Sponsored by:

MoTeC and AC

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 AM
carby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MoTeC and AC

Im contemplating using the opportunity of an inevitable rebuild to tune the car to it's usable limit as a daily driver, the car already has an RS flywheel, de-cat and G Pipe so the idea of a third party ECU appeals. MoTeC make a fine brain.

How does a 3rd party ECU like MoTeC deal with sensors and extra loads like a working AC comp etc...?

Any first hand experience? The notion of being able to tune for exactly my setup appeals, I'm aware there are no adaptive qualities, the biggest hesitation with a Motec conversion on a daily/road car.

thoughts?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The MoTeC has provisions for an input for A/C request which then can be used with the idle air control valve to increase the duty cycle and allow more air when the A/C clutch engages. Further, you can assign an output for the A/C clutch relay and turn the A/C off under high load situations like near full throttle. I've used these features before.

The second 9M USA car has A/C and the A/C request was used, but the A/C clutch relay turnoff was not (but could have been). It also has cruise control which works correctly and accurately, and the anti drive-off from the alarm system will also disable the ECU. This is with using MoTeC's oldest, least flexible ECU in their lineup (M48). An M600/800 series ECU will allow much more and I've done a 996tt with drive by wire throttle, variable camshafts, and in that case, I was able to change them from 0 advance/32 degree advance swich to a 0-32 degree advance variable advance, something that is not standard on the tt engine. And most recently I've done sequential shifting in a Daytona Prototype with a 996tt engine. So, the newer, more advanced ECUs can do almost anything you'd want it to, certainly on a 964.

What else would you like to control?

Last edited by Geoffrey; 09-07-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

How much work would have to be done to interface with a Tiptronic?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 AM
carby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
What else would you like to control?
A very conclusive reply. Many thanks.

The only other thing I'd like to control is the technician to install and tune the device! A piece of the puzzle missing at this stage. You would think MoTeC gurus were thick on the ground down here...

I do like the idea of tuning the car to the mods already performed, seems a better bet than bending the factory software to perform.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]seems a better bet than bending the factory software to perform.
QUOTE]

I think it is.

That is an interesting question. For sure you would need the M600/800 series ECU which can do paddle shifting sequential transmissions. That would be for a manual mode though. For automatic mode, I think you would require some type of transmission brain that might interface with an ECU. We would need to determine how the tiptronic is controlled and work backwards to determine if it could be done.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
On a 964 the main difference between a manual and tiptronic engine is that the throttle body has a potentiometer which it uses as an input for the Tip ecu, but it uses the Tip ecu as well for the 5V supply and signal ground. Since Motec has the provision to run with TPS (and is most commonly used method for Motec load tables) either the Motec shares the TPS signal with the Tip, you could run with a dual TPS sensor set up or you could run the Motec on MAP and the Tip on the TPS.

Aside from the usual diagnostic communications (do the Tip and Eng ecu "talk" to each other through these?) there is only one other wire - an orange/yellow to the Eng ecu pin 51. My guess is that this is an engine start block, maybe one of our resident Motronic experts can help with a definitive answer on this one?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:03 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by carby
A very conclusive reply. Many thanks.

The only other thing I'd like to control is the technician to install and tune the device! A piece of the puzzle missing at this stage. You would think MoTeC gurus were thick on the ground down here...

I do like the idea of tuning the car to the mods already performed, seems a better bet than bending the factory software to perform.

I dare say I could manage a trip to Aus for the winter, Lord knows us Brits are all truly sick of the rain and could do with a little sunshine in our lives.

"Australian Gurus..... thick on the ground....." - there must be a joke in there somewhere?

Quick Reply: MoTeC and AC