Sponsored by:

Cup Car SPG mounting details

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:50 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cup Car SPG mounting details

Anyone know where I can get these brackets for my SPG XL's? Recaro does not seem to know much about them according to the rep. I am trying to lower my seat down a bit more, and I think these reverse type brackets are what I need.

http://www.carreracupusa.org/Race/interior/Interior.htm
Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=kgorman]Anyone know where I can get these brackets for my SPG XL's? Recaro does not seem to know much about them according to the rep. I am trying to lower my seat down a bit more, and I think these reverse type brackets are what I need.

I'm 6'3"+ and I drilled extra holes lower on the stock mounts. This has worked fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the same thing as Bob, and IIRC I had similar brackets as those shown. I had to trim off some of the bracket which extended up into the lap belt opening slot and would have been a wear point for the belt.

I think you'll find the reverse brackets are intended only for narrow seats like the SPG, not the XL.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Perhaps part of my problem is that I am using the SPG XL for sure. Frankly, I fit just fine in the SPG's, but my shoulders were a bit too high for the slots, and I wanted a better angle for HANS. Since the XL has larger openings, I went with that. The seat is only 35mm wider that the regular SPG. I measured and I don't think this is a problem. I just think I have the wrong brackets overall. Basically the seat bottom hits the mounting tab portion (flat part with holes) of the bracket. This prevents the seat bottom from being any lower not the actually car itself.

Do you guys have a recaro part # you are using so I can tell the rep?

I guess I should have used my other 'seat saga' thread for this one instead of creating a new thread.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not done this, but I understand if you don't need to move the seat around, you just don't use the rails, and bolt seat mount directly to the rail mounts. gets you about 1.5 inches.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I re-shaped my 996 GT3 side mounts to look a little like the ones in your picture. Why don't you try these ones. They are universal mounts for XL shells from FVD.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'll fix the picture links, soon.

Recaro sells the brackets still i believe but there are 2 versions steel and alumnium - the Cup car ones are Alumnium, and can be mounted facing in board or out-board.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:16 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Rob,

The guys at speedwaremotorsports went back and forth with the Recaro rep, we all even exchanged the pictures above from your site. Everyone was confused and couldn't help me. :-(. Is the part # on the bracket correct? Recaro didn't seem to know anything about it.
The following users liked this post:
Meatball964 (01-01-2020)
Old 03-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

That picture was taken by Bob Gagnon in 1992 at Andial and at the time it was correct. let me see if i can dig one up. i did have a set from the series but they may be the inboard ones.
Speedware also had issues with the correct recaro sliders for that era - the adjuster bar was hollow vs solid and shorter than the ones they make today. I have one of each in my car now (definitly not correct ) due to the fact that they could not source the right part (more likely it was phased out for the cheaper version advaible now).
I am close to speedware so can head down there and look at them for you as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Based on my experience, here are some options I considered for using the SPGXL:

1- Drill lower holes in a Recaro bracket, but IIRC this works with the older style brackets (sorry, don't have part numbers, but a long time supplier may have a variety of brackets in stock for you to choose from) and will require trimming some of the top to avoid interfering with the lap belt.

2 - Momo makes (or made) an aluminum bracket that allows the SPGXL seat to be as low as possible and still use sliders. I bought mine in 2005 when I moved my SPGXL to the passenger side. Note, all the European seats have the same bolt spacing in the seat shell so a Recaro bracket works with a Momo or Cobra seat and vice versa.
Find a dealer who sells multiple mfrs and good safety equipment, such as Schroth, and he will probably have a range of brackets available. Side space is tight with the 964 and a large flare in the bracket will infringe on valuable real estate you will need room for a proper lap belt installation - especially on the inboard mount.

3 - Speedware makes a universal bracket that may work pretty well, although it may need to be trimmed if it interferes with the belts. IIRC there is flare in that bracket.

4- Remove the seat cushion. I use only a "helicopter pad" from Pegasus in my Cobra seat..

5- Mount the brackets directly to the chassis - make sure the steering wheel doesn't interfere with safe egress, otherwise you'll need a removable wheel.

6- Relocate the DME and weld in new mounting structures with additional reinforcement in the floor - this would be part of an intergrated safety system of the seat, restraints and a cage.

BTW, the good looking aluminum Recaro brackets above won't work in the 964 if you want the seat as low as possible because the slots are where you need to drill lower holes.

If you search the Racing and DE forum you'll find many threads on seat brackets and proper seat installation. Redline Man (John Hajny) always has good suggestions on this topic. There was a good discussion in Feb 2005.

Last edited by dave-C2; 03-11-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:03 AM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Brey Krausse bracket! Lowest on the market!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burgass
Get the Brey Krausse bracket! Lowest on the market!
Yeah, but get your carbide bits out to drill them, they're stainless steel, and a real bitch to make more holes in. I told that to one of the guys from B-K, and he laughed.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:51 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Recaro Brackets, PN# 306 879 07 (Steel adapter SPA/SPG); on sale now at FVD for $85. No afflication, I was looking a few days ago and remembered seeing them).
Old 03-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i fixed the images on the Race Interior page and uploaded the full sized pictures
http://www.carreracupusa.org/Race/interior/Interior.htm

i am in the process of going through my Cup car stuff so hopefully will Find the Recar brackets that i have (had)
Old 03-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

bringing this thread back..... New Developments......
I have a set of each - i was wrong as well - these are two completely different brackets.
i am going to post them up to my web site sicne it seems i do not have upload prov's right now (might have missed my renewal or something

Quick Reply: Cup Car SPG mounting details