Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup Car racing at its finest - Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll even cover the transportation from the US dock to the track and back. And that's a lot for a poor American...

"I wouldn't leave it at your place for "safe keeping""
Thats just as well since I don't have the room...
Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 97 Posts

So, just in case a plan comes together, would I need an international race licence? What's the score for a Brit racing in the US?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
So, just in case a plan comes together, would I need an international race licence? What's the score for a Brit racing in the US?
Not a problem Colin. I would be happy to race it for you. As far as the score for a Brit, well ole Nigel did a pretty good job when he was here.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
only problem is that shipping an unregistered 964 Trophy/Cup across the pond then hiring a tow car and trailer for a week is probably not going to be very cost effective for the averagely poor Brit
Have the car flown into Hartford, CT and once your past US customs we can throw dealer plates on it and then drive the hour to Lime Rock.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Gee Larry, is there anyone's car that you haven't offered to drive for them?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Only the ones that are slower than mine.

....but if you really must know, I almost never drive anyone else's car, not that I haven't been asked often.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

OK, seeing as my driving is not up to Nigel's standards (but OK for a club racer) I may need an unfair advantage on foreign soil. So....

.....do I bring it as it is and just have some fun, OR should I squeeze in my new 450hp 500Nm 4.0 litre n/a engine and kick some butt?

(PS anyone know how much it costs to fly a car across the pond? If the answer is what I think it will be I will then probably be needing a sponsor!)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Your car as it stands would fit into the GTC-1 class which is specific to the 964 Cup cars and must be run in original specification. No modifications other than you can run any 17 or 18" wheel in the same width and offset as the factory Cup 1 or speedline 3 piece wheels. So, unless you wanted to compete in the GT2 class which is N/A engines over 3.4l, pretty much anything goes except you need a porsche engine and factory tub.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:33 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Colin
You need a PCA race license and we would need to do the proper paper work? Do you have a Brit Porsche club race license? It can be done! Larry You can drive my car. If you times are not up to snuff then you will have to chill on the ego. I love you larry but your over the top sometimes. I don't believe any of our skillss are anything special. Scottoman
Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Colin, Roll on roll off (the cheapest) is about 1500+ duty?? Fly over is much more!! Bob
Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Larry You can drive my car. If you times are not up to snuff then you will have to chill on the ego. I love you larry but your over the top sometimes. I don't believe any of our skillss are anything special. Scottoman
Thanks Bob, you are the best, and I honestly doubt if I could drive your car as well as you do. It would be fun to try; we could swap cars and compare notes. Maybe at that early spring Glen event that you run at. I do, however, think that the quick PCA guys are pretty darn good, not pro caliber, but better than many of the mid-pack runners. I guess that I am just excited to be back.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin,

You could always ask the RAF if they are planning to take a Hercules over the pond sometime. Maybe you could catch a lift off them! I've heard someone did that before. How you would get it back though is another thing...
Old 11-03-2006, 05:22 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In the UK all racing is governed by the RAC Motor Sport Association, so all I have is a generic UK race licence. You then need membership of an organising club, in my case the Porsche Club G.B. whicj then allows me to compete in their races and other "invited" races of other clubs. I am not sure what I would need to do to get an international race licence - it may be easier and possibly cheaper for me to come over and get a PCA licence?

I'll look into shipping, roll-on looks favourite if only on cost grounds - perhaps I can persuade Mel to share a container with his Cup and come for the ride?

WRT race classes, GTC-1 looks favourite but it would be a shame not to crate over the 4.0 litre for the "9m World Tour", if only to silence those few remaining naysayers.

Seeds sown, I''ll go and think about it for a while.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Thanks Bob, you are the best, and I honestly doubt if I could drive your car as well as you do. It would be fun to try; we could swap cars and compare notes. Maybe at that early spring Glen event that you run at. I do, however, think that the quick PCA guys are pretty darn good, not pro caliber, but better than many of the mid-pack runners. I guess that I am just excited to be back.
What are the dates of the early spring Glen event?

c
Old 11-03-2006, 07:45 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

ninemister,
can you hook me up with a ride when I come to the U.K. ?
My wife is English from the midlands and we go over evry summer.

Quick Reply: Cup Car racing at its finest - Summit Point