Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know a SF wrench for 964?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know a SF wrench for 964?

I'm up in SF and my newly "fixed" car is now idling at 1500rpm or going to 1500rpm then drop to 900. I need to find a place with a working ISV to see if it's failed. I tried cleaning it (since the wrench overfilled the oil and probably contaminated the ISV and intake) but it's stuck open. I remember it's suppose to be closed when warmed up.
Any shop in the SF area? I don't have a lot of time to go outside the city and have to be back in LA Sat. 3 cars to choose from and I had to pick the newly "repaired" one.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Batmite
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Automotive

Deven Wailes at Hitec Automotive

http://www.hitecauto.com/
(415) 258-9619

North across the golden gate bridge,
Just before San Rafael.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...396&iwloc=addr
Old 11-02-2006, 11:48 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

'The Stable' is one shop my car used to go to (w/o me). I have seen them recommended before. It's in SF.

If you want to go to San Rafeal, Rob at S-CAR-GO (http://www.scargoracing.com) is super friendly.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it home if its running ok .
Old 11-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well Indy... I'd rather pay for a wrench to do work than a tow from Salinas or something.
The problem is that this morning the check engine light came on when I started and it died. So I'm thinking they screwed it up even more. Makes my wife feel very good about telling me to get rid of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If it dies in Salinas , call the dead head that did the work , tell him all about the fine job he did ....
I'm driving down to sd this weekend in the van , I could follow you down nascar style . I've got a good tow rope .

Wife or car , wife or car .....
Does she treat ya good ?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I already called him. I told him they overfilled and dirtied up the ISV. He said oil doesn't get up there... seems the oil overflow doesn't go near the ISV. To think I blackberried Rennlist archives for Otto's before letting him take it.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I second 'The Stable'. Never been there but he did 2 PPI's for me on potential long-distance purchases. Al is a good guy to talk to, seems very knowledgable and honest, was prompt and reasonably-priced. They seem to have a large and devoted following. And they do "air-cooled only".
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"He said oil doesn't get up there... seems the oil overflow doesn't go near the ISV. "
Ha , them fools on rennlist that own , run and repair 964s , keep talking about oil fouling up the ISV .
What a buncha goofballs . Just cause a bunch of them have cleaned out oil from da ISV and the motor run better proves nothing . Let us all bow down to Otto .
Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 PM
loot87
Racer

Holy crap Eggplant. This all started as an alternator replacement and mechanics needing to eat, too, right?
I feel lucky that I actually like working on the car and don't have to find a wrench. But I got there from a similar experience with my Cherokee at an Aamco when I was in college. It's so hard to pull the trigger on making the mechanic put it all back together and towing it away. First, you have to PAY for that, which may or may not come out less than letting them finish - but you just never know. Second, you have no idea what they'll do to your car when you pull the trigger on taking your car away. You can't sit there and watch and maybe they do something that you can't see for a long time and won't be able to prove. I feel for your situation and Adrian's advice, while sound in principal, is pretty hard to carry out on real people who are flawed. Yeah, there's always the legal system to go after them with, but how do you prove it and where does the time come from to deal with this crap.

And Otto has a good rep on this board (until now) so that makes it tougher, too.

This story is a freakin nightmare. You need to charge Otto back on your credit card and maybe file something with the BBB. He needs to make this right, including whatever you get hit with from the SF shop for fixing the oil overfill.

Good luck, man.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I sure hope the alt did not get replaced .
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well I've just disconnected the DME Relay and battery. Hopefully it'll reset and go away like a bad dream.
Otto has offered to do the oil change (I use synthetic 0-40, he put in Castrol GTX 15-50) and will look at the ISV once I go back. If it is the ISV then it's another $270. It could be the AFM is also contaminated. Might need another 2-3 hours of work. He just said I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to ISV and overfilling. No oil can get up there for him. I just gave up and said see you monday.
I sometimes do want to do my own wrench work. But my freetime goes to my family first. Money I can make back... time lost is not recoverable.
Originally Posted by loot87
Holy crap Eggplant. This all started as an alternator replacement and mechanics needing to eat, too, right?
I feel lucky that I actually like working on the car and don't have to find a wrench. But I got there from a similar experience with my Cherokee at an Aamco when I was in college. It's so hard to pull the trigger on making the mechanic put it all back together and towing it away. First, you have to PAY for that, which may or may not come out less than letting them finish - but you just never know. Second, you have no idea what they'll do to your car when you pull the trigger on taking your car away. You can't sit there and watch and maybe they do something that you can't see for a long time and won't be able to prove. I feel for your situation and Adrian's advice, while sound in principal, is pretty hard to carry out on real people who are flawed. Yeah, there's always the legal system to go after them with, but how do you prove it and where does the time come from to deal with this crap.

And Otto has a good rep on this board (until now) so that makes it tougher, too.

This story is a freakin nightmare. You need to charge Otto back on your credit card and maybe file something with the BBB. He needs to make this right, including whatever you get hit with from the SF shop for fixing the oil overfill.

Good luck, man.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Eggplant,

I think you have already lost a lot of that "free time to the family" through this ordeal. Certainly, you had the right intentions but your experience makes me wonder whether I should just tackle my upcoming service myself during the holiday break instead. Time & money certainly are valid considerations, but the peace of mind and satisfaction of owning ones failures/success is priceless to me.

My 2 cents
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
loot87
Racer

I certainly understand your intentions Eggplant. Best of luck finding someone you can trust.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

And how is it after the dme reset ?

I still got that tow rope .

Quick Reply: Anyone know a SF wrench for 964?