Sponsored by:

Scan tool - use questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Scan tool - use questions

I have the scan tools soft ware and cable to link - Am trying this for the first time - Got the cable from Kevin Arndt -
I am running the software on a MacBook Pro using Parrallel Desktop running Windows XP - I can't get the scan tool program to link with the car- all I get is a red connecting notice. Are there any conditions that have to be met to get the connection to activate?
Has anyone tried to use the Mac as I have configured to run scan tools. I am not sure if the issue is within Windows XP and the Parrallel Desktop in finding the USB port that the cable is pugged into/ if it is with the software / or with the cable. Or if I am missing something as I have no -10 ( instructions) for this.
Thks
Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to use a real PC
If you are using a notebook be sure to plug in the powercord. Neither of mine will work on battery and is a common issue.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Gus,

I got your email describing your problem.

The ignition key needs to be in and turned to "accessory" (where all the dash lights come on) or running.

XP isn't the issue as I run scantool on an XP computer.

I'm not I Mac user, but I suspect it could be your USB serial adapter, a proven adapter uses the FTDI chip. What is the manufacturer of your adapter?

Let me look for a program you can run to test your serial port while in virtual windows....

later, Kevin
Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Kevin - Thanks for feedback - I got a DYNEX - USB to Serial Adapter- from Best Buys -
package doesn't say much - Connects device with serial port to USB hub/ Connect RS232 to USB port/ Supports data transfer rate of 115Kbps/ No info on FTDI chip -
I agree with you - think issue is in the link between Parrallel Desktop & Windows and the Mac OS.
I have it set up to do an auto connect - but I am not sure that is happening -
Appreciate the help
Gus
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

I believe that adapter uses the chip from Prolific Technology Inc. which is problematic at best even with windows. It doesn't strictly follow the RS232 standard. I have one and it sucks. Check in your Mac system profiler for info. on the driver for this adapter.

Still working on it...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Gus-
I can't emphasize enough what Jim said, above.
The key has to be turned enough to light up the dashboard like a christmas tree before Scantool can connect.

(I spent the better part of 2 days 'troubleshooting' Scantool for that failure on my part.) And, oddly, Scantool works least troublesome on the older pc you can dredge up...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Kevin - Thanks for feedback - I got a DYNEX - USB to Serial Adapter- from Best Buys -
package doesn't say much - Connects device with serial port to USB hub/ Connect RS232 to USB port/ Supports data transfer rate of 115Kbps/ No info on FTDI chip -
I agree with you - think issue is in the link between Parrallel Desktop & Windows and the Mac OS.
I have it set up to do an auto connect - but I am not sure that is happening -
Appreciate the help
Gus
Gus, I agree that you should be very suspicious of the Parallels emulation. The parallels software sits between XP and your mac OS and converts every single command from XP into something the mac can understand, and vice versa. That's really hard to do correctly with serial communications, particularly with a USB to serial converter. If you can borrow an older computer running windows natively with a serial connection you can quickly eliminate a couple of potential problems.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Hi Gus,
I have an FTDI adapter going your way from http://www.parallax.com

There's a driver that's native to the Mac OS here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Once it arrives, install to the Mac as usual. Don't install device under Parallels/Windows. Present the serial port to windows as a plain serial port (COM1) using the com port preferences configuration window.

It should arrive next week via USPS.

Let us know how it works, in the mean time I'll try to contact Ricardo ( another Rennlister that makes the scantool) if he knows anything about this problem. He's presently driving his 964 out to the westcoast, so hopefully he's not sitting somewhere on the roadside with a faulty DME relay....

Later, Kevin
Old 06-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Kevin - thanks a lot - I have tried another route and used BootCamp to install Windows directly on a partitioned area on my HD so it runs alone. But, When I started windows down loaded the Scantool4 program / installed / and started it could not find the com1 port. While on Parallel i could adjust the settings so Scantools could find the port com1 - it just would not make the connection with the car- think this was the adapter as you thought-
I am hoping that the MAC down load will allow the Scantool program to find the com1 port -
Will keep you posted - on the on going adventure -
What do I owe you for the adapter coming my way ??
Again thanks for your help -
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Hi Gus,
I have an FTDI adapter going your way from http://www.parallax.com

There's a driver that's native to the Mac OS here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Once it arrives, install to the Mac as usual. Don't install device under Parallels/Windows. Present the serial port to windows as a plain serial port (COM1) using the com port preferences configuration window.

It should arrive next week via USPS.

Let us know how it works, in the mean time I'll try to contact Ricardo ( another Rennlister that makes the scantool) if he knows anything about this problem. He's presently driving his 964 out to the westcoast, so hopefully he's not sitting somewhere on the roadside with a faulty DME relay....

Later, Kevin
Kevin, that strikes me as a really good idea. Good thinking.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had success using a Mac and Parallels. The issue is that within Parallels you need to "bless" the use of the COM port. I used COM2, but just made sure all the settings align correctly.

Parallels is a very good tool, and it is running a valid guest XP partition on an Intel chipset. It is exactly the same as any PC out there, except that you get a cool Mac wrapper around it.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:07 PM
jjbunn
Racer

COM1 is not necessarily the correct port. It depends on the driver and what else is in the system. You might like to try COM4 ... If I recall correctly you need a Scantool.ini file in your Windows directory where that setting is specified.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 PM
aussiehussey
Track Day

will this scantool device work on my 1990 911 Targa 2 with trip ?
where do I plug it in - under the drivers side seat into the DME ?
AutoEiginuity OBDII Scan Tool - PC-based USB Version
Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

The 964 is based on OBDI , and the diagnostic receptacle is outboard side of the passengers footwell.

I have a few more scantools for sale...
Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Looking good Mojorizing. I arrived in California safely, 3000 miles with no issues, but only after I purchased extra belts, DME etc to keep the voodoo roadtrip gods on my side.

I have a Mac laptop now and my solution will be to buy one of those new class of mini-laptops that run XP! I've got scantools for my Porsche and my Audis and its time to get a little XP machine just so I can talk to my cars!

Quick Reply: Scan tool - use questions