Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS or sport transmission mount??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS or sport transmission mount??

Hey guys, I've been debating (and also a lot of searching) on transmission mounts. The RS is by far the most talked about and seem to be a love or hate mod. Pelican , patrick motorsports and others sell the white "hard" plastic version for less than RS but it says I need two. Last but not least is Patrick motorsports own semi-solid trans mount ala wevo.

Now for those who have or had one of them, which is best? And why do I need one for some models and two for others. The car is slowly turning into a dedicated track car so I know what I'm getting into.

Thanks for the comments and thanks to Patrick motorsports and Carnewal for the pictures as reference.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

The RS-mount isn't that different from the stock part. so if you want to spend money on this (and work) go for the really stiff mount. Otherwise leave it until the mount you have breaks.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just had my trans rebuilt and went w/ the solid mount....and ripped out all of my engine insulation and w/ the primary and cat bypass and no insulation it is LOUD inside.....and I love it of course. Might need ear plugs for the 5 hr drive to VIR though. I haven't driven it much yet and it hasn't seen the track so can't comment on feel yet.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you install the solid mount, the transmission will transmit all of the gearbox noise through the cabin. It sounds like a coffee can with lug nuts in it. I would not advise it for a street driven car.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment fully on the difference the RS mount makes to transmission feel as I changed the transmission at the same time but I think there is a slighly more direct feel.
As for noise there certainly is a lot more NVH from the transmission even with the soundproofing in place. I've since removed the soundproofing and the tranny noise is the overriding source of overall NVH in the car.

Wouldn't bother on a road car and but would do it for a trackcar but only if the tranny was out for another reason..
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
If you install the solid mount, the transmission will transmit all of the gearbox noise through the cabin. It sounds like a coffee can with lug nuts in it. I would not advise it for a street driven car.
That's it! LOL, Chris said it should sound like I just dropped a can of coins in the gearbox. Not much street left in my car though.....just the license plates.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

When you guys say solid, do you mean the RS type or the other model from patrick motorsports?? Now my question is why would I need two of the white ones?? Would they be for the trans carrier??

Thanks again for your help and my car will be pretty much be like forklift's car or tonytaylor. All RS and no sound proofing.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:07 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Anyone else??
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking at this mod for my 993 and by looking at it I could easily make this bushing myself on a lathe if I could find some Delrin. Anybody know where to buy Delrin bulk cheap or even some poly material?

I would just keep the aluminum center from the original bushing ( where the bolt sits) and tranfer that over to the delrin.

Any thought.... The price they are asking just seems to much $$
Old 02-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

There is also the RSR/Carrera Cup mount which is harder rubber than the RS mount.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

How about the white ones, anybody tried them??

As for the RSR mount, who sells it and for how much?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

I upgraded to the solid mounts. As mentioned above, it's noisy. The noise might be slighty muted if you still have a stock interior, but I can't say for sure as I've never personally experienced it. IMO, for a track/DE oriented car, you can't go wrong with solid. If it's going to be mostly street, I might have to think about it.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default WEVO Semi Solid Motor Mounts

Smart racing sells the WEVO semi solid Motor Mount. I have them on my race car. They are very nice parts.
http://www.smartracingproducts.com/p...atalog2008.pdf
They are on page 26 of the catalog.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the white ones in my race car and as mentioned earlier, they are not appropriate for a street car. In fact, the gear noise is the main source of the noise inside the car and requires earplugs or my ears ring. I'm sure a street car with insulation will be muted, but it is still very, very noisy.

What problem are you trying to solve?
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27

As for the RSR mount, who sells it and for how much?
Porsche Motorsport used to have them, part number 964.375.055.70. They look just like the RS part shown above and again below, but are of harder rubber.

My 993 G50/32 gearbox came with the mount shown below. It is of rubber about as hard as the RSR mount but also eliminates two of the holes in the 964 mount. I don't know the part number for this mount.

Quick Reply: RS or sport transmission mount??