Sponsored by:

Greetings from a newbee......

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

EEK!! That sounds bad!

However, had a tour of the PARR facility this at 9am. Thanks to Steve for showing me around (that Koenig 962 looks rather nice).

A technician took a look at the carrier and though we'd be talking 8 hours or so.

This is the damage:

Has anyone done this swap and is it tricky?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 AM
LuckyP
Racer

So finally got round to replacing the broken engine carrier. I've had no experience of pork til now, and am pleased to say that it was a doddle, only having to drop the rear of the engine a couple of inches to squeeze the carrier down over the studs in the block. Total time 6 hours, out and in. Cost £150 inc.

Here is a pic of the old carrier. The new genuine carrier has two welded plates where I have laid a card template. Think they've had a bit of experience with this in the past, no!!??

And you can see here how it was an accident waiting to happen - look at the corrosion on the first third of the split. Lucky it happened on the track rather then to my girlfriend late at night on the motorway!!

Took it out for a test run this morning.....wow, she is amazing!! The Bilstein Sport and H&R Greens are great. This is what they do to the height:

Here's to the 964 - a motoring legend!!!

Lucky
Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LuckyP, what a result!
Did you say it cost £150 for 5 hours labour? That is a very low labour rate, how so? Who did it?
Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Who did it?"
"I've had no experience of pork til now,"
Looks like he stiffed the poor sob that did the work .
Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Ha-ha chaps!!

Sorry, might have misled you there.

The part was £130 + Vat from Parr. The labour was free. Well almost, it cost me several pairs of latex gloves, a few cent in the swear box and some badly shredded knuckles!!

I don't even know the names of the parts that I removed to get to the carrier, but it was:

* Car up
* Rear box off
* Hear exchanger pipe?? off
* Exhaust carrier off
* rear tin off
* Mounts off
* Broken carrier out
* reverse for refit.

It really make me appreciate the Ultima engine bay, rear clip off and everything is to hand:

The Porsche is all grovelling around on the floor!!!

Satisfying though.

Lucky
Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that's a work of art!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Ok guys,

Heres the latest.

The lady took the car back out on track at Brands. Thoroughly enjoyed herself and the car behaved itself:

Then muggins here asks for the keys and gives it a few laps of death until this happens coming outta Druids:

Basically the oil return pipe (that was stressed when the cradle broke at Snetterton) had pulled outta the crank case:

Dropped 9 litres of oil on track and wasn't flavour of the day with the g/f or the organisers!!

So, do I sell it as is, or get it fixed?

Suggestions please.

Pete
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've certainly have had some hard luck with this car, however it does seem to me that you both have enjoyed it when its worked. I've no idea the cost to repair that damage, but if reasonable get it repaired, check other areas of potential concern and put all this behind you. Then go out and drive. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete - sorry to hear about this. Reading you PH profile you appeared to have paid £12k for it last October. Without a functioning engine, not only will you struggle to sell it but when you do you'll probably only get £4-5k, losing you £7-8k in the process and leaving your Mrs without a car again.

If the engine ran with no oil then it's probably not worth trying to save it, and you won't know how bad it is until you've spent a few grand tearing it down, so I wouldn't go down that route.

So I'd suggest a second hand engine which I reckon you could source and fit for c.£5k all in. You could probably even get a 993 engine...

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by tjr; 02-07-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Thanks guys,

I'll have to repair I think, but it's the toss up between a repair or s/h replacement.

I nearly had a 993 engine from a guy on PH, fell through though.

Something to ponder. Hmmm.

Pete
Old 02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Pete,

Jon Mitchell has a "low mileage" engine for sale - currently on eBay - in Bournemouth. Here's the eBay link

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Any idea how far you travelled between the pipe letting go and turning off the engine? Maybe there's still a faint glimmer of hope that extensive damage didn't occur if it wasn't too long?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 PM
LuckyP
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Any idea how far you travelled between the pipe letting go and turning off the engine? Maybe there's still a faint glimmer of hope that extensive damage didn't occur if it wasn't too long?
Photographer said he heard the crack of the crankcase on the exit of Druids. I noticed the white plume about halfway down Graham Hill and then let off the gas and got off line - coasted around the outside of Graham Hill bend and mounted the grass on the exit as soon as I was slow enough not to spin. I don't recall turning the engine off until the access road, just after the bend. Doh! So say 15 secs, about 500 revolutions!!

Quick Reply: Greetings from a newbee......