Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, Help, Help we are stranded on Vacation in Oregon & need Advice\Assistance!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 PM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Help, Help we are stranded on Vacation in Oregon & need Advice\Assistance!!!

The trip was going great, this is our first trip for just the wife & I in almost 5 years......
We were driving down HWY 101 just about to come into Coos Bay, Oregon (where we are now) when our alternator light came on all of a sudden. After stopping, buying a new battery, we had the alternator tested & we found out it's dead! Big Bummer!!!
So we are in need of a new alternator (overnighted, hopefully for tomorrow, Thursday) but most of all, we are in need of a truly qualified shop/person to put one in, hopefully locally if at all possible.
We have a lot of time & money into this engine and to have someone messing around in there that is not qualified would be, well unnerving...
So please if you can help (recommendations/shops/tec, etc.) please, please speak up so we can continue on our trip.
We have to make it to Santa Cruz, CA by Saturday morning for a wedding or we will be in big you know what.
Thanks listers in advance for any help or advice!!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, that sucks... didn't they film "Deliverance" up there? no, somewhere else?

Firstly, you can get about 80 miles on a fresh battery, no lights or radio blaring, so you have flexibility on where to get it repaired. I can't recommend anybody up there as far as auto repair.

Secondly, this DIY here spells it out http://p-car.com/diy/vbelt/
and here http://p-car.com/diy/alternator/alternator.html

Important for the redneck that's going to be working on your car>>>> he needs the 12 point (triple box) allen wrench to remove the belts, shims, sheaves off the alternator shaft. All other tools are common metric stuff. He needs to note the placement of the shims as he takes them off the shaft. Other than that he needs to disconnect the battery before working.

Points to watch:
1) The big cooling fan might need to be pressed off the shaft, no biggee, it's strong. The small cooling fan attached to the front of the alternator, needs to be removed, but gently! It's all plastic,but the center is bushed with bronze. This fan will break if it is mistreated.

There are spacers that might/might not come with the rebuilt unit... part # 16.
You'll notice there a big stack of parts that must be reassembled correctly.

I've done this job twice, the second time was due to the first rebuild not quite up to standard. It sounded like it had a bad bearing in it. Make sure your new rebuilt , used unit spins well, shaft straight, etc. because they don't make new ones, the rebuild them, I believe. I live in Arcata, CA which is on 101, 70 miles south of the border. I have a Hammer you can use as you pass by if this repair generates codes you need clear.

Later, Kevin
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 PM
jsham
Instructor

Kevin,
I'm not bad as a wrench but no serious tec, I have tools with me but doing this for the first time in a hotel parking lot scares me a bit. Are you offering to help and do you know where to get one???
Jamie
Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jamie. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Your best bet is to get hold of Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland 503 244-0990, he is one of the top guns in the west as far as Porsche goes, he will know the best way to get you back on the road. His website is http://www.rennsportsystems.com/

Best of luck
Steen
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 AM
jsham
Instructor

Cheers CRG53, thanks for the name, number and heads up!!! I'll give him a call.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jamie,

My apologies for missing this thread; one of my buds told me about this,.....

Two things:

1) I don't have a replacement alternator in stock and the soonest I could get one in your hands at this point would be Friday AM.

2) We don't do general repair & maintenance work here, only race & track cars.

If you can get some assistance and/or wish to tackle this yourself, I'd be happy to get you a new alternator for Friday AM.

Call me tomorrow!!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to call Sunset Imports in Beaverton for the part & repair, as well.

At least you picked a glorious spot for a break down--the Oregon coastline is unsurpassed. And isn't Coos Bay the late Steve Prefontaine's hometown?
Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

***** <--- [me, sending best mojo thoughts to Jamie & his wife.]

We're pulling for ya, Jamie. Best progress on this rework, compadre!

(also, that Steve W. seems a nice guy! Good pop, steen...)

edit- heh. 'banjos'... (Poor Drew.)

Last edited by elbeee964; 07-24-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Good luck Jamie...

BTW, Deliverance was set in Georgia and filmed in South Carolina. So other than being on the other coast of the US, it's basically the same place Jamie is. Queue the banjos.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Jamie,
You're probably busy making calls right now. I PM'd my cellphone # to you in case you need some assistance. I'm curious what your plan is.

Kevin
Old 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
sturm
Racer

Carrera Motors
800.842.1584 x 333 1045 SE Third Street
Bend, OR, 97702

Sunset Imports
503-641-8600 4030 SW 139th Way
Beaverton, OR, 97005
(Just So. of Portland)

Skip the washington coast--boring

If you get this far north Hiway 2 or 20 over the cascades is a beautiful drive (2 is much better and less traffic).

Let us know your progress

white rsa
Old 07-24-2008, 05:04 PM
sturm
Racer

google search:

Eugene would be closer to you

WW Autowerks, inc.
645 Powers, Unit F
Eugene, OR 97402
541-687-0904
www.wwautowerks.com/

Autohaus Precision Repair
1502 West 7th Avenue
Eugene, Oregon 97402
Phone: 541-683-5050

Good luck!!

white rsa
Old 07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eugene is closer, and of course Sunset is very helpful with parts. I can volunteer to do a little bit of footwork for you from the Portland area if you need it. 503 475 95 one one (Not sure what that would be, but just trying to be helpful)

Steve W is also right around the corner from me if we need to work something out.

Coos Bay is not hell, its actually a pretty decent town. Relax and see if you can find the New Carissa hulk on the beach.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

Import Parts Center
1995 Rogue River Hwy, Grants Pass, OR 97527

(541) 476-9227
Old 07-24-2008, 05:57 PM
jsham
Instructor

WOW, Thank you all!!!
My wife and I are trying like mad to get our baby back on the road to make it to the wedding & then of course home.... We may have figured something out...
We have a part coming from Sunset (Nate was awesome for setting the whole delivery up for us) having someone personally bring it down (or a son of one of the guy's that works there), then after some more searching, we found a place called Second Street Foreign Car Service (??) here in Coos Bay. Their kind of himming & hawing about assisting use on putting it in???? They have said will see when it gets here, so....... I guess will see.

Quick Reply: Help, Help, Help we are stranded on Vacation in Oregon & need Advice\Assistance!!!