Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 964 C4 as a DD....

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:59 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 964 C4 as a DD....

I've got the itch to own a C4 as a DD, and have always loved the 964 body style as (IMHO) it was the last of the old-line 911s... Conversely, I have also been looking at 996s - but am not sure that their reliability would be any better than the 964.... I live in the mountains of Utah, and will see tremendous amounts of snow 6 months of the year (400+ inches this past winter) hence the interest in the C4. My commute is 100 miles RT down to Salt Lake City, and I have spent 3 winters driving a rear-wheel drive BMW 3-series convertible with no problems (the right tires are the key). Making that daily trip in a C4 would be the dream!

So which model year should I explore? And what are the benefits to the 964 over the 996 as that would be my second choice?

Thanks!
-Blake
Old 05-31-2008, 03:02 PM
racergreg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1990 C2 has been a daily driver for 5 years, 40 miles round trip. I've probably put ~50,000 miles on it in So Cal traffic.

Never once let me down.

Of course there has been regular maintenance, and various minor mechanical repairs. Had to replace the clutch at 90,000. But in all that time I never once had to call a tow truck.

My suggestion: find a good car and get a thorough PPI. Keep up your regular maintenance. The 964 is a very solid car and will give you years of enjoyment!

(You may want to do further research into whether to get a C2 or C4. I have not owned a C4, but I understand that the 4 wheel drive system is very complicated and expensive to repair.)
Old 05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 477 Posts

Get a 94 if you can! I've had various years of C4's and love the 94's looks the most and they're better from a depreciation standpoint, too.
Don't worry about the C4's drivetrain - it's just as reliable as a C2's but it's a fantastic car when traction is compromised under throttle. The only time a C4 is beneficial versus a C2 when you're not under throttle is its slightly better weight distribution, and its assistance if it thinks you're about to spin (oversteer) as it will lock both differentials to cause an understeer situation which helps you recover. The drivetrain is no more complicated from an end-user's standpoint, and doesn't require looming repairs, like a cabriolet 964 usually does (owned those, too!!). If you hit the Grimey's car wash as you come home each time, you should have minimal corrosion worries. If you feel bad about corroding a car, getting a 996 might be a better option! Not as pretty, though.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

+2 on the 964 C4 as a daily driver. They are very reliable cars.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I've driven a 93 C4 as my daily driver for the last four years after getting rid of a Chevy Tahoe since the kids went to college and I didn't need a big hauler. A wonderful car. Note that we get some "interesting" weather here in Minnesota. The car has been great year round, although I do switch out summer wheels with Michelin cups for winter wheels with snow tires (currently using Pirelli snows but will switch to Michelin Alpins, Dunlops or Blizzacks this coming fall as the Pirelli's are great dry winter road tires but not as good as the others brands, all of which I've had on other family cars)

I am thinking about changing cars however, as the result of going to lunch with my accountant last week. He's got a new 997 C4S. What a great car. He warned me that driving his car would ruin mine (he also previously had a C4 964). Getting back into the 964 was like getting into an old Chevy Impala in comparison but that feeling went away the next day.

I've got 98K miles on mine and, knock on wood, have had no problems with the AWD system. As a friend (whose summer driver is a 70 911T) pointed out, you can spend a lot of money fixing the AWD system on your 964 and still be money ahead of a newer car.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:42 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had mine for 3 years now and drive it about 9-10 months out of a year and never had any AWD problem(car has 86,000 miles ).Go C-4 !
Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been driving my 91 C4 as a DD in New York for the past 3 years. I drive in snow each winter and with proper tires it goes as well as anything I've driven. It is a bit low, so that's a consideration for your area.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:40 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto what DFinnegan said. I live in Canada and everyone knows how much snow we get up here all the time (and we live in igloos too! ). My C4 has been rock solid reliable with the proper maintenance (fluids, filters , brake pads, cleaning, etc...) and is truly a joy to drive in the snow. It's fun to watch the expressions on the faces of SUV drivers as you launch ahead of them from the traffic lights.

And like you said, the right tires also make the difference (I'm using Nokian Hakkepilitas and they seem phenomenal).

I can't make any comment on the snow traction of a C2 but I do remember seeing a video here a couple of years back where a C2 and C4 tried the same manoevers in a snow covered parking lot. The C2 didn't fare too well but....
Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I certainly enjoy driving mine most days throughout the year. I do, however, keep it in the garage when there is salt on the road.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 AM
MorganB1
Advanced

I think a C4 would be brilliant for you during your Park City – SLC commute. I’ve driven that route more than a few times and always found myself wishing I had my trusty C4 instead of driving some generic rental. As you state, the right winter tires are a must and all the usual caveats on getting a thorough PPI and finding a well-cared for example. Mine was a joy to own and drive the three years I had it. Not much in the way of snow driving for me, but man was it on rails in the fall when all the rain-sodden leaves covered all the NW roads. And pretty nice on a wet track as well.

You may want to keep it at something closer to original (4x4) ride-height if you are really going to be in a lot of snow…?

-Morgan
Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use my C4 for DD... 180K on the clock and still ticking. The only sticky point is fuel consumption 13-24 mpg depending on the type of driving, but that's natural for most 964s I bet...
Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I drove mine for two winters as a salesman. I've put 18,000 miles on the car in 1 year, driving all over the mountains of Northern Idaho and Spokane. I used Pirelli P Zero Nero's, M&S rated tires for winter use. They were pretty good in the snow. Serviceable but no where near a Blizzak in grip.

I've got 129K on the clock and I've no worries about hopping in for a cross state ride. In fact, I'm heading to Seattle Monday morning and I have no reservations.

I really don't think the year matters. Frankly, if your plan is to drive the car daily, buy a solid car, year is unimportant as long as the car is well-sorted. The milage your going to put on the car with that kind of commute makes looking for a low milage car kinda of at odds with the intent. If the car does have very good paint, get a clear bra installed. Also, spend the dough on a set of H4 headlights. The difference is amazing and for nightly commutes, it'll be worth it.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:00 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

The only sticky point is fuel consumption 13-24 mpg depending on the type of driving, but that's natural for most 964s I bet...
Really? I get about 18 in the city and nearly 28 on the highway. Not a huge difference but one that I'd be trying to figure out why?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Default 89 C4

I would very highly recommend the C4. I've got an 89 C4 that I've been driving for about 2 years. I have not had any problems with the all wheel drive system, except for ignition leaks which set off the PDAS sensors. That was corrected by rhe replacement of coils and plug wires. It is a phenominal car, especially in adverse conditions. You will love a C4 in the snow.

I am thinking about trading with a dealer for a different car in the next few days. If you're interested and could act quickly, you could get a well sorted car that should be relatively trouble free at a great price.

It's Grand Prix White with Casmere leather, sunroof, 5 speed, stock coupe. Odometer quit at 109K and I've put about 8,000 m on it.

I have been COMPLETELY through this car myself. Engine rebuild, steering rack, CV joints, a wheel bearing, pads, speed sensors cleaned, alt, coils/ wires/ dist caps/ rotors, air ducts, $4,000 all-Alpine sound system including a 10" JL sub in an upholstered-to-match custom box built into the rear seat well to replace the seat back. It is removable and the seat back can be reinstalled. It has near perfect chrome D90's which look great on this white car, and 70% Michelin Pilot Sports.

The paint is bright and shines like a mirror, but it does have some dings and a shallow scratch at the bottom of the passenger door. Could be made to look near perfect by simply respraying the removable parts - lower body trim and bumper covers, which was going to be my next DIY. Dash has no cracks and interior looks good except for front seats, which have some cracks but no tears. After bumper respray, the next DIY project was going to be leather restoration. Then, I thought, the car would be at a total enjoyment level of restoration.

Everything works on this car except for the odometer. I bought a gear to fix it but once in, I found it was the wrong one. No lingering warning lights, everything operational. My advice if you decide to go for a 964 is to get one completely sorted or a low miles garage queen, which will cost you a fortune. Just don't do what I did and get one where you spend two years making it right!

Good luck with your decision. PM me if you're interested.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 420 Posts

I use my C4 as a DD. I agree with Garrett, if you are going to get one, get the 94 if you can. The widebody is simply beautiful and I suspect will be easier from a depreciation standpoint, although entry fee is typically higher than a NB C4. Good luck with your purchase.

I am regularly tempted by more modern machines but after a good drive in the C4, it goes away. Just came back from a weekend in Leavenworth and the drive was spectacular. Even my girlfriend enjoyed the C4's handling and she is not a car person at all.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 964 C4 as a DD....