Sponsored by:

Recaro Pole Position Seats Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro Pole Position Seats Questions

Hi, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Recaro Pole Position seat and I have a few questions

1. Best Sources and why

2. How do you mount the stock seat belts back in the car for normal use.

3. How is the high with the helmet on.

4. How is the quality of the sliders?

Thanks in advance , I what to get them ordered early next week so I can have them in before my next event.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 AM
deoxford
Pro

Has no one put the stock seat belts back on?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Mysteron35
Track Day

Hi, my car has these seats fitted, it has the standard belts and harnesses, they we're fitted by a PO but I will have a look during the day and see how the belt fits. I'm 5'9 and have plenty of headroom with a helmet on.
Regards,
Steve.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:07 AM
deoxford
Pro

Steve,
Thanks ,let me know what you find,and some pics if I am not being to pushy
Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,364 Posts

One approach is Das Sport Seat Bar P/N 4003B012. Sliders are sliders, properly lubricated and adjusted they will work fine, Although there are some other manufacturers that offer a single lever adjuster vs the front bar across the seat base.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Mysteron35
Track Day

Hi, had a look and the belt buckle is bolted to the seat bracket, the large black plate with Recaro written on it. So if your sitting in your drivers seat (LHD) the bracket on your Right hand side has a hole in it and the seat belt stalk is bolted through it.
This is my first 911 and came fitted with these seats so I'm not sure where the standard car belt mounts are . If need be I can get some pictures up sometime soon.
Regards Steve.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:39 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought mine from www.northstarmotorsports.com. They sold me a L shaped bracket (porsche part) to use as a mount for the seat belt receptical. I don't think I could get a picture of where it goes. But I put it between the seat slider and floor where the rear inside mounting bolt for the seat goes.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 PM
madmoog
Racer

I've got them in mine but don't know what runners they're on as they were there when I got the car (but there is a bar at the front for adjustment - if that helps), anyway, I'm 5'6" and sit a bit low (even with short legs and a long body) for my liking. Considering a little extra foam padding in the base to raise me up a bit

I've only got harnesses but an considering reinstalling the normal belts as well as harnesses are a pain when popping to the shops (mall)

madmoog
Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Roland 93
Rennlist Member

Derek,

If you PM me with a fax #, I can send you a couple pages out of the Porsche PET. It makes figuring out which parts to order much easier.

Per seat, you'll want a seatbelt mounting 'L' bracket (964 521 065 00), three washers (999 025 231 03). I also added a lumbar cushion (993 521 793 00) that fits between the standard cushion and shell of the Pole Position which makes long drives reasonably comfortable.

I bought a Pole Position seat from PAR in NY and one from Speedware Motorsports in WA at a later date. Both arrived quickly, no problems.

For side mounts, you can order the $$ factory pieces off the PET. I purchased aluminum side mounts in anodized black from Speedware Motorsports. They mount the seat a little lower than the also available steel Recaro mounts. Using the Speedware mounts, I have a couple inches clearance above my helmet. I am 6 feet, and my car is a non-sunroof model.

I bought Recaro flat sliders with a 'U' release lever. The height adjustable Recaro sliders are not necessary as the side mounts have height adjustment incorporated.

Hope this helps.
Roland
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Is there anyone tall (I'm 6'3") using a Pole Position or SPG? The harness slots are so small on these seats, you'd have to fit just perfect for everything to line up correctly especially if you wanted to use a HANS device. Do the cushions come out?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

How do you route the factory stock 3-point seat belts, when using the Recaro PP's?

Do you slip the seat belt receiver THROUGH the harness hole on the side, so that the seat belt will clip in INSIDE the seat? I think this is how it's done with factory fixed-back seat installs on Porsche's, but I may be wrong.

Or, do you run the seat belt OVER the side of the seat, and down into the receiver? Seems that this would be the wrong way to go.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Jonnygo1
Pro

Try 964 521 965 00....it allows you to use the factory belt and puts the female part of the belt at just the right height.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 588 Likes on 404 Posts

here's my install & parts list

the pieces you need will depend very much on your body phenotype.

pp are ok for smaller thinner people but bigger guys will have a couple of issues
1) seat width
2) harness hole height

there are several variations on both of the above, pp aren't the narrowest seats and do fit a wide swath from the middle ranges of seat sizes but the harness holes are a limiting factor for those w/ tall torsos. You need a straight run from the top of the shoulder to the harness attachment point on the roll bar.

seat fore/aft placement is also an issue for those w/ long legs, I'd recommend Recaro flat sliders or oem double side locking manual sliders either works great, the oems are hard to come by at a reasonable price though( I looked for 2 yrs w/o any luck), the part #s are in the thread I referenced. For my long legs I had to drill new holes in the Recaro sliders to mount them as far back in the chassis as possible, I also had to drill holes for GT3 sub bars(I like them better than the BKs and they aren't real expensive and they do clear the underseat electronics) and extra holes for actually mounting to the chassis and sides.

as for the sidemounts themselves, it depends on the seats you use, each seat has it''s own needs and issues, for wide seats I ended up w/ L shaped Aluminum Recaro sliders(steels are excactly the same dimensions) I liked the Speedware's but they have a flare on the side that can interfere w/ the harness mounts in the sill, they would work better w/ narrower seats. The BKs are ss and a bit** to work w/, heavy as he** too. I found that the Speedware and Recaro sides mounted the seat in the car at a better angle than the BKs but agian it depends on you and the seat. On the Cups they used flat sides like the Recaros but inverted one side, so that the seat could be o/s to the middle of the car. This only works w/ a real narrow seat like the SPGs, I doubt that it would work for a wider seat like pp.

as for harness mounts the sill is easy both Rennline and BK have nice sill mounts, I used the oem RS pieces on the tunnel side w/ pad eys in the tunnel like the Cup cars used, the RS tunnel pieces are only used for the oem 3 point belts. I like the oem RS pieces because the match perfectly w/ the GT3 sub bars as far as thickness goes, there are also 3 mm thick washers from the RS, this is important because all of these pieces(RS tunnel mount, GT3 sub bar and 3mm washers are sandwiched between the sliders and sidemounts.

Mounting the oem 3 point belts can be a real chore but it depends on the seat width and bolster height. I used SPG XL seats which are very wide leaving no room on the tunnel side between the console and seat, even if the console was abbreviated or removed it wouldn't work because of the height of the bolsters. So I used rear belt ends through the side holes, It works great for me w/ pp the side bolsters aren't quite as high and the seat isn't quite as wide so w/ some mods to the mounts it can be fitted(an abbreviated console makes the whole fit easier to do)
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM
mwneedham
Instructor

Derek,

Obtained my Recaro PP from Motorsportseats.com. They were very easy with whom to work.

I chose to go with 6 point harness. This eliminated the stock seats.

As I am 6'2" (with short legs and long torso) I had the mounts placed directly on the floor ( no sliders) and I still remove one cushion for head clearance with my helmet. My coupe does have a sunroof.

As stated above, I am not using sliders so as to gain 1.5 inches of head clearance.

Good luck,

MWN
Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Just a word of caution on using the OE sub bar mount. I had them on my GT3 seats and had a bit of a failure. I need to bring this to Porsche's attention. I can only assume this is a rare fluke but the bar on my drivers seat failed for no reason. It was properly installed and after 2 seasons of use one day at Lightning my wife came in and said the seat would not move. I looked underneath the seat and the mounting tabs just let go at the bends for no reason. Being in the metal business. The best I can tell is the tab was never properly hardened. You can actually see a line about 25% through the length of the tab that was hardened the rest was not. So both sides had a perfectly clean break without any force applied. The tabs were never bent prior to installation and the paint was in perfect condition.

I don't know how to describe it but I am posting pictures of the bar. I am sure this is not the norm and I have never heard of another occurrence but I have since switched my units out to the BK version. This is the best picture I can find although I know I have better someplace. The 2 colors to the right/left of the break show red where the bar had failed early on and black which was the part of the bar that was holding together most of its time in the car. You can see the shinny parts which were the last sections to hold before letting go. If this were involved in an accident it would have done nothing to help prevent serious injury.

I recommend checking your bars to be sure they don't do the same. I do find it odd that the problem was identical on both sides and that there is no evidence of any damage to the bar anywhere except at the point of failure.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Recaro Pole Position Seats Questions