Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 seats in 964. If your tall read this first.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Default GT3 seats in 964. If your tall read this first.

I installed Gt3 seats in my 964. Picked up a used set in excellent condition. I was told they had the 964 rails but when I received them they were actually the 996 rails.

If you are over 6 feet you will have issues with these seats especially if you plan on using a helmet in a sunroof car.

I installed the seats only to find I sat too far forward and way too high. I ended up purchasing the Brey-Krause side supports. These allowed me to lower the seat 1 inch and it allows for the seat to tilt back. The part numbers are R9079 driver and R9078 passenger. These sell for around $166 each set. I like them better because they are powder coated steel vs aluminum and are narrower than the factory pieces making the seat slide easier. I also like a little lean to my seat and these provide the ability to cant them slightly back or stock angle. These also position the seat about 1" further back on the sliders adding the extra leg room I needed. Although this helped tremendously, being 6'1" I still need a thinner seat cushion to fit properly with a helmet. I purchased a set of standard sliders and will try these this weekend, they should lower the seat by another inch.

Meanwhile I have some pictures of the 2 seats installed. the drivers is using the Breay Krause side supports the passenger the stock units. You can see the difference.

I will be removing the seats this weekend to install the Das sport bar and 6 point Schroth harnesses. I will have more pictures next week.
Attached Images     
Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking seats! Do you think you'll have any problems getting cargo in and out of the rear shelf/seat area? That has been one of my concerns with using non-folding seats. I drive to DE's and pack the car full with support gear.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I also changed the door handles and rests to black which I think looks better than the mismatched tan handles. The shift boot will be changed to black also.

Here is from the other side and a picture of the car as it looks now.

Edit>>

As far as cargo in the back it will be less accessible. The seat slides pretty far forward so there is some saving grace but I will try to take pictures this weekend to show you how much room there is. I am removing the rear seats to put the bar in so it doesn't matter to me. Since you have an RSA you have no rear seats. But if you look at the picture from the passenger side that is the seat with the 996 mounts all the way back. If you move the seat all the way forward you will gain ample room.
Attached Images     
Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice work, Looks nice. Are you going harness bar or rollbar?

I had similar woes with Recaro SPG's. I am still not 100% satisfied even after fabricating some parts myself.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Recaro
Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's helpful, Anthony .. I have just put GT3 seats in my 993 and have exactly the same problem - the side brackets as supplied from Gert were 996 items, quite high and vertical, as you say. And the runners are not exactly low profile, either.

What you say tells me that my 6'2" will not fit with a helmet if I retain the runners .. B-K told me a floor mount 993 bracket will be available shortly, so I am waiting for that ..

Until then, no chance of track fun ..

cheers, Maurice
Old 05-04-2007, 01:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgorman
Nice work, Looks nice. Are you going harness bar or rollbar?

I had similar woes with Recaro SPG's. I am still not 100% satisfied even after fabricating some parts myself.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=Recaro
Das sport roll bar with Brey Krause seat supports and Schroth profii 2, 6 point belts. I hear they are a real ball buster in the GT3 seats though.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I hear they are a real ball buster in the GT3 seats though.
Yeah I didn't see holes for the subs. Do the cushions come out?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Yeah I didn't see holes for the subs. Do the cushions come out?
Chris,

The sub hole is in between the cushions. There is a sub belt bar that you can attach the belts to also. All the cushions are Velcroed in place. It makes for an easy swap when my wife uses the car. Surprisingly the last event I sat on the fiberglass shell and it was quite comfortable. I am going to make up 2 new cushions a thinner one for me and a thicker one for my wife. The back of the seat has a lumbar pad that is Velcroed in place also. I will take some pictures and post later this weekend.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cobalt... hate to resurrect such an old thread but trying to figure this out myself. Considering new seats in my 964, took a look at Euro 996 GT3 seats. I fit them fine but might be too tall for them (6'1) especially with a helmet on.

Did you ever figure out a way to fit?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:29 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great...wish I can find seats like these
Old 09-08-2015, 06:06 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very interesting. I've actually been toying with the idea of getting these seats. Just have never seen it done.

They do look great.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I used these in my C2 for a number of years.Easy fit using stock sliders and Brey Krause side mounts. I set them higher than I wanted so my wife could drive on track and see over the wheel. I removed the cushion and sat on the shell when wearing a helmet. It was the only way I fit. Honestly it made no difference if anything it held me in better and you are so focused on driving comfort is not even a consideration.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 PM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobalt, thanks for the reply.

So, if I didn't want to remove the padding, you think I could just set the seat lower? (I don't have a wife that I let drive my P-cars hahaha)
Old 09-08-2015, 09:36 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Donoman, you can also mount the seat directly to the floor if you are the only driver. That's what I did using Brey Krause mounts and I have a lot of headroom using Recaro Profi XLs. Check out the info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-and-tips.html
Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by donoman
Cobalt, thanks for the reply.

So, if I didn't want to remove the padding, you think I could just set the seat lower? (I don't have a wife that I let drive my P-cars hahaha)
I wish I could answer that for you. We are all built differently I was 6'1" but time and a couple of collapsed discs, I now am at 6'. Lost an inch over the years. I have a long torso and shorter legs if you are all legs you probably won't need to remove the cushion I was fine driving on the street it was just once I added the helmet my head rubbed the headliner which made me uncomfortable.

I just finished my track build and no matter what seat I use I find if I want sliders that most seats I have the same problem with. Even with the Evo II's I am now using I still need to remove the cushion. I don't notice that there is no cushion at all and never felt any pain from not having it. So if it is just the occasional DE I wouldn't sweat it they are very comfortable seats and look nice either way.

I currently have sportster CS seats in my C2 and I would not be able to drive the car with a helmet but I don't plan to track it any more

PS: BTW the Brey Krause seat belt mount #9005 MTR posted will not work with our cars. The bolt sticks out too far and will cut into the carpet and restrict movement.

Quick Reply: GT3 seats in 964. If your tall read this first.