Dirizza Z 1s. They offer reasonable ride comfort and will be a large notch up in performance on almost any other non R tire out there. My tire size is 225 40 18 in front and 265 35 18 in the rear, so my sidewall is slightly shorter than yours and I find them comfortable. Turn in is crisp and they stick like glue. I have autocrossed against folks running Mich PS 2s and they are a great tire also, but PS2s cost way more money and are in the same performance class as your Bridgestone 050 PPs. With either the PS2s or the Dirizzas you cant go wrong, but the Dirizzas will be higher performance.
I just went to the 993 page and they are discussing the same tires, one thing to note there are Dirizzas and there are Dirizza Z 1 Star Spec, they are different tires. here is the link https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=14871

Last edited by CraigC; 04-14-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Default Has anyone tried the Goodyear Eagle F1s Asymmetrics on their car?

Have it on my wife's beemer, and they're great.

Quick Reply: Summer Performance Tire Recomendations