Sponsored by:

Ticking noise - any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Ticking noise - any thoughts?

Lately I've noticed a light, thin, clicking, or ticking, noise from (I think) the front end when turning around in my drive. It's most like the ticking noises heard from a cooling engine.

I get just a couple of ticks while doing a K-Turn in my driveway. I haven't yet figured out if it's front or rear, or right or left. It's only occuring at walking speeds while pulling away from stopped with the wheel turned hard one way, or the other. It's a bit difficult to tell as this requires a bit of engine revving to pull away from stopped and that tends to drown out the sound.

I'm thinking CV Joints, but a couple of attempts at searching haven't convinced me of anything yet. I did have the CV boots replaced recently which leads me in this direction.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any input on possible things to be checking.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-07-2007, 12:57 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I've been searching and reading threads and am thinking that it is the CV Joints making the noise. I still don't know which one(s).

Assuming that the clicking noise is one, or more, CV Joints, can anyone venture an estimate as to how long I have before doing irreparable damage?

The noise only occurs occasionally. Mostly just when I've begun to think the noise is gone! And then just a couple of clicks.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:23 AM
david@st ives
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it clicks both ways , I doubt it is the cv joints.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Dave, can you get under there to take a look? If nothing sticks out and the boots are intact maybe you will see something else while poking around...
Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I've been able to reproduce the ticking sound with the car turned off by simply turning the wheel. It will click as I try and turn the wheel, and then again when I turn the wheel back. Pretty much in the same spot. Although, it won't always click and it's not always the same spot.

I jacked up the car and removed the wheel and, of course, it wouldn't do it with the wheel off.

It will click again with the wheel back on and the weight of the car back on the wheel.

I double checked and the boots that were recently changed were not the cv boots, but the steering rack boots. Also, the sway bar bushings were removed and lubed.

When I removed the wheel nuts I realized that the quick, click that is heard when the nut breaks free is almost exactly the sound that I am hearing when turning the wheel with a load on it.

As always, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-10-2007, 08:44 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Upper strut mount bearings?
As you turn the wheel the spring winds up against the upper mount and then snaps (click) as it starts moving?

Justa thought.

kirk
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

kirk,

I don't quite follow. What is the upper strut mount bearing?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

At the inside of the shock tower, the spring rides against the upper strut bearing. It is the part that rotates at the top of the spring.

(Not my best explanation)

Kirk

Quick Reply: Ticking noise - any thoughts?