Sponsored by:

Recaro Pole Position Seats Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

That's really strange Anthony, and freaky! I had my sub belts mounted through the floor on both 964s.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
That's really strange Anthony, and freaky! I had my sub belts mounted through the floor on both 964s.

I am thinking of doing this once i gut the interior. There was a time this was going to be a dual purpose car but those days are gone.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Just a word of caution on using the OE sub bar mount. I had them on my GT3 seats and had a bit of a failure. I need to bring this to Porsche's attention. I can only assume this is a rare fluke but the bar on my drivers seat failed for no reason. It was properly installed and after 2 seasons of use one day at Lightning my wife came in and said the seat would not move. I looked underneath the seat and the mounting tabs just let go at the bends for no reason. Being in the metal business. The best I can tell is the tab was never properly hardened. You can actually see a line about 25% through the length of the tab that was hardened the rest was not. So both sides had a perfectly clean break without any force applied. The tabs were never bent prior to installation and the paint was in perfect condition.

I don't know how to describe it but I am posting pictures of the bar. I am sure this is not the norm and I have never heard of another occurrence but I have since switched my units out to the BK version. This is the best picture I can find although I know I have better someplace. The 2 colors to the right/left of the break show red where the bar had failed early on and black which was the part of the bar that was holding together most of its time in the car. You can see the shinny parts which were the last sections to hold before letting go. If this were involved in an accident it would have done nothing to help prevent serious injury.

I recommend checking your bars to be sure they don't do the same. I do find it odd that the problem was identical on both sides and that there is no evidence of any damage to the bar anywhere except at the point of failure.
Got a better pic? i can't tell what I am looking at?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

hoefully you will use a better hardware arrangement, Schroths come w/ clips for pad eyes

like these
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Got a better pic? i can't tell what I am looking at?
I must have the original pic on another PC. I just figured I would try to relate my experience until I could find it.

The metal was cracked the entire length on both sides of the bar. 75% through from left to right or the closest section to you in the picture. leaving a section of metal maybe .040" by 1.5" holding the bar in place instead of the full cross section which is closer to .150" It is not so easy to get a good photo of the grain structure but the metal was clearly not tempered properly.

I will try to see what I can do by tomorrow. If i can't find the pic I will take another one.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
hoefully you will use a better hardware arrangement, Schroths come w/ clips for pad eyes
I looked into it and decided not to spend an additional $100 on the Schroths so the clips can look good under my seat.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I looked into it and decided not to spend an additional $100 on the Schroths so the clips can look good under my seat.
It's not a matter of looks, the installation of the sub attachments in your pics is inappropriate. It's your neck but others ought to think twice before doing it that way.

Read through the Schroth installation documents, it's worth spending some time on
Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im planning to install a set of pole positions on my GT2, I tried them and i fit fine , the only concern for hans and harness due to the low belt points?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Im planning to install a set of pole positions on my GT2, I tried them and i fit fine , the only concern for hans and harness due to the low belt points?
How the belts fit will depend on your body size and where the roll bar cross bar is located.

There needs to be a straight path, w/ 0-20* down angle from the shoulder top to the bar, if the pp holes are within that path then you are fine.

additionally w/ a Hans the shoulder belts need to be angled together, how far apart they are at the bar depends on the distance apart at the shoulder and the distance the bar is from the shoulder. But they definitely need to be angled in toward your body centerline.

Quick Reply: Recaro Pole Position Seats Questions