Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-sieze compound on wheel studs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anti-sieze compound on wheel studs?

Having read a few recent posts about siezed wheel nuts I was wondering what people's experience/opinions are re: uisng "anti-sieze" compound on lug nuts.
I have used it in the past on various vehicles with mixed results i.e. some nuts/bolts still take extra effort to loosen and yes I always use a torque wrench to tighten them.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I have always used anti-sieze on my p-car lug nuts, both stock alloy and steel nuts.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Would there be a change in the required/suggested torque on the lug nuts when using anti-seize?

I use antiseize routinely on assembling parts. It is a must on any stainless steel fasteners, to prevent galling. As in engine assembly (in my antique engines and Chevy V8's), the right lube is required on head bolts, etc. to ensure consistent torquing; but the torque specs can change depending on whether lube is used or which type of lube.

Good question - seems quite obvious.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
Would there be a change in the required/suggested torque on the lug nuts when using anti-seize?
Torque tables I use show the lubricated torque is 60% of the dry torque. Porsche should say if their torque spec is for dry or lubricated threads. It is important, because if you have a good lubricant and use the dry torque spec, you are very close to damaging the fastener. FYI I always use anti-seize and use 60% of the dry torque. I have never had a problem with things loosening, and I have fewer problems with corrosion or damaged fasteners.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Cuppie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use high temp copper grease on the lugs and also the mating face of the wheel to hub.

Torque up 50% initially, then 100%.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:12 PM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe one should use aluminum paste instead of copper. At least in the marine world (I had a sailracing career many years ago) we try to avoid aluminium (lug nuts) and copper.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
Best I can tell Porsche started to use aluminum lightweight lugnuts in the eighties and in just about every wheel related TSB since then there is a section/paragraph specifically for aluminum lugnuts. In some TSBs they recommend Optimoly HT (copper paste), Part No 999-917-728-00 and in others Optimoly TA (silver colored - I believe aluminum or nickel based but it doesn't say much on the tube "Optimol Paste TA"), Part No 000-043-020-00. The reason they specifically recommend the Optimoly products (from a divison of Castrol) is because those pastes do not affect tightening torque. Just comparing these two products visually to other brands there is a huge difference between Optimoly HT and say Permatex (consumer division of Loctite) copper paste. If you avoid your local dealer the Optimol products will only cost a few dollars more than the generic brands. The MSRP on Optimoly HT is/was $92.10USD but when I last bought some a few months ago it was available for $17USD, so it pays to shop around and avoid your local dealer as much as possible. It is probably even worth it to seek out a Castrol lubricant dealer. Porsche's price is starting to get up into Krytox territory.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use anti seize on everything !

I torque my alloy nuts to 76 ft lbs with the copper anti seize on them....BTW

Quick Reply: Anti-sieze compound on wheel studs?