Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 964 C4 as a DD....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:28 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delayed feedback - just came back from a trip.

I am glad to see all of the positive feedback for these fine cars! I hope to begin the search later this summer.

-Blake
Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove mine as a daily driver in CT for two years. Was great, especially in winter with the Snow Tires On!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a C2 Targa as daily driver. Was about to spend £16K on a Golf - but for same money got a great drive, minmal depreciation, a bit of head turning and, as it's a Targa, wind in my hair. Plus that 964 interior smell!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

I love this info as I too am thinking of getting one. Can we expand the conversation to include the pros and cons of a cab vs coup for DD use?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brentflyfish
I love this info as I too am thinking of getting one. Can we expand the conversation to include the pros and cons of a cab vs coup for DD use?
Was about to make joke about Cabs and hairdressers and then remembered I've got a Targa!!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought an '89 C4 today for use as a daily driver. I wasn't even in the market for a car, but happened on this beauty just 10 miles from my house, went and looked at it and test drove it this morning, and bought it on the spot. It is going into the shop on Friday (on the owner's dime) to have the A/C repaired and an overall inspection. The current owner has agreed to fix any problems before I pick up the car this weekend. The car was in cherry condition and handled perfectly on the test drive, it has obviously been very well cared for, so I'd be surprised if there are major issues, but the inspection will tell.

I've been wringing my hands over whether to get a 997 Turbo or a Z06 (my current dd is a C5), but now I think I can just enjoy the 964 for a while and see what the 2010 model year brings for both the 997 TT and the Z06. If I can be that patient, of course. I'm going to try - driving the 964 this morning was an absolute blast - brought back a lot of fun memories of previous Porsches I've owned or driven.

I'm unbelievably excited to be in the Porsche fraternity again!

Andy
Old 06-12-2008, 03:17 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Well I guess I'm in the minority here.

I own a '90 964 C4 and I would not want to use it as a daily driver.

Currently my daily drivers are either an '07 Audi A3 3.2 or '06 Infiniti FX45.

I must be showing my age as I cannot handle the firm ride of my 964 on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love driving my 964 and it is instant stress relief for me to blast around the local ocean side road around my home.

However as my commute involves a lot of stop and go traffic and some not so smooth roads I prefer my two daily drivers over my Porsche.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

I hear ya Canuck! I'm very fortunate in that I live only eight miles from the office, and my route is through the wine country (Sonoma County), so I have my pick of fun roads to take to work. I would also not use this car as a dd if my commute was into San Francisco every day, because that is nothing but stop and go highway traffic.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canuck964
Well I guess I'm in the minority here.

I own a '90 964 C4 and I would not want to use it as a daily driver.

Currently my daily drivers are either an '07 Audi A3 3.2 or '06 Infiniti FX45.

I must be showing my age as I cannot handle the firm ride of my 964 on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love driving my 964 and it is instant stress relief for me to blast around the local ocean side road around my home.

However as my commute involves a lot of stop and go traffic and some not so smooth roads I prefer my two daily drivers over my Porsche.
I appreciate the counterpoint. Personally, the rough ride would be the ENJOYABLE part of the DD experience. My initial question was more about reliability and car longevity. Believe me - I would drive my GT3 daily if my commute wasn't 90 miles R/T each day.

Thanks for the posts guys! Enjoy your new ride Andy - and congrats!

-Blake
Old 06-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks Blake! Nice stable you got there!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:53 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Thansk Andy. It is my goal to keep adding to the *Porsche stable* over the years. I can think of atleast 10 more P-Cars that I wish to own someday.... These cars put such a wide grin on my face that all the costs are completely worth it!

964s are just so damn much fun to drive - and good looking. Nice choice!

-Blake
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Picking it up tomorrow evening (after A/C repair and inspection) and I'll post some pics. I'm really looking forward to this weekend!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:41 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I live at 9000 feet in the central Rockies of Colorado and use my 93 C4 as my DD. I love the car and it’s really fun to drive in the snow. I use 17s in the summer and switch to 16" wheels in the winter so i can run a narrower and full blown snow tire. You can't go wrong with this car.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thumbs up

Picked up this beauty last night - a 1989 Carrera C4 in fantastic condition, inside and out. This is just so crazy, and was just meant to be. I was not even thinking about or looking for a car, and for some reason just decided to play around on the internet on Tuesday night and decided, what the heck, I'll check on prices of some older Porsches, just for some fun. This car came up and was only 10 miles from my zip code, and something about the car just grabbed my attention, so I decided to at least go take a look at the car on Wednesday morning. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it, and struck a deal on the spot. I can't believe how well this 20 year old car still feels and handles - it was certainly ahead of its time when it first appeared, and the label of the '89 C4 being the first of the "modern" Porsches certainly fits.

I'm now going to sell my daily driver, a 1999 Corvette coupe, and the C4 will be my daily driver - the best I've ever had, by far. I plan on spending many years and many, many miles with this beauty!

I put on about 150 miles today just marvelling at the composure and build quality of this car, and had some terrific fun on Highway 1 north of San Francisco. The attached photos were taken just off Highway 1 on the road between Tomales and Dillon Beach. I'll be out again tomorrow for more fun!

Thanks for indulging me!

Andy

Last edited by Porscheholic; 07-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

A few more photos- the license plate came with the car, I think I'll just keep it...

Last edited by Porscheholic; 07-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 964 C4 as a DD....