Sponsored by:

Importing into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:55 AM
PMB
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing into Canada

I am looking to import a 911 into Canada. I am thinking the DIY (I have the link)..... Has anybody done this or would recommend using a broker?.. .

(Still trying to download photo of my weapon, 94 C2 cab, black, 100 k miles , original )
Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Check with the border you'll be crossing, some don't care and faxed copy of title will be enough for them and others will only take original from a broker. American borders out west seem to be more relax than the ones along Quebec.

Good luck!!

P.S. Do a search in the Canadian forum, you'll find plenty.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

good advice to check with the exact entrance point. The Canadian custom inspectors vary in their requirements. Some may require daytime running lights, but that can depend on age of the car. Some may ask for a certificate that the car has completed all recalls for the year and model. Some will leave it up to your registration office when you do your title transfer. I would establish a direct contact at the border point ofice and work directly with them before going thru a broker. I'm an amercian that travels back and forth regurly and find the Canadian Custom agents easy to work with. As a minimum, make sure you have all papers in order like title, bill of purchase, name of seller.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just used TFX out of Toronto. They picked my car up from Florida and are dropping it off at my door in the next day or so.

3 reasons I went with them.

1. Price was great, compared to me driving down with a truck and trailer, staying overnight, food etc. I was only saving $200-300. Plus my time away from work, which means I am way ahead by letting them pick it up and drop it off.

2. They take care of everything, I mean everything. No customs, no paper work etc. You just need to fill out a few pages of there agreement and that is it.

3. ENCLOSED TRAILER. I bought a 38k 91 cab, I do not want it to get dirty, salt etc. I know some of you don't care and will drive it through the depths of time. But this is my garage queen.

I would give them a call. Talk to Adam, tell him I refered you if you decide to go that route. Mention my 91 cab and he knows who I am.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

DIY is quite straight forward .... if you do your homework well! Here is all the required reading : Click into all the headers, such as 'clearance of recalls', etc.

As far as US Customs, I have found them to be adamant about having the original Title 72 hrs in advance, as well as the recall clearance: some crossings apparently now accept photocopies.

The process is reasonably painless, if the homework is complete.
If the Bill of Sale is above the Red Book value of the car, it will be uncontested for duties and taxes.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all accept photocopies. Title must be faxed 72 hrs in advanced. Original title must be shown at border once you try to cross.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots more info on the Canada forum. I've imported 2 cars to date and I have a few posts on the subject.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:24 PM
PMB
Track Day

Thanks for the info, will keep in touch on the progress...
Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody interested in this topic can get the information from here:

http://www.riv.ca/

Kirk
Old 03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
They all accept photocopies. Title must be faxed 72 hrs in advanced. Original title must be shown at border once you try to cross.
No no no my friend. A faxed copy is them being nice with you. The real copy has to be either handed in or sent via a broker and that is the law.

The absence of recall is for the guy at canadian tire not the canadian border patrol. Fixing recalls can be made at your dealer.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Importing into Canada