C4 Handling - Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Handling - Newbie Question

Hi all,

So this morning I went to drive a 1990 C4 that I am thinking about buying and was kinda surprised with the handling. Can someone give me some guidance as to what I experienced was normal?

The car has 40,000 mi, has the original suspension and d90s with Bridgestone RE750s.

What I noticed is that above about 60-65mph, the front end seemed a bit floaty and not terribly responsive. I could move the steering wheel back and forth about 10 degrees in either direction and the car would sort of "wag" rather than track back and forth in the lane.

Is this normal? If not, what is it likely due to? Should I just stay away from this car?

Other things of note: Shifter was a bit notchy, brakes pulsed a bit, there was a bit of rhythmic noise coming from the front (diff?) on acceleration, and the car had a full (high quality) repaint about 7 years ago because the original paint had "faded." Engine pinged above about 4K RPMs (old gas?).

Thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offence, these problems don't sound like the sort you get at 40k miles.
Check the lower front wishbone bushes for the steering problem. It shouldn't feel like that.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

No offense taken, it's not my car yet.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '89 C4 with 105,000 miles and the handling and steering are both crisp and responsive, at any speed. I'd keep looking. It's a buyer's market right now.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:55 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Agree with the others. Something is wrong. I don't really get a floaty feeling until about 150 mph

Last edited by aeroman; 07-26-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '89 C4 with 48,000 miles. I played around with the air pressure in my tires to find the responsiveness i was longed for (had it too high, but within tire's spec). Though I never found the surgically precise feel of a new acura or BMW.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Check the distributor belt, as pinging is a prime clue that is broken. Check tire pressures, if they are way off it can feel floaty. Brake pulsation, how long as the car been sitting? Could be some lot rot on the brakes from sitting. Recommend a good ppi. As far as the noise, that makes me a bit nervous, but maybe tire wear? Have heard some that make the cars sound like a tractor. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:50 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the thoughts so far. If anything, the tires were underinflated rather than overinflated. But not by so much that they were squishy. Steering was definitely NOT surgical in nature. I have had BMW, Audi and Acura in the past, and this felt the worst of all.

Front end noise was not tires. It sounded more mechanical than that. I know that my A4 quattro has a bit of transaxle whine in the front, so I just wanted to make sure that the noise I heard in the C4 was not normal.

Car has been sitting for 8-9 months. Has been driven once about 6 weeks ago to get detailed.

Was originally planning to get the PPI done at the shop that is storing the car (and has done most of the work over time), but they seem to think the car is fine, so I'd have to go elsewhere and get another opinion at the very least.

I hate that this beautiful car is right here, and it's not right. But I guess that's the way it goes.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:48 PM
amr89c4
Pro

I agree with the others. I would want a PPI done, but definitely somewhere else by someone familiar with the model. Mine has never felt floaty and it should not be pinging at all. The front end noise sounds suspect, too.

Someone mentioned these things should not be happening to a 48K mile car and I agree. Thats what mine had last Sept when I bought it and it had none of the issues you mention. I know its tempting since its close, but take your time, there are good ones out there. A C4 can get in your back pocket very quickly, especially if you have to let someone else do all the work.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

17's with 225 up front make a huge difference...Then you want lowering springs,struts,larger rear swaybar!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

What do you expect for an 18 year old car that sat most of its life, with stock shocks, unknown alignment settings, old tires? It could have a million things wrong, or just some normal wear items... never know until you investigate and if you like the car, don't give up just yet!

In its prior life my current race car drove like crap, pinged under very little load, smoke and stunk of oil - and was advertised to be in excellent mechanical shape. Now it's a monster, after being just about completely rebuilt over a 3 month time span. Ahh, the joys of old cars!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

most of these folks know better but at 150,000 I had my 93 C4 aligned to RS specs. Went from an ok driver to one that is VERY responsive, very quick, lively and really fun.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bates
I have an '89 C4 with 48,000 miles. I played around with the air pressure in my tires to find the responsiveness i was longed for (had it too high, but within tire's spec). Though I never found the surgically precise feel of a new acura or BMW.
You are kidding right? I have a new TLS and regardless of the driver in it I would beat them with my 92 C4. It would not even be close.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have much to learn about suspension set-up, but lowering the PSI improved my car's handling.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:51 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Default 89 C4

I have an 89 C4 with 110,000 mi and the steering is very crisp and responsive, even "surgical", though I've not driven a "new BMW", etc. I recently replaced a leaky steering rack and did all the tie rods and there was no noticeable difference, steering is still perfect.

I think there is definetly something wrong with the car you're considering. Maybe that repaint covered up a serious accident that didn't get repaired completely?

Quick Reply: C4 Handling - Newbie Question