Sponsored by:

How much to spend on my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
mdadmd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to spend on my car

I am a nubie p-car owner and need some guidlines as to how much to spend on my 1991 Cab with 84K. I recently purchased my car and I love it, especially teh color, venetian blue metallic. It is by no means a show car, scractes all around, wore drivers seat and steering wheel, tire rash on the rear rims etc. It was a drivers car. I paid $16500 for the car. How much is too much to spend on the car? I have to belive there must be a point when the cost benefit is not there and I would need to cut my losses.

I dropped the car off today at a well respected Porsche mechanic in CT. The car leaks oil, needs a tune up and I think needs new shocks, at least. My budget is 4-5K. If the mechanic recommends 10+k worth of service should I only have him do the bare minimum or should I just sell the car? Or, will I get all my money back for the recommended upgrades? I do not know what he is going to say but I want to be prepared. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Welcome! When you have a chance, we need pictures.

If you let this group know what the mechanic says, you'll get lots of good advice. Your purchase price should allow for for some repairs, if needed.

Doc
Old 03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Good price for miles that low. Don't panic about the oil leaks, they all do to some degree. Full tune up with valve adjustments will go for about $600 + or -. Make sure they check the dual distributor belt. If it's original, it needs to be replaced or you will find out the hard way. The oil leaks most likely are minor drips from valve cover gaskets or timing belt covers. The more serious cylinder head leaks usually occur in the earlier years of the car. A good suspension update will cost about $1800 done by a shop. Go with H&R heavy duty shocks and Eiback springs, get it lowered to European height and have the car corner balanced for about another $400. Porsche uses the best paint quality so your car can be wet sanded to get rid of the surface scratches and a fresh coat of clear coat can be applied all for less than a $1000. $4000 to $5000 to revitalize a used Porsche with a few good upgrades is reasonable. Don't get talked into a complete engine rebuild, 84k is not that much. Dealers will try that route, Sounds like you have a good P-shop. A 3 spoke Porsche monogramned steering wheel can be bought for about $350 w/o airbag and $750 with one. Most air bags need to be replaced after 15 years so the one you have is probbaly useless so youmay want one without. All kinds of good used Porsche seats on Ebay by owners opting for more sporty after markets.
You paid a good price and with only 84k miles, you should enjoy this one. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 PM
mdadmd
Track Day

Thanks Don for all the info. I think I will be able to sleep better tonite. After reading alot of posts on this forum I was begining to think that every 964 is in prestine condidtion and mine is not. I really apprecite your suggestions as it will give me some idea when the mechanic calls this week with the report. I will try and post some pics ASAP. I have one more question. The drivers side door only closes when I slam it. It sometimes seats on the outside of the cab top. Any ideas? All suggestions like Don's are much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
mdadmd
Track Day

Here are some pics
Attached Images     
Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

except for the seats and steering wheel the car looks great in the pictures
Old 03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdadmd
After reading alot of posts on this forum I was begining to think that every 964 is in prestine condidtion and mine is not...
Yowsers - far from it! On the face of it, it sounds like you may have gotten a really good deal. Did you get any kind of service history with it - any receipts, stamps in a service book, anything? Without that, you're sort of in the dark but if he's a "well respected Porsche mechanic", he should give you a good assessment of where it's at. Don gave you some very good advice about possible things that it might take to get it ship-shape. The leaking-head problem was addressed mid-1991 MY, so it depends when yours was produced. Little leaks are no big deal. The mods mentioned are nice but if the PO's didn't maintain the car, you will pay for it and it might take most of your $4K to get it up to snuff - but even at that, you'd still be doing pretty well price-wise. 84K is young on these cars unless they've been severely thrashed.

That car looks sharp to me - love that color! The driver's seat doesn't look too bad, a little Leatherique treatment on those seats would work wonders.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
mdadmd
Track Day

Barry, What is Leatherique treatment? Is it something I can do or is this in line with Don's thoughts on wet sanding the exterior and needs to be done by a professional? Thanks for all your imput!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.leatherique.com/serv02.htm

A lot of people have their pet products for leather, but this is the best I've found. People on every forum rave about this stuff for leather. It was done to my 911 before I bought it and my leather is soft and supple. I tried it on a Saab and was amazed. Best done in the summer as they state, so it can absorb fully.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics, mdadmd!

Doc
Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
MrDigitaL
Intermediate

Great car...Buy whatever makes you happy.

Quick Reply: How much to spend on my car