Sponsored by:

Focal 165VB Install Procedure: Phase 1 - Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Focal 165VB Install Procedure: Phase 1 - Tweeters

So I finally pulled the trigger on a set of seperates for the front doors.

Thanks to Nick for helping me obtain these!

http://signature.crutchfield.com/S-y...ss-165-VB.html

One issue that was keeping up at night, was how to best mount the tweeters. I had a set of Infinity 1" tweeters lying about and investigations into mounting them suggested this would be no easy task.

However - the Focal 1" tweeter is contained in a much larger housing. And would you look at that! With the tiniest bit of rounding out - the Focal assembly pressure fits PERFECTLY into the stock tweeter mounting assembly!

I have a long way to go including the disassembly of the doors, dynamating, running "real" speaker wiring, etc (let alone a new Soundstream 4 channel amp and then tuning the whole system!) - but at least this might encourage others to jump on the deal at Crutchfield, and get some great sound in thier 911.

Pics below show (in order),

- The stock tweeter assembly
- The stock tweeter driver popped out of the mounting bracket
- The means of enlargement. Be VERY careful and slow here. I used the rat-tail, then sand paper in a test fit, sand, test fit, sand test again routine to ensure a tight, perfect fit. I guess if you DO go to far - just wrap some teflon tape around the tweeter to tighten things up.

- The final fit.

I'll remove the stock Focal grills on the tweeters before install - don't need the added layer of protection, as it were.

I'm a little concerned about the dispersion characteristics of the tweeter since it will sit in a mildly "recessed" position.

As a fan of time-aligned driver arrays (Vandersteen, Thiel, et al), I like this notion - but you sit SO far off axis from the driver's tweeter - that it might have some impact. Like I said - a LONG way yet to go.

Hope this helps someone else and am happy to hear thougths or feedback on my approach. Now - WHERE to put this monster amp!?

RK
Attached Images      

Last edited by Rally Guy; 04-28-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Updating, expanding

Quick Reply: Focal 165VB Install Procedure: Phase 1 - Tweeters