Sponsored by:

Engine Drop Questions and Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Drop Questions and Advise

Hi Gents. I'm preparing to do an engine drop in the next few weeks. I would like to hear some feedback from those of you who have been there. I did a search but couldn't find anything substantial.

Any words of wisdom and advise is well appreciated in directing me to some good threads or your expereince to make this job easier. Also what to replace while I'm in there.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Garrett did an excellent write-up a couple of years ago. That's mainly what I used when I dropped my engine & tranny last year.

Also Adrian Streather's book has some very good information.

If you look on PelicanParts.com there is a write-up in there as well. It's for an older 911, but there are many similarities.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 AM
pantera43
Pro

Ilko, as usual thanks for your input. I have Adrians book plus Bentley's Tech manual. I really wanted to get some Porsche service manuals but have not yet located any for sale.Thanks for the lead on Garrett. I'll do a search under his name.

much appreciated,

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yes, I forgot about the factory manuals. There is some very good info there as well. Very detailed. PM me your email address and I'll send you those parts.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:00 AM
pantera43
Pro

PM'd you. ilko I just did a 20 page thread search under the name of garrett376 but was unable to locate anything with regards to engine drops. Its amazing how much info. the gentleman posts !

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 10:05 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...anny-drop.html

Old 01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

BTW, I didn't use an ATV jack the way most people do it. I used a regular dolly instead. After everything was disconnected on the engine and tranny I lowered the car until the engine came to rest on the dolly. Then I unbolted the engine and tranny mounts. After that all I had to do was lift the car back up while the engine and tranny remained on the dolly.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 AM
pantera43
Pro

ilko, received the email and thanks to both yourself and garrett376 for posting this . A HUGH help. Hmmm, thats an interesting way of dropping the engine. Makes a lot of sense!

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the purpose of the drop? you can do all kinds of different drops depending on what you need to do...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some thoughts from when I did my clutch here
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM
pantera43
Pro

J richard, the main purpose of the drop is to fix a lot of nagging leaks (power steering pump, 2 left bank oil return tubes to name a few) and do a valve adjustment.

Doug, thanks for the thread. The more info and pictures I have the better. Man you did a lot of work!

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The oil tubes need to be done from the bottom, and it's far easier to drop the exhaust and do this from below with the motor still in the car, (unless you are planning to split the transaxle from the motor and put it on a stand to get access to the underside) Just remember that once the motor is out you have a 500lb dead weight that isn't real easy to manage. So even if you end up dropping the motor, take care of anything underneath first.

You can drop the motor without the trans, it takes a bit more finesse but less time than dropping the whole assembly, you don't need to mess with axles or shift linkages, but do need to fuss with the clutch fork. Another alternative is a partial drop which leaves everything hooked up just lowering the motor to get access to the back.

I've always done this with a floorjack and strategically placed blocks. The key is getting the clearance under the back of the car to get the motor (while its on the Jack/blocks) out from under it. Not too tough but you'll get alot faster after the first time.

Have fun with it.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
pantera43
Pro

Originally Posted by J richard
The oil tubes need to be done from the bottom, and it's far easier to drop the exhaust and do this from below with the motor still in the car, (unless you are planning to split the transaxle from the motor and put it on a stand to get access to the underside) Just remember that once the motor is out you have a 500lb dead weight that isn't real easy to manage. So even if you end up dropping the motor, take care of anything underneath first.

You can drop the motor without the trans, it takes a bit more finesse but less time than dropping the whole assembly, you don't need to mess with axles or shift linkages, but do need to fuss with the clutch fork. Another alternative is a partial drop which leaves everything hooked up just lowering the motor to get access to the back.

I've always done this with a floorjack and strategically placed blocks. The key is getting the clearance under the back of the car to get the motor (while its on the Jack/blocks) out from under it. Not too tough but you'll get alot faster after the first time.

Have fun with it.
Thanks for explaining the various methods. I did plan on separating the tranny and placing the engine on a stand. Perhaps I should remove the exchanger as you mentioned before pulling the motor.

Thanks for your advise and I'll try to have fun,

Dan
Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

I did it a few months back, its not hard. I think i did a writeup on here somewhere with pics. I just used Adrians book, and the guys knowledge on here. my car is a turbo so their are some differences.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:47 PM
pantera43
Pro

Well, I'm hoping not to run into too many problems. I really appreciate everyones input. Besides the great group of gents on this forum I also have the help of a great group of friends who are going to help or perhaps I'll be helping them.

Thanks again everyone,

Dan

Quick Reply: Engine Drop Questions and Advise