Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Transmission Issue

Old 03-04-2007, 03:18 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 52 Posts
Angry Sunroof Transmission Issue

Finally got around to replacing my sunroof cables this weekend. Completely removed all sunroof parts including the cable tubes behind the zipper and cleaned everything completely. Quite a lot of gunk and gummed up old grease. I installed new velvet seals and started to reassemble.

I did a quick test of the cable operation before everything was back together. The cables dont move. The sunroof motor works fine, I can see the little rubber clutch spinning but I cant see the pinion gear move. If I use the sunroof crank from the toolkit then everything moves fine. I removed all the felt from the new cables and that helped to reduce friction but still no movement unless I use the crank.

Can this little sunroof transmission no longer handle the torque? I would hate to spend $450 on that part if it did not fix the issue. Anyone have any additional thoughts? Can this part be adjusted or repaired or am I doomed to spend the cash?
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pulled one from a wrecked 89 C-4. Let me study it and see if the transmission is the only possibility.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I had the same same , years ago . Found a loose screw , it let the gears out of engagement .
Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
I think I had the same same , years ago . Found a loose screw , it let the gears out of engagement .
I had not looked into that possibility. Thanks for the tip.

Largr Porsche swap meet coming up next weekend in SoCal. Maybe I could find a used one.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Sten
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the screw you have to remove to fit the manual winder acts as a kind of clutch - try tightening up the screw and see if you get anything.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sten
I think that the screw you have to remove to fit the manual winder acts as a kind of clutch - try tightening up the screw and see if you get anything.
Great suggestion - but no joy.

I pulled the sunroof transmission out and spun the part that connects to the clutch and the pinion turns. I then held the pinion gear with two fingers and again spun the clutch and sure enough, pinion gear does not move. I would guess I had less than 2 lbs of force holding the gear. Sounds like the sunroof transmission is shot. I just cant bear to spend $450 on that part so Ill go hunt down a used part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof Transmission Issue