Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak alternator making it run bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weak alternator making it run bad?

I've asked here before about my running problem. At low speed if I give it gas it will buck, even backfire... Ever since the 60M service. Anyway, shop calls today, they think it's the alternator.. Say it's only putting out 13.1v maximum, as low as 12.8.... Not feeding the computy enough juice... Gave them the go ahead... You guys think that could be it? We'll know tomorrow about now, I'll report back!
Old 12-11-2006, 08:15 PM
bwoodry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also Check your coils and plug wires.

Also look at your distributor belt ,,if the secondary dist is not working it can cause problems.

good luck
Bob
Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964

Had the same issue at a club race earlier in the year. Missed qualifying getting it changed and started dead last. Car ran great after the new alternater was installed, was even able to win class. Low power will also cause ABS to have problems. Hope the new alternater does the trick. Regards
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by bwoodry
Also Check your coils and plug wires.
Also look at your distributor belt ,,if the secondary dist is not working it can cause problems.
Bob
Wires all checked several times by several shops... Dist, caps, rotors all new.

Originally Posted by Steve Watkins
Had the same issue at a club race earlier in the year. Missed qualifying getting it changed and started dead last. Car ran great after the new alternater was installed, was even able to win class. Low power will also cause ABS to have problems. Hope the new alternater does the trick. Regards
Steve your post is encouraging! I also have been thinking, I have had 3 Alt belts go in 2 years (12,000mi) and a battery (has a fresh red-top now)
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the alternator does it , great. The other thing that will give backfires are closed up valve clearances . Did your 60k include valve clearances ?

Geoff
Old 12-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If you pull off the alt belt and go for a drive , what does the car do ? Does it run ok ?
If your alt is putting out badly , not pure dc , it can send all sorts of junk down the line .
If its putting out some ac , the voltage will be going up and down and that can freak out computers .

So if you think its the alt pull off the belt , that will stop the alt from putting out anything . If the car runs fine with the alt not spinning ....
Old 12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

The car is in the shop Indy, I expect to pick it up later today...
I have been thinking of replacing the alternator for some time now, the torx on the shaft is buttered up some. I was worried about not being able to do an emergency belt replacement. Last time I lost one, it was at 4am with 30 minutes of driving time to get home. Made it with no problem, didn't notice that it ran any differently one way or the other. Would have been a nice 3 hour project for $200 that now will be all over $700, oh well...

Geoff... Yes the valve adjustment was part of the service. My biggest fear has been that they screwed that up....

Whatever it is, I just want it fixed so I can enjoy it once in a while. Trying to get thru this is gettin old, real old. Been a year since it ran right and it's been looked at 5x, this makes 6... If this doesn't work it is going to a dealer for the final shot, if THAT don't work, look for it on ebay. I'm already investigating 996's but rather drive the 964 (or I woulda bought a 996 when I got this one).
Old 12-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"If this doesn't work it is going to a dealer for the final shot, if THAT don't work, look for it on ebay."
How bout I come over to florida for some warmth and mess about with your car ?
Any of your boats , live aboards ?

"Yes the valve adjustment was part of the service. My biggest fear has been that they screwed that up"
A leak down test will show a leaky valve if they have adjusted a valve off of the seat .
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Originally Posted by Indycam
How bout I come over to florida for some warmth and mess about with your car ?
Any of your boats , live aboards ?
No, none of them are. Sorry...
I hope this solves it, I really do.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I can't really think of how the alternator would affect the problem you're describing, unless the battery is also shot. I lost the v-belt on my car and didn't notice it until the temperature started climbing up to 230F. On other cars, I've driven some of them without alternators. Some drag racing cars do not even have alternators. If the computer and other electrical components are getting 12V, they will run just fine.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The alt can put out ac . If ac gets to the computer .....

"I lost the v-belt on my car and didn't notice it until the temperature started climbing up to 230F."
That belt was the fan or the alt ?
If it was the alt belt your temp should stay fine , so I guess you lost the fan belt .
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
...That belt was the fan or the alt ?...
On my car, it is both the fan belt and the alt belt.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

I never did well understanding anything electrical... I know from experience however, the good battery from my 115hp outboard motor would not start my new 150hp motor. Good battery, engine spun fine, but not enough juice for the computer... The minimum amp is in the manual. Makes no sense to me, but that is fact. Having had that experience, I believe it could be the problem. In any case it needed a new alternator, now it'll have one. I'm leaving Thursday with it for Florida (1200 miles), so it's the best time to find out it was bad. The other thing that makes me optimistic is the mechanic. He works on just Euro cars and was the only guy that could trust my two Saabstories to back in the 80's, he's pretty good..
Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

are you coming thru Orlando or going down I-95? I just went thru Stuart over weekend on the way back from Miami. Suppose to be some pretty big storms coming thru off the Gulf on friday so might want to check on the weather.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Oh , of course , you have one of those old ones .

Quick Reply: Weak alternator making it run bad?