Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat does not move forward ?? .. help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat does not move forward ?? .. help..

I just got my new TT (finally a 9 month search is over) -- ill post pics later.
But, the only problem is that the drivers seat does not move forward.
It is 8way normal seat.

It moves in all other directions fine (recline, rake/tilt, etc), but is stuck all the way towards the back. I hear the seat motor trying to go forward, but it does not !! I tried pulling the carpet up in case it was jamming the seat, but it still doesnt move. Can it be too far back and somehow off the track??

What can i do, as i really cant drive well like this.
The passenger seat is fine.

help.. this is the only thing preventing my TT bliss ..
Old 06-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

commen problem. Ya gotta "scootch" it forward. What ever you do, do not let anyone seee you do this!! sitting in the seat, withone hand on the pwr seat control(holding it in the forward postion) use your hips/pelvis to move the seat forward. It will work
Old 06-11-2004, 02:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Phil I had this happen in the passenger seat. "Scootch" implies a gentle rocking motion fore and aft. This did not work for me. I had to "Bang the holy hell out of the seat like my first girlfriend in college". Then the mechanism caught and the seat behaved normally after this procedure. Although the term "Bang the holy... college" term is not politically correct it implies the correct effort to reengage the mechanism. College is a politically correct time frame term to protect younger readers of this forum so that High school is not considered to be appropriate for having relations with ones girlfriend. All other questions can be referred to my lawyer.
The following users liked this post:
Sagres74 (06-06-2020)
Old 06-11-2004, 03:09 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fasten your seat belt tight and buck like a bronco, or hold down the button while giving the seat back a good wack. Many threads on this can be found using the search function and you can read lots of other techniques.

Solution is to put the seat all the way back and then hit one blip of the button to move it forward off the stop. This seems to prevent it from ever getting stuck again.

Old 06-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I too have had this problem and the "Bang the holy hell out of the seat like my first girlfriend" does work. However, if it is stuck really bad and takes a lot of banging, you may have to think about baseball while you do it to get through to a successful conclusion.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:36 AM
SLVR
Pro

Talking

My first two 993s had 8 way seats in them and both had this problem. I found that if I drove the car for a while (5 or 10 minutes) it would come "free". Given that I am 6'4" that is no issue with the seat all the way back.

If you happen to be a lot shorter, and can't drive with the seat all the way back, you'll have to use the "technique" recommended above :-) Or find somebody tall to volunteer....
Old 06-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You may need a new 60 dollar cable(it looks like a speedometer cable) that is fairly easy to replace but must be done properly............or you have to buy another one. If you hear the seat motor running and scooching and bucking fail to move it. You will need a new cable. It also may have just come loose. If it looks frayed at all=replace it.
Steve
Old 06-11-2004, 10:33 AM
KB993
Intermediate

I also had this problem within the first few months of owning my 993. I had my wife sit in the seat while I was in the backseat. She held the button to move the seat forward, and kept trying to scoot forward while I whacked on the bottom of the seat. The gears finally caught. To avoid the problem, whenever I have to adjust the seat I always move the seat fully back and then adjust it about 1/2" forward. I haven't had a problem since. This was also the recommended fix from the dealer.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Baseball? That never worked for me. I use the "naked grandmother" method.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:18 AM
David Danhof
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bravo Oldguy!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 PM
nman413
Drifting

I bought Recaro seats instead.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In my case, with my passenger seat stuck in farthest back position, jumping in the seat back and forward with seatbelt fastened did not help. Banging on the bottom of the seat with the hand did not help neither. I was almost ready to give up, so I got into the back driver side seat and gently but firmly kicked the seat cushion forward - and voila - it started moving. I almost could not believe it.

I think I read that the problem with stuck seat is actually with those plastic washers that got stuck to the metal stoppers. So what is needed is to move them a little, so washers would set free.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 282 Posts

Go western on it. GiddyUP!! (search archives--don't mess with those evil seat cables unless you absolutely must!!)
Old 06-12-2004, 12:55 AM
jz993
Racer

Rob, if you can get the seat out of the car, I recommend you do it. The PO of my car lost alot of change down there, and when I removed the seats (for reupholstering; I'm cheap, but not cheap enough to remove seats for $5.14 in change ) there was a quarter jammed in the track so hard, a spot weld on the rail broke while I was chiseling it out! There were several other coins badly bent and chewed up lying loose. I was SO lucky the seat never froze in a position blocking the floor bolts. Those seat motors are powerful!
Best of luck in your new car.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:35 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Jeff

Good call. Same thing happened to my passenger seat. A penny was stuck in the track. The PO had lost about $3.00 in change under the seat.

Quick Reply: Seat does not move forward ?? .. help..