Sponsored by:

Premium for RSA over identical C2

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Premium for RSA over identical C2

I'm curious what the premium value applied toward an RSA is over an identical C2. I understand that they are not identical cars but I'm trying to see what you all feel is a fair increase over a C2 in terms of real value. Is it $10K is it $15K? I'm looking at both cars and I'm thinking that maybe it's a better idea to pay up for an RSA considering rarity etc, even though it may be quite a bit more expensive. Thoughts?

Also, what do you think the premium is for a non sunroof RSA over a sunroof RSA?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I've seen, it seems to be around $10-12K at the moment on comparable cars. Although with the economic state, there is a lot of fluctuation and great deals are out there on C2's and RSA's if the seller is distressed enough.

I would say that overtime the RSA is of course the better investment, but that all depends on what your intentions are with the car. I elected to buy a C2 because it was primarily a track car and there are no real performance differences. They way I thought of it is that there is no use putting an extra $10K into the wall.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Subtle twist on your line of questions:
In the far future, will RSA's enjoy blast-off status vis-a-vis their plebeian brothers, ala 356 Speedsters over any B-type 356 cab?
(I don't think so)
Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

muuuhhhhaaaaahhhhhaaaaa......could it be......ONE MILLION DOLLARS.......

I think it is really condition dependent, they guys that hold on to them as collectors cars want top dollar, but the drivers or the track cars don't have quite the premium but you are often paying for some pretty serious performance upgrades. It does seem a bit funny that guys will dump a pile of money into upgrading a RSA but consider it a waste on a C2, doesn't seem to make sense to me...apples to apples I think you're talking $5k on the low side and up to $15k on the high side (not including the real low mileage garage queens) If that is your collection in your avatar, (and its a real rs) a non sunroof, limited slip, grand prix white RSA would fit right in...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
james944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need a little more information you can check out

http://www.rsamerica.net/

to see what people are or were asking. I see that Ilko has his car listed there.

Whether or not an RSA is worth the premium you'll really have to decide for yourself. They're beautiful cars, with some desirable features, but an RSA is not a euro RS and you could have a lot of fun with a clean C2 and $10,000 to get it into perfect shape and lighten it up a little.

Sunroof delete, I'd pay extra for that.

hope this helps,
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your handy you can make your own out of a good C2 for much less than 10 grand. RSA's unique features are pretty easy to come by due to so many being turned into full time race cars...

The tail is the hardest item to find, but they show up.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 900 Likes on 550 Posts

I did not want a sunroof due to helmet clearance - there was only one option then - RSA.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:54 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

An RSA is seam welded so the premium is through the roof
Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
An RSA is seam welded so the premium is through the roof
Honestly the only advantage to the RSA is the seam welding and if your luck enough to find a non sunroof car. For 10-15K premium you can easily seam weld a C2 and put a lot of extras into it. I am happy with my C2 on the track and the RSA's are no faster than I am.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I was just joking. They are spot welded like the rest of 'em.

IMO the advantage of an RSA comes with weight reduction, more downforce, and manual steering, which are not that noticeable to most people.

As far as value, as a limited production car I think it will command a certain premium. And if Keith V's sample on rsamerica.net is correct, about 1/2 of the 701 cars came without sunroof. That makes roughly 350 (excluding the US cups) non-sunroof 964 cars imported into North America.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I was just joking. They are spot welded like the rest of 'em.

IMO the advantage of an RSA comes with weight reduction, more downforce, and manual steering, which are not that noticeable to most people.

As far as value, as a limited production car I think it will command a certain premium. And if Keith V's sample on rsamerica.net is correct, about 1/2 of the 701 cars came without sunroof. That makes roughly 350 (excluding the US cups) non-sunroof 964 cars imported into North America.
Are you sure of that. I thought the RSA's were seam welded. IIRC the factory manuals says they are and shows where and how to do it. I don't think you gain more than 95 pounds which can easily be removed from a C2. I found out that the manual rack costs $950+ 210 core charge you would loose if you wanted to swap out to a manual rack. vs $1500 for a rebuilt power rack.

So you want one of 350 non sunroof cars if you can find one. Most of the RSA's I see have all 4 options. If I were to buy one I think only the LSD would be worth having.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

They are spot welded. I think we were talking about that at Geoffrey's in the spring. The theory I read was that the early cars were left over RS and Cup chassis and were seam welded, but AFAIK that's not true. My car is one of the earliest ones (#17), it has no sunroof and is spot welded.

My car came with A/C and stereo only. I took care of that however, and added an LSD. Along with a few other things...

Good price on the manual rack BTW. Comapred to what you were quoted for a power rack.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic comes up periodically and it always devolves into the same points being made. The RSA guys think the RSA is **** and the C2 guys don't think it's worth the extra coin. That's why I swore off these threads. But I guess I'm going to break my own rule and dive in...

To the OP, if having a unique-serial-numbered low production model is valuable to you (for whatever reason-- future resale, your own personal taste, perceived collectibility), then pay the $10K premium for an RSA. If you just want to prep a 964 for track duty and flog the hell out of it, why pay the premium for an RSA? For me, it was the former. I bought a non-sunroof RSA because I love unique, low production cars (unfortunately, I can't afford most of them). The RSA is a car with an interesting origin story and the unique serial number will always protect its pedigree (and hopefully its value, but that is always a crap shoot like any investment). If all I cared about was performance on the track, then I would take cobalt's approach and prep a C2, assuming that the price difference was low enough between a given C2 and a given RSA (check around... in this market, there may be some RSA bargains to be had). However, I would also fully accept the fact that no matter how much I modified a C2, it will never have the RSA serial number and perceived collectibilty. Again, if I don't care about that and I just want a capable track car to flog, who cares about having an RSA serial number?

And I agree that the C2's are just as fast. Deep_uv and I have run nose to tail many sessions at TWS and on the longer straights, neither of us can pull on the other unless one of us boffs up exit speed on a corner.

That's pretty much where I come down on this perennial debate...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

How would one tell if it was seam versus spot welded? Mine is #002 so I think that qualifies for low serial number
Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Seam welding, crinkled paint finish, rolled fenders, "blueprinted" motors.....it just never gets old.

(yes, former 94 RSA owner(midnight blue metalllic, LSD, no sunroof)......they're just C2's with manual steering and the best seats ever put into a Porsche.

Great cars.

Quick Reply: Premium for RSA over identical C2