Sponsored by:

Bent RSA ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This could be anyone of us...I'm thankful the driver is OK !
Old 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Judging from the artsy-fartsy photo, it is repairable. Hitting the front of a 911 is a lot less expensive than hitting the rear. New bumper, new driver side fender, new oil cooler and he's good to go. Hope everything works out for the owner
+1 Hard to tell from the pics, but this 911 will see the track again.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw the tail and wondered if an RSA bit the dust...

I agree, enough money can fix just about any car. Might be cheaper to part it out if its a standard C2.

Still sad to see any 964 die though.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete000
Still sad to see any 964 die though.
To paraphrase Monty Python, "That car's not dead"

Seriously, that's not a big shunt at all from what we can see in the picture.

"Tis merely a flesh wound"
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
This could be anyone of us...I'm thankful the driver is OK !
No doubt. And even more so, as with all the racing he's done over the years, I'd like to someone to name ANYONE with more track miles on a 964 out west than him.

Everyone remember the first time they went into oil? Damn shock! Mine was an open track day maybe 3-4 events into my racing "career" when a modified 928 let loose in front of me at Firebird. No harm, but pissed me off to no end when I saw how cobbled together that car was and they let it out on the track.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Ouch, please see my after crash photos from 2006.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

from the livery, i think that's jack....
one of my instructors in 2002. hope he's all right.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:05 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blu RS
From discussions years back with a knowledgeable Porsche AG race car service manager in Germany, you want to flow cool air from the 964 front bumper intake back into the wheel well in order to create positive air pressure in the wheel well itself. You can put a duct back into the well well (TechArt used to make a kit, by the way) from the front bumper (which some people call a brake duct) but all you really need to do is punch a sizeable hole (or holes, as this case appears to be) into the liner to permit air to come into the wheel well. By creating a more positive pressure area in the wheel well fed by cool frontal air, the wheel well will better evacuate the hot air from around the brake. Or so the story went. Jurgen Barth told me this personally, in case someone happens to recognize the name. I suspect he knew what he was talking about.
Be interested to know if this helps create better airflow away from the oil cooler(s) or if the vent out the bottom of the bumper is adequate. Thoughts??????

I just happen to have my liners out at this very moment.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "better airflow without liners" . . . . maybe, but!

Given that the standard right side/passenger side oil radiator vents out the bottom, that would suggest that bottom venting is adequate for an additional oil radiator mounted on the left/drivers side in the space normally reserved for the AC radiator on cars so equipped. Of course you also need to remember just what purposes the liners serve in being installed in the wheel wells in the first place. For sure they prevent rocks and crud from being thrown up into the fender (where they can create "star" dents like on old Carrera chassis cars) and forward into the fender well where they can damage lights, cables, radiator, fan, etc. On a track car or race car, the liners may not be needed or necessary. So you might get better airflow without the liners but you still run the risk of having the tires throw debris into the fenderwells. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that Porsche still ran the liners on the 964 Cup cars of that era. BTW, an interesting sidebar to the auxiliary or extra oil radiator issue on the 3.6 engine is that I was also told by Jurgen Barth of Porsche AG/Weissach that they had determined the car did not need an extra oil cooler until the engine put out over 300 horsepower.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Given that the standard right side/passenger side oil radiator vents out the bottom, that would suggest that bottom venting is adequate for an additional oil radiator mounted on the left/drivers side in the space normally reserved for the AC radiator on cars so equipped.
Based on my experience, I agree. Additional venting is unnecessary.

Last edited by dave morris; 04-08-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that Porsche still ran the liners on the 964 Cup cars of that era.
Correct, 964 Cups have the fender liners.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

BTW, an interesting sidebar to the auxiliary or extra oil radiator issue on the 3.6 engine is that I was also told by Jurgen Barth of Porsche AG/Weissach that they had determined the car did not need an extra oil cooler until the engine put out over 300 horsepower.
My experience suggest otherwise. I have identical coolers .... left and right. It is true that when I run with ambient temperatures in the 70s, I tape up the front venting area to reduce airflow. At or close to 80, two coolers are needed IMHO.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"At or close to 80, two coolers are needed IMHO".

Understandable. Practically speaking, who knows what air/track temperatures the Porsche engineers were using for reference when they made that 300 hp power/auxiliary cooling determination? And perhaps more to the point, I've yet to hear someone seriously argue that Porsche engineers are infallible.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 964 Cups on the track require an additional oil cooler to keep the oil temps below 250F. Even the 993 RSRs have fender liners as do 996 Cups.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,304 Posts

I don't know. From what I see it looks like it will need an entire new front nose clip. Remove from the gas tank forward and replace. The front right looks like it is pushed down the front left looks like it is pushed up and everything looks pushed to the right. They might be able to pull it but I would rather have it cut and replaced per the factory guidelines than trying to straighten damage like that. If there was a camber truss the damage might extend beyond the obvious might even be more than we think.

Quite the shame.

Quick Reply: Bent RSA ?