Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerflex bushes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vandit, thought I would post this so others will understand the issue you are having with the Powerflex sleeve that does not have a notch.

On page 10 & 11 of the FDmotorsports install direction for Walrod bushings, they have a picture of the OEM front threaded sleeve with has a notch designed to hold the sleeve in place. I purchased my bushings from FD based on this write-up

http://fdmotorsports.net/Control%20A...%20Install.pdf
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Yea, I will snap a pic of each side-by-side when I get home. Once stuff is torqued down, I don't think that will be an issue. My question arose before I realized that the Powerflex replacement sleeve has a nut on the end to hold the sleeve while you torque it down.

The issue at hand that has me worried is getting the bushing into the arm and keeping it from rotating in the arm.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Roger that. Keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be interested in their response also.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Okay, I wanted to clarify the answer to my own question, which you can read at Post #37 in this thread.

Unlike the Walrod bushings that reuse the OEM center sleeve, the Powerflex kit comes w/ it's own replacement center sleeve.

My question arose because when I removed the arms and looked at the OEM sleeve on the front bushing, I noticed the OEM sleeve has a raised section.

You can see here, the Powerflex sleeve on the left has no bump, but the OEM piece on the right has the bump.

The purpose of the bump in the OEM sleeve is so that it locks into this notch on the front suspension subframe. Remember, the sleeve itself is threaded and acts as the nut on the bolt, so in order to torque down the bolt on the forward bushing, the sleeve must remain stationary.

When I saw that the Powerflex bushing did not have this bump, I wondered "Then how do I keep it from spinning when I torque it down to the required 81 ft/lbs?" hence my original question.

Here's the answer.

I had not noticed that the sleeve provided by Powerflex is noticably longer than the OEM sleeve. This means the sleeve will protrude out the front of the bushing, and on this protrusion, the sleeve has a couple of flat spots so that you can grab it w/ a spanner, and hold it stationary while you torque down the bolt.

Here you can see how a 22mm spanner is all it takes to hold the sleeve in place when you install it onto the car and torque it to the required 81ft/lbs.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:27 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

sorry for bringing the thread up again,
so Vandit , do u mean it's ok to use the sleeve provided by powerflex ? since according to the powerflex website, they suggested to reuse the OE centre sleeve in step 2 of their installation guide.
I am asking this because I found a noticeable knocking sound ( sound is gone when I Rev the car at stationary ) after I've got the car back from the garage, they claimed it might be caused by the bushings aren't held in place...
Originally Posted by Vandit
Okay, I wanted to clarify the answer to my own question, which you can read at Post #37 in this thread.

Unlike the Walrod bushings that reuse the OEM center sleeve, the Powerflex kit comes w/ it's own replacement center sleeve.

My question arose because when I removed the arms and looked at the OEM sleeve on the front bushing, I noticed the OEM sleeve has a raised section.

You can see here, the Powerflex sleeve on the left has no bump, but the OEM piece on the right has the bump.

The purpose of the bump in the OEM sleeve is so that it locks into this notch on the front suspension subframe. Remember, the sleeve itself is threaded and acts as the nut on the bolt, so in order to torque down the bolt on the forward bushing, the sleeve must remain stationary.

When I saw that the Powerflex bushing did not have this bump, I wondered "Then how do I keep it from spinning when I torque it down to the required 81 ft/lbs?" hence my original question.

Here's the answer.

I had not noticed that the sleeve provided by Powerflex is noticably longer than the OEM sleeve. This means the sleeve will protrude out the front of the bushing, and on this protrusion, the sleeve has a couple of flat spots so that you can grab it w/ a spanner, and hold it stationary while you torque down the bolt.

Here you can see how a 22mm spanner is all it takes to hold the sleeve in place when you install it onto the car and torque it to the required 81ft/lbs.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Do you have a link to the Powerflex installation manual you're talking about?

Per my experience that I documented in the photos above, the Powerflex bushes include all new hardware. I did not reuse any of the OE bushing hardware that was removed from the arms.

Unless Powerflex has changed their bushing configuration between 2013 and today (2016).
Old 05-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Additionally, you can see many more detailed photos of the components included with the Powerflex kit and their installation in my installation thread. See link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-overhaul.html
Old 05-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

m3vs911: I figured out your confusion.

You're reading the instructions for the installation of the rear trailing arm bushings.

http://powerflexusa.com/porsche96419...pfr57-106.aspx

This thread is discussing the front control arm bushings.

Regardless, I've got you covered. Click the link to my thread above. I also installed the rear Powerflex bushes and included detailed photos and tips regarding that installation too.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:19 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Brilliant ! thank you very much Vandit !
Originally Posted by Vandit
m3vs911: I figured out your confusion.

You're reading the instructions for the installation of the rear trailing arm bushings.

http://powerflexusa.com/porsche96419...pfr57-106.aspx

This thread is discussing the front control arm bushings.

Regardless, I've got you covered. Click the link to my thread above. I also installed the rear Powerflex bushes and included detailed photos and tips regarding that installation too.

Quick Reply: Powerflex bushes