Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air intake temperatures with a cup/drilled airbox versus a stock airbox.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 09:52 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
Colin,
Temperature is measured by a thermistor. A thyristor is a gate controlled power switch.

That's exactly why I stick to designing parts that move, but at least I got the th...istor bit right!

Point well understood about off WOT performance & temperature w.r.t. the stock installation around town and in "normal" driving conditions, but that does not detract from the fact that in general most punters would accept a small part throttle loss for the WOT gain, after all when was the last time anyone asked for a part throttle dyno comparison? As Jack said, a 5% loss of power at 2000rpm is overcome by application of 2% more throttle, so unless the engine is mapped incorrectly for the higher AT I also doubt that anyone would notice the difference.

Geoffrey, can you let me have the details of the fast response AT sensor, looks like it would be well worth fitting on our Motec turbo applications.

Also glad that you are gaining from the discussion Chuck, I personally get bored with the "which wheel/colour/polish/etc" debates and also enjoy the more technical posts and have also learned a lot from other Rennlisters.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

A 4 page thread discussion that results in a possible +/- 1-2% power gain?
It must be a boring summer time for many!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:43 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question. The air temp while driving was actually cooler than the temp at idling. Isn't that an improvement as we are moving most of the time?
Old 06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Colin,
There are tiny ntc termistors available from Siemens and a faster one from Bosch. The Bosch number is 0 280 130 085 and it has a standard 2 pin socket.
The specified time constant is < 5 seconds as opposed to the 20-40 seconds of the more standard type , like say the one found on a 993.

I guess it was Mark posting his measurements that kicked this off ! I have to admit some bias, as I advised him to replace a cone filter buried in the dark steaming recess of the engine bay with a standard snorkel lid when he got round to putting his car on a chassis dyno.
You will understand where I am coming from.

About time you got back to telling us about your heads etc !! as, apparently we are bored !!!!!!!!!

All the best

Geoff
Old 06-21-2006, 07:06 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
can you let me have the details of the fast response AT sensor, looks like it would be well worth fitting on our Motec turbo applications.
Marc is using the regular HFM5. Have you looked at any of the motorsports sensors?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess it was Mark posting his measurements that kicked this off ! I have to admit some bias, as I advised him to replace a cone filter buried in the dark steaming recess of the engine bay with a standard snorkel lid when he got round to putting his car on a chassis dyno.
Technically I have never had a cone filter - I had a Fabspeed cup airbox.

If someone was willing to lend me a cone filter, I'll do the same test again with all three - just out of interest.

Marc
Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
A 4 page thread discussion that results in a possible +/- 1-2% power gain?
It must be a boring summer time for many!

Would you rather talk about polish......?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Colin,
There are tiny ntc termistors available from Siemens and a faster one from Bosch. The Bosch number is 0 280 130 085 and it has a standard 2 pin socket.
The specified time constant is < 5 seconds as opposed to the 20-40 seconds of the more standard type , like say the one found on a 993.

You will understand where I am coming from.

About time you got back to telling us about your heads etc !! as, apparently we are bored !!!!!!!!!

All the best

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, and yes I understand the recommendation regarding the airbox on the dyno.

Hmmm, funny you should mention heads because we have recently carried out a test session at Elvington airfield with Total 911 magazine to measure the difference between standard and modified 993's with the 9m/4T heads, all recorded on an AX22 satelite datalogger. Had a mk1 GT3 there for comparison as well as my 400bhp RS. All I can say at this time is that the results were as expected given the results on the dyno. Keep an eye on the 993 forum in the near future.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Colin,

Will do.

Geoff
Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

what interests me is why the cup airbox makes more power on the dyno? and does it do the same on the road? or have i missed the explanation! I can't beleive the factory did it just for noise!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:10 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the cup airbox and my car has been running hot at the track, at the 248F mark. Does the warmer air coming in the airbox affect the oil temps? I am moving fast at the track, so I would think that the air would be cooler than when I am in traffic. I am debating on whether or not to go back to the stock air box to help lower my oil temps.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Gilbasa
Advanced

I drilled holes in my stock air box and put a K&N Air Filter in as well as a Fabspeed Cat Bypass Pipe to compensate. There definetly is more power especially on the top end. Sounds cool too!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The intake air temps don't have much, if anything to do with oil temps. Oil temps are a result of the combustion process 1500 degrees F or so, so a 20 degrees one way or another on the intake side isn't going to contribute much to the heat of the combustion process. Most C2s that are tracked require a secondary oil cooler to keep temps in line.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
I am debating on whether or not to go back to the stock air box to help lower my oil temps.
I'm sorry if this sounds obvious but have you ever cleaned the oil cooler in the front bumper? When you removed the AC did you leave the CCU in the dashboard and have you checked that fan is coming on at low and high speed? Do you still have the heat-exchangers AND the plastic tube from the main cooling fan attached? Have you tried the oil cooler fan overide-switch?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jason,

I looked in the front bumper a few days ago and while there is some crud, it didn't look too bad. I will go ahead and clean it out though. I thought the fan overide switch was more for traffic than the track. I will look into all of these for sure as an oil cooler is very expensive and heavy. I will put one in if I have to and have ruled out the above.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Air intake temperatures with a cup/drilled airbox versus a stock airbox.