Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics - May have found my Targa top wind noise issue...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
buellrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics - May have found my Targa top wind noise issue...any ideas?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jack.nod...ey=tYJWuukBESo

Took these pics this morning...I think the wind noise may be coming from the clip that the front of the targa top snaps into...one seems to be sitting a little higher than the other one (as you can see in the pics, one corner of the clip is not flush with the roof line, but the other clip (without the wind noise) is flush...)

It seems to be held in place with an allen key bolt. Has anyone here adjusted these bolts? Anyone know the torque setting for getting it tightened after an adjustment?

As well, does anyone have instructions on making adjustments to the Targa top itself? Is there a smart method to doing this?

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by buellrunner; 10-12-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Can't help you on the adjustment procedure, but I'll wager that the wind noise is coming from the gap in the seal were the ends don't meet. Get some black silicone sealer, and with the top off, fill in the gap and form the sealant with the same profile as the rubber, let dry.

I had a little wing noise at high speeds, and what I found was that the collapsible beams along the front and back were sprung out far enough to lock, but not far enough to seal. I added a removable batten on the underside going from center of the forward beam to the center of the aft beam. This is in compression and holds the beams in full expansion. I thought there was a set screw forthis adjustment but I couldn't find it. Solved my problem. If you need a photo, let me know.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM
buellrunner
Instructor

Mojo, there are gaps on both sides...I figured since the gaps are there symmetrically on both sides, that it was normal, and that all the Targa's have the thin splits in the rubber lining...Yours has no splits on either side of the rubber seal?

Jack
Old 10-12-2007, 02:40 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buellrunner
Mojo, there are gaps on both sides...I figured since the gaps are there symmetrically on both sides, that it was normal, and that all the Targa's have the thin splits in the rubber lining...Yours has no splits on either side of the rubber seal?

Jack
The splits in the rubber seals are normal. As far as the torque for the allen screw, one good grunt oughta do it. Tighten those down and also tighten down the allen head screws for the latches on the Targa top itself. Get those good and snug and it should be quieter.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 PM
mr pg
Racer

You could also try adusting the the catches in the roof itself. I did on mine, and the levers are definiter tighter to turn, meaning the seal should be better.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:27 PM
buellrunner
Instructor

Hey DeepUV,

I just bought some black rubber sealant, and sealed the cracks, see what happens...I didn't know it was normal to have the splits there..oh well, I can always pull the silicon out if it messes it up at all...

I think that the right side crack, combined with the fact that as you can see in the pic, the top fabric does not sit flush with the car has caused some of my windnoise.

see what happens after the silicon dries...
Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of the strut. It's a section of a carbon fiber sail batten off of a TP 52. It's about 3/8" thick and I put a groove width-wide on both ends so it won't drop down. It's only about 1/8" longer than the relaxed dimension that it spans. I found my top needed this by pushing forward on the frame while driving.

The seals are seamed on either side, but mine are glued to the adjacent seal, making it a continuous seal. Looking at my car again, I had an air leak were the door seal (oblong profile) meets the seal on the windshield (shaped seal) about level with the dash. You'll see this when you have the door open. A judicious amount of sealant fill up the gaps, don't over do it. The seals across the front are double lip seals and you don't want to deform them.

I'd recommend driving the car and have someone pull/push the top in various places to determine what's going on. I also use oring lubrication on all the rubber to quiet the squeks, etc.

Regarding the fitment of the vinyl, my leading edge is is not perfect. While in the sun, it has no stretch marks,but when cold it has a few tight spots. My top has never been folded up, by the way, I "relax" it and put it behind my seats.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
greenjt
Racer

Hey Mojo... That's a great idea. Where would one purchase such a sail batten if one were so inclined? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

You can buy one of these, remove the batten, and throw the rest away, if you're so inclined. Actually, I've had the batten way before the TP 52 came out. A hardwood strip 3/8" x 1 1/4" would do, there's not that much compression on it.

Quick Reply: Pics - May have found my Targa top wind noise issue...any ideas?