Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 964 may have to go. :( (towing question too)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 964 may have to go. :( (towing question too)

Hi all.

I've been fighting with myself for a couple months about what to do in my current situation...

I'm going to soon purchase another sportbike, but this time a Ducati or Aprilia (have not decided which one yet). I only have two cars right now and one of them has to go in order for me to buy the bike. I will then get a less expensive "beater" car to offset the cost of the bike vs. the value of the car I get rid of...

Anyway, I really don't want to get rid of the 964, but I need a car that can tow the bike to the track some days without either getting hurt. Even though it's "not recommended", the Evo can tow a sportbike trailer to the track (I've witnessed it), but I don't think the 964 can just because of its setup. Correct??? I've heard of 964/993 drivers bringing pulling their DE equipment, tires, and tools to the track on a small trailer but I have no idea what those weigh...

Luckily, I don't need to bring tools since a family member I go with always brings those along with his SUV and Ducati 999s. The wet weight of the bike I am buying will be about 450 pounds, plus the weight of the trailer. Not heavy at all...

Please also reference this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/21827-964-trailer-hitch.html

If this can't work, unfortunately I may have to part with the 964 since I can really only have two "toys", plus a winter car. Right now the Evo is my winter car. Any beater car I bought would probably not be able to tow a bike as it would be an economy car with little power.

Very hard choice for me, and what's worse is that this would not be an issue if I lived SoCal right now... If the 964 can pull a light trailer, I can keep it and find an excuse to get rid of the Evo so I can buy the bike.

Thnx,
H
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H,
I think you're asking the wrong group of people if you really want to get rid of the 964.

Luckily, I don't need to bring tools since a family member I go with always brings those along with his SUV and Ducati 999s. The wet weight of the bike I am buying will be about 450 pounds, plus the weight of the trailer. Not heavy at all...
Sell the Evo, buy the bike and with what's left over contribute to the family member for a two bike trailer and sling him some petrol money

Problem Solvered!

Frank
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 AM
hawk911
Race Car

I'd second that approach; have him trailer the bike since he/she goes that way anyway.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Well from other threads you have been frustrated with the p-car b/c of the brake squeeling problem. I think you are going to have to ask yourself just how much you enjoyed the 964 when you didn't have those brake problems.

As much as you seem to like your EVO I think you might be better off selling the 964 as you are thinking about.

These cars are sorta like love affairs. You've got to take the good with the bad and work through the issues. If the issues get to the point that you are considering giving it up, then it probably is a good idea to get rid of it. If you do and you miss it you can always get another one (not so easy with a woman!).

it sounds like your bike will be plenty of adrenaline. You might not even miss the old girl.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Hmmm well I had a ducatti monster which I gave up. Given a choice between a 964 cab and a ducatti, the pcar would win.
However, if you have to have a ducatti, then I would sell the WRX and rent/borrow a vehicle whenever you need it. I know my friends wanted to borrow my porsche and Maserati more than my BMW and hybrid car.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Yeh, it's definitely a tough choice. It feels more like someone is telling me, "If you want a new child we have to take one you already have."

psychoideas and hawk, that's a great idea about contributing for a double-trailer, but the person I go with usually takes two bikes. He has four bikes actually, but tracks two. One is a dedicated track bike, and the other isn't but might as well be.

Heirsh, the brake squeal problem you've been witnessing me go through is the most annoying thing of all time, but I still love my 964 and understand that things just need extra attention sometimes. I want to keep the 964 more than I can even explain, but right now because it's coming down to either a bike and getting rid of a car, or no bike at all. I will continue to fight with myself about this and I'm trying to look at it from all angles, including financial angles to see which I would "waste" more money on... an Italian bike that I track, or the 964. I'm taking my time with this decision.

Your point about how I can always get another one is what I'm also thinking though. If I were to get rid of my current 964, I would definitely buy another one again in a few years once I get back to Cali and I'm all settled in there again...

So for the question of the day... How much do those DE tire/tool trailers weigh? I figure if a toolbox weighs 50# and each tire/wheel combo weighs 50#, that's 250# right there. If it can pull 250-300# of tires, shouldn't the 964 technically be able to pull 450# of sportbike? It's not like I'm looking to tow a boat or anything...

I saw in the thread I referenced in my first post of this thread that Adrian said Porsche offered a tow hitch for the 964 as an option. Is that a joke? I've never heard of that...

I know some of you think I've lost it for even asking this stuff, but I have to check. The best way to check is to ask the Rennlisters.

Thnx again,
Harry
Old 06-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

If you can find somewhere strong enough to tie into the car's "frame" I do not see why it cannot pull supposing you dont try to accelerate too hard or climb too high a hill. The biggest problem I see is the rear arms and suspension not being set up to handle the additional stress. But if you severaly limited your right foot and dint climb a hill I don't see why it wouldnt handle it. But thats just my opinion. Braking, on the other hand, cannot always be controlled. So I dunno.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The tow hitch option was not a joke.

Here is an 81 SC with a hitch (last car in list).

A simple goolgle of "porsche 911 tow hitch" got it in one.

I don't know the specs, but I'm sure you can add one.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
The tow hitch option was not a joke.

Here is an 81 SC with a hitch (last car in list).

A simple goolgle of "porsche 911 tow hitch" got it in one.

I don't know the specs, but I'm sure you can add one.
Ah, that's good news it wasn't a joke!

Crossing my fingers that Adrian or someone else who's super-educated on these cars will see this thread and comment on the hitch thing.

I suppose I should also see how much the tongue weight of the trailer would be. I cant imagine it being that much at all... Maybe 60-75 pounds MAX.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell the WRX, buy the bike and make your "less expensive beater car" a small truck that can tow the bike.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

I've personally seen and checked out how a removable hitch was done on a 993. I would be quite straightforward to do the same on a 964, but requires that you have a primary muffler bypass so that there's room to anchor the plate that holds the hitch onto the back of your car in the license plate area.

Your driveline won't be the susceptable point of failure but rather your primary bumper beam to body mounting. Of course if you drive reasonably you'll be fine. The 993 setup I inspected had a set of rains, a set of track's, a good tool kit, jackstands, jack, fluids, chairs... the list goes on. I would estimate inclusive of the weight of the trailer frame, tires, wheels & whatnot the whole thing was easily 500lbs.

Why would you not simply put it on the trailer with your SUV friend who's bringing the tools. Make him a sweet deal like you'll pickup the gas tab for the whole trip. Much cheaper than any other option.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
I've personally seen and checked out how a removable hitch was done on a 993. I would be quite straightforward to do the same on a 964, but requires that you have a primary muffler bypass so that there's room to anchor the plate that holds the hitch onto the back of your car in the license plate area.

Your driveline won't be the susceptable point of failure but rather your primary bumper beam to body mounting. Of course if you drive reasonably you'll be fine. The 993 setup I inspected had a set of rains, a set of track's, a good tool kit, jackstands, jack, fluids, chairs... the list goes on. I would estimate inclusive of the weight of the trailer frame, tires, wheels & whatnot the whole thing was easily 500lbs.

Why would you not simply put it on the trailer with your SUV friend who's bringing the tools. Make him a sweet deal like you'll pickup the gas tab for the whole trip. Much cheaper than any other option.
Regarding the removable hitch for the 964 needing a primary bypass, I already have one of those installed so I'm good to go there.

If that trailer you're talking about had all that stuff on it, I'd say it probably weighs more than a sportbike would. Not to mention that a strapped-down bike is probably a lot more balanced.

Also, I would put it on the trailer with my friend's but if he brings that trailer it always has two bikes on it. One is a dedicated track bike, and the other is just his "favorite". I don't want to ruin the man's pattern. Also, the trailers he owns have a "slot" (I don't know the proper name, sorry) for each bike's front tire, so on the double-version, I can't just "sneak another bike on". There is a single-bike version, and a double-bike version of it--depending on if one or two bikes will be taken.

Here's the single version trailer that I would use. This pic was taken just a few weeks ago. There's my car in the background.

Another thing... Why are people making their own hitches if Porsche offered a hitch as an option? Is it only for certain models of 911? Can you just go buy one aftermarket? I don't understand, but I need to learn these things.

Thnx.

Harry

Last edited by Euromagination; 06-02-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM
racer
Drifting

Ive seen many a 964 and 993 (and boxster) that pull small tire trailers. Some with multiple sets of tires, tools etc. Not exactly "light" but maybe not sport bike heavy. How many "spares" do you need to bring besides the bike? i think it could be done. While not quite the same, I remember seeing early 1980's sales literature with a 928 pulling a sailboat. I am sure Europeans pull a lot of crazy things with 911's!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Miguel
Pro

Euro, don't sell the 964....if you sell it it'll be - you know, we know- a couple of years before you'll get another one...there are always loads of things to attend to....and then 964 will be rarer, more difficult to find in good condition and, eventually more expensive.

Now tell me one thing, please: do you "love" the EVO?

Anyway, what suits you is, of course, what suits you.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Lemme just say this, may not apply to you, but for me, depending on someone else to go racing (or just do laps) just sucks. Much more time-wasting B.S. to put up with. You need the ability to pull your own stuff, so when the B.S. hits the fan you can just hit the road.

I haven't done it yet, but would like to find a way to punch out the license plate area of the bumper, and have one of those old-fashioned, spring-loaded door-type license plates - like in the good old days when some cars had the gas filler nozzle there. The key will be whether or not I can sufficiently weld/bolt up a receiver in there. Would be sweet because when you aren't towing you don't see anything - and when you need to tow, just fold down the license plate and stick in the receiver, pin it in place, and roll.

I think 'da manual says something like 1000 pound towing capacity - as others have said, with a bike, you should be well under that and if you drive softly it shouldn't present a problem.

P.S. - I have never seen the Porsche hitch either but if it's like most Porsche accesories it isn't worth the money.

Quick Reply: The 964 may have to go. :( (towing question too)