Sponsored by:

Vitesse MAF kit. Any updates?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Fast4525
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vitesse MAF kit. Any updates?

A few months have passed since the introduction of the Vitesse MAF conversion kit for the 964 3.6L. How many are now in circulation? Any new dyno charts? User feedback? John?

http://www.vitesseracing.com/html/91..._air_flow.html
Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 PM
deoxford
Pro

I love mine still,
Got it on the track a few times now and I have been very pleased with the upgrade
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't give you a good indication based on my data.

I tested mine on an engine that is down 25hp over Derek's car (but up 25hp over stock). My leak down numbers post dyno suggest a new top-end is in order.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Fast4525
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ritter
I can't give you a good indication based on my data.

I tested mine on an engine that is down 25hp over Derek's car (but up 25hp over stock). My leak down numbers post dyno suggest a new top-end is in order.
Not sure what you are saying. Do you have the Vitesse kit? Did it pick up 25hp on your car?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Yes. Derek and I have similar set ups (exhaust etc.) but he yielded +25hp more than I got- his on a recent top end rebuilt motor.

I thought my engine was pretty strong but as it turns out it isn't, so the combination of Vitesse MAF and bypasses has me about +25 over stock but still -25 less than Derek. I have to remedy that ( the weak motor that is).
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Today i was invited by Beek Racing in Holland, they knew about mine MAF and helped me with the last bit off tuning the MAF. So i with there help we achieved 293 HP.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:53 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Sire
Today i was invited by Beek Racing in Holland, they knew about mine MAF and helped me with the last bit off tuning the MAF. So i with there help we achieved 293 HP.
Which is probably as good as it gets because you will be at the limit of flow of the standard fuel injectors. Still a decent result though for a relatively easy conversion.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:32 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

So do you think there is more HP on the table by going to larger injectors?

I asked John @ Vitesse about this very issue. I have a Vitesse MAF, but haven't installed it as the chip needs a re-flash. I asked because I would have bought larger injectors to optimize the MAF since it needed a re-flash anyway...
He said - "not for a stock motor..."
Old 10-30-2008, 03:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Which is probably as good as it gets because you will be at the limit of flow of the standard fuel injectors. Still a decent result though for a relatively easy conversion.
Colin, speaking of easy conversions what's your experience of the increases obtained with your simple RR re-map service? I know it will be dependent on the state of the engine but do you think an ECU that's not been touched for 18 years will benefit from a tune up? Mine's standard apart from a cup pipe BTW.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MitchB
So do you think there is more HP on the table by going to larger injectors?

I asked John @ Vitesse about this very issue. I have a Vitesse MAF, but haven't installed it as the chip needs a re-flash. I asked because I would have bought larger injectors to optimize the MAF since it needed a re-flash anyway...
He said - "not for a stock motor..."
In our experience with the Motec conversions, a perfect engine would always benefit from larger injectors. However without understanding the limitations of the stock Motronic system (with or without MAF) I could not be sure that you would get the same result from an injector change, but my guess is that it would benefit to a lesser degree. It's up to John to decide if this is a path worth investigating in spite of the limited commercial value of the end result.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Colin, speaking of easy conversions what's your experience of the increases obtained with your simple RR re-map service? I know it will be dependent on the state of the engine but do you think an ECU that's not been touched for 18 years will benefit from a tune up? Mine's standard apart from a cup pipe BTW.
We get 290hp from a typical stock 964 and 300hp from a 964RS or Cup car.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We get 290hp from a typical stock 964 and 300hp from a 964RS or Cup car.
Sounds great. That'll go on my list after the suspension upgrade
Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

In our experience with the Motec conversions, a perfect engine would always benefit from larger injectors. However without understanding the limitations of the stock Motronic system (with or without MAF) I could not be sure that you would get the same result from an injector change, but my guess is that it would benefit to a lesser degree. It's up to John to decide if this is a path worth investigating in spite of the limited commercial value of the end result.
Colin, can you amplify this statement about larger injectors irrespective of the Motec/Motronic argument? Are you saying that the duty cycle of the stock injectors on a stock 3.6 motor can be max'd through tuning?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ritter
Colin, can you amplify this statement about larger injectors irrespective of the Motec/Motronic argument? Are you saying that the duty cycle of the stock injectors on a stock 3.6 motor can be max'd through tuning?
In my experience with Motec on many 964 & 964RS engines, the standard injectors running at standard fuel pressure will not supply sufficient fuel to achieve the maximum potential power on the dyno. As far as I know, the 964 Motronic reverts to batch fire mode (continuous) as a compensation for this deficiency. To quantify this, on the very first Motec conversion we thought we were doing well to get 305-310hp from the RS we were working on until I realised we were running close to 100% duty cycle. After fitting a set of 400c injectors we achieved 324hp on the same dyno under the same conditions. End of story as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Vitesse MAF kit. Any updates?