Considering Selling My 93 America Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb964
993 Turbo S is the ultimate air cooled, I would trade up
Now, that's the exact arguement I presented to Gina the other night... I have to say, I drove this Turbo S and to me it was the ultimate thrill ride... Absolutely incredible accelleration... I literally had to check to see if i left some brown spots on the seats when I was done

It's being sold by a close personal friend from college... So he's in no rush to sell either... He owns several Porsches, 2 original GT40s, and 3 AC Cobras not to mention my 1970 Shelby GT350 Convertable which he bought from me 2 years ago... Guess he's trying to make some of his money back
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice car. Agree on the soft market affecting toys and a Euro buyer being the best way to get top dollar. Also try contacting Ray at RPM Motorcars in Texas.

Minor correction: the '94 C4 widebodies were coupes, not convertibles. The lore is that Porsche made the C4 widebodies to use up the remaining Turbo bodyshells left over after the Turbo 3.6 turned out to not be a strong seller (probably because the 993 was already on sale in Europe and everyone knew that a 993 turbo was coming soon).

Best of luck.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the '94 widebody coupes, when they were using up the last of the 964 turbo bodies.

I could see this really nice, low-mile example pushing $50K, these special editions seem to be fetching a lot, especially if a foreign buyer fancies having an "America Roadster".
Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd be happy with a plain old 964RS. Don't know how many they built, but most, if not every thing Porsche builds with an RS tends to end up being a collectible.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I don't want to know your Vin number but I am assuming it has a "P" code to be a 93 MY? Is there an option code M718? I ask because info regarding most of the low production cars of this era are vague at best. I know of a 92 that is supposed to be confirmed as the last AR made # 250 and it is a 92MY so if yours is a 93MY and they made 86 then are there 336 or 250 made? Interesting question. Still very low production numbers either way.

This was an issue years ago with the 3.6T's and there was controversy over whether there were 466 or 754 made for the US market. The number ended up being 466 - the turbo S's which brought it down to 411, 288 for 1993 M718 coded to re vin to MY94 and the balance as 1994 although production of all 964's ended in December 1993 the turbo S's were still being worked on by the werks department long into 1994. I am not so sure if the reasoning for the 94 C4 was to use up the left over turbo shells but there is no way to know the answer to these legends.

I know they made 750 of the widebody cabs for the ROW market but were not sold under the America roadster name.

BTW I knew of one of the original AR's owned locally and it sold for $1million.

As far as trading for a 993 turbo S that is a tough call. Either car is rare and driving them is going to devalue either as a collector car. Although there are probably far more low mileage turbo S's around than low mileage AR's. The AR did not sell well and many were around dealerships still for sale well into 1994. They were far more expensive than a 993 and 964 and were heavy. A nice Sunday cruiser but not the performance car the turbo S is. IMO the turbo S will be one of the top valued Porsche's to come out of the 90's along with the 964 Turbo S. The AR will appreciate for low mileage clean cars however I feel that if they break MSRP it will only be because of the devaluation of the US $$ as where a clean proper turbo S will IMO someday be worth far more than MSRP considering many are selling for close to MSRP today. I don't think the ROW market would bring you much more for your AR because it is not so rare to the ROW market. It is still a very nice car and would love to have one.

If you like a cab keep the AR if you like a turbo go for the S, they couldn't be any more different. Although maintaining a turbo S to it's original condition will be far more expensive than the AR. If you don't care about collectability than stay away from the turbo S. You can buy a stock 993TT and have it modified for far less than the cost of a Turbo S and get far more performance out of it. The turbo S is nice civilized turbo but IMO not as exciting to drive as the single turbo cars. I am not a fan of AWD so that is my primary reasoning behind my love affair with the 94 turbo 3.6 which IMO is the best turbo made to date.

Good Luck. Life can't suck too bad if these are the questions which we are burdened by.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
I don't want to know your Vin number but I am assuming it has a "P" code to be a 93 MY? Is there an option code M718? I ask because info regarding most of the low production cars of this era are vague at best. I know of a 92 that is supposed to be confirmed as the last AR made # 250 and it is a 92MY so if yours is a 93MY and they made 86 then are there 336 or 250 made? Interesting question. Still very low production numbers either way.
That 92 would be very difficult to be #250 since my 93 is #194 of 250... I'm the Advocate of the PCA AR registery and have compiled a wealth of info on the AR... My COA from Porsche states #194 of 250... #248 is registered with the AR Registry with a serial # later than mine and it is a 93 also... Yes, my serial # has a "P" code... Information received from Porsche directly verifies 164 in 1992 and 86 in 1993... I also have #164 (MY92) & #168 (MY93) registered so I would have to believe that Porsche's information is spot on...

There's a lot of controversy about almost every limited production Porsche... Like how extremely rare 89 Speedsters are and they made 2100 of them... Now if you have one of the 121 narrow-bodied 89 Speedsters - Then that's extremely rare or one of the 6 wide-bodied 94 Speedsters then you can name your price...
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, throw the 964.5 up on ebay, get rid of it, and get the 993. Done. An America Roadster is never going to be a collector's item. None of the luxury Porsches ever have been. Sounds like an easy decision to me.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to concur with Noah. The AR was a sale gimmick in a time of a poor economy. i would equate it's existence with the 1980 Weissach 911...of which there are presently 3 in Pano for sale. Or, the 1976 912...which everyone trying to sell one points out that it's rare @ only 3000 copies built. There are more recent examples... the orange Boxster, and the silver 550 edition with the red interior. The 911 Club Coupe. The 2004 Bullitt Mustang. Surely there is always a market (who'll pay top dollar) for those gimmick editions but those buyers are few and far between. Badges and trim don't make for a rare car....racing pedigree or some other factor may prevail. If you have to tell someone it's rare and valuable it usually isn't.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
I'd be happy with a plain old 964RS. Don't know how many they built, but most, if not every thing Porsche builds with an RS tends to end up being a collectible.
"Plain old 964RS" - ha ha! The 964RS is a classic and I'd take one over an AR any day. The RS is a real driver's car!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bull30
It's an America Roadster... Do some homework and you will see... Because you you never know if you're going to wake up one morning and decide you gotta have a Porsche Convertible before you croak, but have your sight set on ONLY the factory "Turbo-look" Wide-Bodied Version...Well, your choices are extremely limited.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
"Plain old 964RS" - ha ha! The 964RS is a classic and I'd take one over an AR any day. The RS is a real driver's car!
The RS is a real driver's car as oppose to the AR is a car for someone who wakes up one morning, strokes himself or his domestic partner a couples of times, and decide "you gotta have a Porsche Convertible before you croak, but have your sight set on ONLY the factory "Turbo-look" Wide-Bodied Version"?. Seriously, who the fuch wakes up one morning and say "I gotta have a wide bodied version of a 964 C2 cabriolet before I'm going **** up". If it was me, I'll pick any of those GTs, RSs, any of the 911 turbos, and RSRs ( after a satisfactory stroking session, of course )
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixcrazy
Seriously, who the fuch wakes up one morning and say "I gotta have a wide bodied version of a 964 C2 cabriolet before I'm going **** up".

Don't get discouraged here bull, hey, look, it's a great car, I've seen it in person -- it's beautiful. But a 993 Turbo is way better. That's all anyone's trying to say.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by bull30
That 92 would be very difficult to be #250 since my 93 is #194 of 250... I'm the Advocate of the PCA AR registery and have compiled a wealth of info on the AR... My COA from Porsche states #194 of 250... #248 is registered with the AR Registry with a serial # later than mine and it is a 93 also... Yes, my serial # has a "P" code... Information received from Porsche directly verifies 164 in 1992 and 86 in 1993... I also have #164 (MY92) & #168 (MY93) registered so I would have to believe that Porsche's information is spot on...

There's a lot of controversy about almost every limited production Porsche... Like how extremely rare 89 Speedsters are and they made 2100 of them... Now if you have one of the 121 narrow-bodied 89 Speedsters - Then that's extremely rare or one of the 6 wide-bodied 94 Speedsters then you can name your price...
Is there an AR registry? I have little faith in PCNA records I can point out as much disinformation as accurate info from that era provided by them. I will contact the owner of the car, his info claims otherwise but I don't doubt you I am sure you have done your research and see your passion for this model. Besides the P code proves it. This is just one car out of a dozen or so this guy owns....so? I know Adrian Streather also states he could not confirm about the 92-93 issue in his book. Although his book is quite complete there is missing and incorrect info although not much.

I still think it is a nice car for what it is. Not every Porsche has to be a supper car and sometimes a cruise in the country with the top down is nice if you live in the right part of the country. It has been proven that over time cars that did not sell well originally end up being worth more than most would expect. Although you can be guaranteed the 993TTS is a sure thing.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

subscribed.

i just wanna see the final purchase price, as well as the individual who pays it.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:53 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think, in the end, one should just get what he's always wanted irrespective of future gains/loss. I agree the 993tt is a great car, but if you have always wanted the earlier look, get what you've always wanted.....or transplant the drivetrain of the 993 into the 964......
Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Noah

Don't get discouraged here bull, hey, look, it's a great car, I've seen it in person -- it's beautiful. But a 993 Turbo is way better. That's all anyone's trying to say.
Yeah, it's beautiful... I just don't think I can bring myself to sell it... Plus Gina said she'd kick my *** if I sell it... So the Roadster stays... Besides, it still puts a big grin on my face everytime I drive it... Isn't that what it's all about...

Thanks for the kind words...

Quick Reply: Considering Selling My 93 America Roadster