Sponsored by:

Need suggestions for track/DE seats for 5/6 pt harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need suggestions for track/DE seats for 5/6 pt harness

I will be at the point within the next 6 months or so where I'd like to install harnesses in my RSA for DE/track days. My DE habit is to the point where I need to be more firmly secured into the seat so I don't expend so much energy keeping my tail planted in the seat. I'll be either installing a harness bar or a bolt-in roll bar for the harnesses to run through. I currently have the stock RSA seats.

My requirement is that I also use the car for a periodic street driver and weekend hill country trip car for the wife and I. I need to have access to the space behind the seats for cargo. Therefore, I think I need to either find track seats that still fold forward for access to the rear parcel shelf or install track seats that can be fairly easily swapped back to the stock seats for weekend trips.

I'm not looking for ultra light weight race seats that are uncomfortable. I don't plan to ever race this car. I just need the harness guide holes including the hole for the anti-sub strap that would go between the legs. I also don't want to "mess up" the car installing track seats. I'd like it to be fully reversible and not require a complicated installation.

Am I asking for too much?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Most track seats are reversible, but if you're very tall you may have to weld them. The GT3 seats are very popular on this board, as well as the Recaro SPG's. You will need brackets for those sears, but they are bolt on, so you can take them out whenever you want.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

These seats might fit your bill as far as folding forward: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=339192

The guy is local to me and he invited me to stop by and look at them one of these days, but I can never find the time...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by ilko
Most track seats are reversible, but if you're very tall you may have to weld them.
This could be an issue since I am 6'3".

These seats might fit your bill as far as folding forward: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=339192

The guy is local to me and he invited me to stop by and look at them one of these days, but I can never find the time...
Interesting looking option. That would fit the bill except there is no hole for the anti-sub strap. I saw his response that holes could be added by an upholstery shop, but I'd want to talk with a shop first about what it would take to do that without costing a fortune or messing up the seats. I'm also curious what kind of hardware/rails I'd have to find to install them. Anyone else using these kind of seats in your 964 that can comment?

Does that price seem in line with what these seats go for? I'm kind of surprised its that high but am the first to admit that I don't know anything about them.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

I called Speedware Motorsports (a retailer that sells these new) and got the info on what brackets are needed. They sell each bracket for $110 (2 reqd) and each slider is $99 (2 reqd). I guess going to track seats is going to be more expensive than I thought...

He told me that the seats installed should be at least as low as the stock seats. The Recaro SRD's weigh 35 lbs each and the hardware for each seat is 8 lbs each for what that's worth. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a pair of these installed. For example, any issues clearing the ECU box under the driver's seat?

Last edited by TR6; 08-17-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
This could be an issue since I am 6'3".
Read this thread by Anthony then: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/349487-gt3-seats-in-964-if-your-tall-read-this-first.html
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
I guess going to track seats is going to be more expensive that I thought...
These guys seem to have good prices on brackets and supports: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/...at_mounts.html
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Also I meant to ask you, are you installing a roll bar for the harnesses? Because once you have that, you can forget about functionality of the back area. It seems that it's either or with our cars. In most cases it's or
Old 08-17-2007, 02:40 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Am I asking for too much?
If you want it to be affordable, too, well ... that may take some effort.

I'd recommend you go with the bar and secure the harnesses to the rear seat belt attachment points. Brey-Krause offers some well-made product and specializes in completely reversible mods. Check out their harness bar--it's beautiful.
The only reversible roll bar option is the DAS bar and that will run you a grand + shipping; all the other options require some cutting.

The outboard lap belt should clip to an eye bolt which replaces the shoulder belt lower mounting point BUT what are you going to do about the inboard attachment? The stock belt receiver is attached to your seat, so you need to figure out a way to attach that part and the race belt to the seat or tunnel.

Part no. 24 is how they solved the stock belt issue on the RS. But the race belt still needs a solution. The subs will definitely need bolts through the floor.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I just got some Corbeau's that are pretty nice and didn't break the bank.

The install was pretty easy as well.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
TR6
Drifting

Also I meant to ask you, are you installing a roll bar for the harnesses? Because once you have that, you can forget about functionality of the back area.
Unsure at this point. A harness bar may be the best option for me. I still would like to be able to pack track supplies into the rear shelf area behind the seats since I usually drive to the track. I understand with a Rollbar like DAS, etc, that may be more difficult.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the same Brey-Krause bar; Chris M recommended it.

BTW- With the seat/mounts from Corbeau I have about 1.5" clearance with my helmet on and I'm 6' precisely). If my *** can stand it I may take the seat pad out for additional clearance when tracking.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritter
BTW- With the seat/mounts from Corbeau I have about 1.5" clearance with my helmet on and I'm 6' precisely).
Given that I'm 6'3", I would lack about 1.5" clearance with a setup like yours. So it sounds like that wouldn't work for me without clearance issues.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you're deciding what to go for, have you tried a CG lock that fits on your normal seat belt?

The way it keeps your butt firmly planted in the seat is remarkable. Their ads claim that it gives 80% of the benefit of a harness. After using one on track 3 times, I am inlcined to agree.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:43 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
While you're deciding what to go for, have you tried a CG lock that fits on your normal seat belt?

The way it keeps your butt firmly planted in the seat is remarkable. Their ads claim that it gives 80% of the benefit of a harness. After using one on track 3 times, I am inlcined to agree.
The CG Lock is a comfort device. The harness is a safety device. There is no comparison.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for track/DE seats for 5/6 pt harness