Electric Seat Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 AM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Seat Problems

Hi,

Is there any common fault with the engines in the seats on the 964 series?

I have measured a nice voltage all the way from the battery, thorugh the switches to the actual electric engines.

But they still do not work. I hear a "click" in one direction, otherwise both engines (on one seat) are all stationary. I would imagine the same result would be if the end micro swithces are faulty too (if any).

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 04-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it that they won't move forwards and backwards or up down etc?

I had something similar with mine. Are both seats pushed right back? If so, it is possible that they are jammed at the back of the rails. Under the front of each seat - behind the plastic cover is a flexible drive shaft which connects the seat mechanism to the motor for moving them back and forth. The drive shafts just pull out of the motor. Try disconnecting the drive shaft from the motor and then check the motor with the switch. If it turns, then you know it is not a power issue but the seat rail mechanism. The way I solved it on mine was to work out with way the motor was trying to turn the drive shaft to move the seat forward and attached the drive shaft to a power drill rather than the seat motor which had the extra torque needed to break the seat loose again!

I guess this could also happen with the other seat movements, but suppose it'd be a bit of a coincidence if everything jammed up at the same time, but worth a look!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

I would bet it is mechanical as Andy outlines above. The easiest way is to do the "bucking bronco":. Just don't let anybody see you.

Originally Posted by Phil
commen problem. Ya gotta "scootch" it forward. What ever you do, do not let anyone seee you do this!! sitting in the seat, withone hand on the pwr seat control(holding it in the forward postion) use your hips/pelvis to move the seat forward. It will work
Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 AM
cy7878
Instructor

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...wer_seats2.htm

Here is a description of what to do. But I learned the hard way. McKenna Porsche sells the cable for $56 whereas Pelican charges more.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

The seats are 4 way. Up and down front & up and down rear. Back and forth and back rest is manual.

I just wonder if it really is the cables since the engines does not sound like they are working,
except for up front, which is the only way it "clicks". But since it is already at maximum height it does not move any further.

Thanks alot!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine used to click too. I still think it just the mechanism being stuck. Do you feel any vibration in the seat when you press the button? Can you tell if the actual drive shaft for raising and lowering the seat moves or shakes as you press the button - ie showing signs that it's being torqued up?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:44 PM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

Mine used to click too. I still think it just the mechanism being stuck.

I will try to disconnect the engines as mentioned earlier to see if both of them work in both directions.

Do you feel any vibration in the seat when you press the button?

Nope, I see the engine tries to move but stops immediately. And that is only in one direction of the four possible. The other four switches, no movement, no nothing.

Can you tell if the actual drive shaft for raising and lowering the seat moves or shakes as you press the button - ie showing signs that it's being torqued up?

I would say it does not move at all. But then again, the only response I get, is when I press the (front) up switch and that is already fully extended.

Daniel
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default electric seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
I have the same problem only on the drivers side back support part,click and then a small movement like the motor is trying to work and then nothing.
The rest of the seat functions? I hope someone else has had this and can chime in with a fix.

regards Gaz,

ps, if i get info back away from this thread i'll post the fix
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I hade the same thing, it's the switch that gets dirty. Pull it our from the side of the seat, clean the connectors and "spend some time with it in your hand" and it will come alive again.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

The connectors was on my list too, especially as they felt funky. But I measured the all the way from the Battery of the car to the actual engines and when I pressed UP or DOWN on them, the current was passed on to the electrical engines.

I cannot find any Micro Switch in the schematics for the end positions, have I missed them? Or are there none?

Daniel
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Daniel,

I've had similar symptoms and the fault in my case were the switches were dirty.

See
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...lace-them.html
and
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...out-there.html
Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 AM
S_GO_GTS
Advanced

I have ruled out the switches, but I will check the links out thoroughly, thanks!

Daniel

Quick Reply: Electric Seat Problems