Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is making the scantool interfaces?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is making the scantool interfaces?

I have been searching for ages and WAS thinking of making a scantool interface, but i looks more complicated than i was hoping.

I have read hundreds of threads which were pretty old as i must be the last person here that wants a scantool for my laptop.

Who is making them and selling them?

I would like 2 one for me and one for another 964 owner.

Please let me know how much they are and i will have them ASAP.

I already have the scantool software ready all i need is the lead.

Cheers

Jeff

Last edited by jeffnudd; 07-02-2007 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling incorrect
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I have taken over the group buy activity that was running on the 993 board, that made PCBs from RayCM's schematic. Cowtown ran two group buys with a pcb layout he made. I have reproduced that layout. The schematic has some switches on it specific for the 993 but it will work for 964s with either deletion of the switch (just solder jumpers) or set the switches into the Motronic position.

In anycase in about 2 weeks I will have my prototype board which I will then populate with components and test. At that point, if everything checks out, I will start group buy thread and am also investigating offering fully assembled units (no soldering involved on your end).
Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Oh, one more thing, you are obviously not the last person. I want one which started this whole mess for me and several other 1995 993 owners want one as well!

One big issue for 964 owners is the connector that plugs into the car. At the moment Mojorizing was constructing some connectors for 964 owners (I just received mine and its beautiful) but not sure if he is taking more orders. If my plans for fully assembled units work out that is the one key item is difficult/impossible to source.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

I have seen a couple of threads that have pins in the diagnostic plug which i dont mind doing. as long as it reads codes im not bothered, although the socket would be nice and obviously looks more professional.

There does seem to be several scantool softwares about, has there been better updates since? and which is the better version should i be getting?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 PM
IanR
Racer

Jeff,

This interface from Andy Whittaker (Ecufix) in the UK works with Doug Boyce's Scantool software:

http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=183

It's showing none in stock, but would be worth dropping him an email.

cheers
Ian
Old 07-02-2007, 06:33 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by IanR
Jeff,

This interface from Andy Whittaker (Ecufix) in the UK works with Doug Boyce's Scantool software:

http://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=183

It's showing none in stock, but would be worth dropping him an email.

cheers
Ian
Thanks

I have just mailed him, but yes none in stock and he sometimes doesnt read all mail sent to him.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Scantool v4 is the latest version. I think on Andy's board's some members had to snip some of the LEDs to get it to work, that is in one of the threads. I won't be able to touch Andy's price, considering the small batch run I will be doing, but I hope to be able to offer fully assembled kits, with a housing cover, nicely integrated switches, and hopefully a connector. Otherwise at least I can offer just the bare boards (you have to purchase and solder all the components) for the hardcore DIYs among us.

Look a few posts up from this one and you will see the layout of the board that I recently finished (copy of Cowtown's layout).

993 thread

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-02-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Im assuming the diagnostic plug on mine (round black plug) they call the RS232 plug?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:54 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

The 19 pin plug on your car is known as "the 19 pin plug" or the OBD port on the car. The RS232 typically refers to the DB9 connector and serial cable that will plug into the back your computer.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ricardo,

I want one! Keep me posted. I can solder, but if someone is willing to do it for me.. cool. :-)
Old 07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

I would like a plug as soon as possible, so as soon as they are avaible let me know asap.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM
jjbunn
Racer

I'd be interested in a plug, too. Right now I'm using nails (which actually fit very snugly), with my home-built circuit board, but it looks a bit Heath Robinson. It does work, though :-)

The other thing required is the Serial-USB interface, unless your laptop has a serial DB9 socket (unlikely). Not all USB/Serial interfaces work due to the unusual 8800 baud rate used. You need one that's based on the FTDI chip. Don't waste money on an el cheapo variety unless it's based on that chip (ask me how I know, and thanks to Jason A. for the advice).
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Instead of fooling around with putting a USB interface on the board, just get a USB to serial converter for your computer. They don't cost much. You could also put the old computer with a serial port in your garage.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by jgrosjean
Instead of fooling around with putting a USB interface on the board, just get a USB to serial converter for your computer. They don't cost much. You could also put the old computer with a serial port in your garage.
That's what I was referring to ... I guess it wasn't clear
This is the one I bought: http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner...me=USB-COM-PL/

(No affil etc.)
Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck getting Andy Whittaker to return an E-mail, I've never had any luck getting him to do so. I definitely want to get on the group buy when it happens for the boards though. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Who is making the scantool interfaces?