Sponsored by:

Steering weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:50 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering weight

I'm wondering if there are anyways to add to the "weight" of the feel of the 964's PS system. I want something similar to my '04 STi, which requires a more solid effort to turn the wheel (not hard at all, just firm) versus the overboosted feeling I've gotten out of my 964, and 3 other 964s that I've driven. I'm not so sure I want to go to a manual rack (though thats not completely out of the question) , but I have run an idea though my head for a while now.

My idea is completely out of left field, and likely not viable, but I feel like increasing the size of the PS pump's pulley, and subsequently flowing less fluid through the rack, would increase the effort in steering. The obvious problem here though is that I can't even imagine the cost associated with having a new pulley machined - material cost would have to be through the roof! Would doing something like this even be theoretically possible? I'll probably end up just buying a belt that bypasses the PS pump and try running the power rack on its own for a bit. I have read that if the two connectors/fittings on the rack itself are connected with a length of pipe, and fluid is left in the rack, that the steering will be manageable.

Anyway, I'm done rambling now. Any alternate input is welcome!

Cliff notes: Is there any way to increase the steering effort, without completely ditching the power assist?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:28 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really surprised that you think the 964 steering is overboosted. I've always thought the PS assistance is quite minimal - it's certainly far less than other cars I've driven. And when I was talking about a power steering problem on the 964 once, an ex told me I was mistaken because it obviously didn't have power steering.

Since you say you've felt that with 4 cars in total, I guess it's quite subjective - or there's something wrong with mine and it's already the way you'd want it!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DaveK
Since you say you've felt that with 4 cars in total, I guess it's quite subjective - or there's something wrong with mine and it's already the way you'd want it!
Wanna trade PS setups? Ha but seriously I never felt this way until I bought my STi...The steering effort is right on in that car. Maybe there is a problem with my car...last time I drove another 964 was when I was buying mine, so maybe my memory is playing tricks I'm not even close to that old yet! Anyone in NOVA with a 964 you'd be willing to let me drive one evening? I'm in the Tysons Corner area.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:53 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

can you restrict a line?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

I've often wondered why the US owners of 964s were so keen to throw away their powered racks and replace them with non-powered ones. Could it be that Porsche has specified a different PS pump or valving for the US market, assuming that you'all want to steer with one finger? The steering on my 964 and my 951 before that gave me no cause to lust after a manual rack, especially as I had previously had a manual rack on my first P-car - a NA 944. So - are there some different part no's for the US cars vs the ROW ones? Or - who has driven both a US and ROW power-steered 964 and give us a comparative opinion?

Rob
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default More steering effort? Change the castor on the front

Probably the simplest, cheapest and likewise a generally accepted way to increase your steering effort is to change/increase the castor in your front suspension settings. Check out the following article. http://www.advancedracing.com/chassissetup.php
Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by demonfish
can you restrict a line?
I don't know, is this possible? Seems like an easy way to get where I want...I wonder if this would overload the PS system since the pump would still be trying to pump the same amount of fluid through a smaller line??

Originally Posted by Blu RS
Probably the simplest, cheapest and likewise a generally accepted way to increase your steering effort is to change/increase the castor in your front suspension settings. Check out the following article. http://www.advancedracing.com/chassissetup.php
Good tip. I think I'll call one of the shops around here and talk it over with them.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smaller steering wheel is the v. obvious quick fix. I agree with others who feel that the 964 ps assistance feels very slight compared to other more conventional cars.....
Old 06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

actually now you say that, my omp wheel was one of THE best mods i ever made, totally transformed the car.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Want heavier steering? - buy a C4 with wide front wheels/tires or convert to a RSA manual rack (if possible)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911URGE
Want heavier steering? - buy a C4 with wide front wheels/tires or convert to a RSA manual rack (if possible)
Yeah the manual rack might be my best option...I can't believe no one else feels the way I do about the steering! I've got 18" 235's up front, and I'm still not happy! Maybe a manual rack is in my future. Anyone with any input about any of the tricks above about reducing the power assist?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:07 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

ok, rather than a restriction, how about a cross feed valve, so you can bleed some pressure back into the return...
Old 06-05-2008, 10:23 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

I like that idea - I think I'll look into it...The ability to adjust the amount of PS assist would be quite useful.

Quick Reply: Steering weight