Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont buy cheap seats - honestly you WILL regret it...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
964rh
Pro

In what way? are we talking comfort or safety?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

i'm talking stuff like corbeau forza sport 2000 for like £99 each....

probably both comfort and safety!

you need to spend a good couple of hundred quid on a seat to be safe IMHO.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

oh i see what you are getting at lol

i wouldnt class yours as cheap!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
964rh
Pro

, thought you were going to say cobra seats have a habit of snapping in two!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

oh, you bought THOSE seats....

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
964rh
Pro

Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

No, i would rather save and wait for those tasty recaros or GT3 seats etc.

Took my rear seats out today...boy, does that feel therapeutic taking weight out of the car !
Dont know why 911s have the bloody things to be honest, its supposed to be a sports car !
Just the seat backs weighed 4.5Ilbs each so thats 4kg out in about 5 minutes flat !

Re: the carpets and soundproofing...is it easy enough to lift the carpet and remove the stuff out from underneath and relay the existing carpet for now? Is the s/proofing in sections or laid as a mat across floor of car? I can see why it weighs so much now after examining a piece of it in the rear footwells. Crazy !
Likewise the roof soundproofing, i can see the zip at rear of headlining, is it possible to pull that sheet of foam out from that zip or do you need to start loosening all the window trim etc

Also, what about the engine insulation & soundproofing...is it wise to remove that or leave it in?

sorry for all the questions, i'm like a dog with a bone !
Old 03-17-2009, 03:42 PM
964rh
Pro

Hi Mark

you don't have to take windows out but to get most of it out you will have to take out the centre console, rear shelf, rear side panels and rear wiper. You will have to remove carpet as well as it's glued to the soundproofing.

The soundproofings the real 80's stuff, foam glued to the floor with a thick (and prob. really brittle) rubber blued to that and finally carpets glued on top.

Haven't got a zip on my headlining (prob. due to no sunroof, perhaps Demonfish can tell you whats under there) but my engine soundproofing stayed put, mainly due to the reason that to do the job properly I think it's an engine out jobbie.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to what Rob said....if you just want to first remove the biggest pieces of soundproofing in the footwells you can just slice round the edges. The front footwell soundproofings are not glued in because of the wires that run underneath. Mine was soaking from a previous leak (quite common) and looked horrible:

Underneath it was nice and clean though:

However once you've junked it you'll need to make some plywood boards to put under the carpet (Rob made some really neatly finished ones for his ) or get some of the track mats that are sold by one of the Rennlist sponsors (Rennline?) because as you can see above the floor is not even.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Thanks Boxsy, handy pictures always help.

Damn, that makes it a bit trickier, having to level it all out again with plywood I was expecting a relatively smooth floorpan under all that layering. I take it you would have to fix that ply down too, either glued or screwed to stop it moving about under foot ? It also kinda defeats the object of losing weight !
Do you just ply out the left side of that black square shaped conduit?..ie in line with the pedals.
Isnt there a lightweight foam alternative to put there in place of the s/proofing? ie like the stuff thats in the roof lining (kind of like the charcoal colour foam they pack pc bits in). That would perhaps eliminate needing ply.
What are track mats?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need something solid under your feet, especially under your heels when driving, in my experience. The track mats are ideal for this:

http://www.rennline.com/Track-Mats/products/172/

In the mean time I laid light weight foam pads (like the stuff you get for kneeling pads when gardening) in the wells and then cut some plywood to lay on top. At some point I'll treat my car to some of the Rennline track mats which bolt direct to the floor plan, remvoing the need for any extra weight underneath.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

thanks again Boxsey. They look a bit cumbersome and quite pricey for a bit of alley. Ive got a mate who could probably make them if we had a template, if not i bet a local alley fabricator would knock them up at half the prce !
I see that Rennline do car batteries for road use that are half the weight (23Ilbs) of the stock fitted ones (47Ilbs) and an even lighter one recommended for just track use.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:49 AM
964rh
Pro

I velcro'd mine down along the raised part of the floor pan with a few squares of the stuff Steve used to level out.

Sprayed black and bobs your uncle, had no probs on various TD's.

Going to NYC in Nov. when the missus runs the marathon so I may get some rennline mats delivered to the hotal and save on the shipping (along with wevo engine mounts and brake pads!!!)
Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

any particular ply thickness? Spraying blacks a good idea...had visions of a naff bit of wood ply in my footwells I take it you get the velcro strips from a decent haberdashery place? (girls shop)

Do you need to do the same for the passenger footwell or is that reasonably level ?

Rob, on your post you linked to about stripping out the interior and re-carpetting from Apbiz?, you mention having a set of pics on 'how to'..any chance you could email them to me?
cheers

Last edited by Mark J; 03-18-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Breather Venting, weight reduction and other ramblings.