Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
kristianw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler Problems..

I've been having some problems with my rear spoiler.. it wont go up so today i switched the control box with the one of the door locks and i got my spoiler up a little bit but not really down. I was wondering if that means my control box is bad for sure? If so is it fixable or will i need to replace it? Thanks in advance for any help

Kristian
Old 05-28-2006, 07:27 PM
kristianw
Instructor

Okay, I plugged the spoiler control box back in and can get it to go down So, its just the up on the box that doesnt work.. Fixable? I hope so.. They look like they are about 280 dollars
Old 05-29-2006, 10:33 AM
C H
Instructor

Open it up, there are 2 relays inside one for up the other for down. Probably not making contact.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
kristianw
Instructor

are the relays the large coils of wire? What exactly should they be making contact with?
Old 05-29-2006, 02:33 PM
C H
Instructor

2 copper looking blocks at the corner of the board. Going up one changes position and going down the other one changes position. Use a DVM to test voltage. I found that I was getting voltage with the motor unpluged because the relay contact was dirty as well as bent and not allowing current through.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:38 PM
kristianw
Instructor

If i dont have a DVM is there any other way to test it?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
C H
Instructor

A test light would work. Voltmeters are cheap, and will pay for themselves the first time you don't take it to the shop.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:18 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

boxes are on Ebay for $50 or so quite often
Old 05-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

what "control box" are we talking about here? the override switch?

i have just went through a slough of spoiler problems and can possibly help with this, but i have no idea what the control box is... i know of the motor, the worm-wheel gearbox, the two microswitches, and the main override switch up front.

more descriptive of the problem please?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:58 PM
C H
Instructor

On the older cars there is a spoiler module under the passanger seat. On the newer (91+ I believe) it is under the dash. It senses the speed and determines when to raise and lower the spoiler automatically and also interfaces with the manual switch.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C H
On the older cars there is a spoiler module under the passanger seat. On the newer (91+ I believe) it is under the dash. It senses the speed and determines when to raise and lower the spoiler automatically and also interfaces with the manual switch.
So when 'kristianw' says, "...it wont go up so today i switched the control box with the one of the door locks and i got my spoiler up a little bit but not really down...", what does he mean? I know he didn't literally switch the control box with a door lock?

If it goes up but not down, or stops halfway, it could be one of a couple simple reasons...

-Microswitches need to be adjusted (though they probably wouldn't "go bad" overnight)
-Wiring harness which plugs directly into the spoiler drive motor is faulty. (unplug and plug in again at a slightly different angle to check; may take several tries at different angles.)
Old 05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
kristianw
Instructor

Euromagination, I switched the control box from the door looks because its the similar to the one for the spoiler and got some movement. I just bought the car a few weeks ago so i think something was already wrong But, how would i adjust microswitches?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kristianw
Euromagination, I switched the control box from the door looks because its the similar to the one for the spoiler and got some movement. I just bought the car a few weeks ago so i think something was already wrong But, how would i adjust microswitches?
i adjusted the microswitches by just slightly bending the metal tabs on the end of each... you have to be VERY careful to not overbend them. basically, the idea of the microswitches are that when they make contact, they shut the spoiler drive motor down. when you hear a spoiler motor stay on for a second or so after the spoiler is fully tucked, it's because the microswitch needs to be adjusted so power to the spoiler motor is cut at the exact instant the spoiler reaches its tucked position.... same goes for the deployed spoiler position...

also, definitely check out the wiring harness connection that plug directly into your spoiler drive motor as i've noticed it's fairly common that it creates intermittent spoiler faults just as you're describing.

next time the spoiler messes up, open the engine lid and wiggle the harness a little bit, making sure it's plugged in well... then turn 12V access on and try the override switch... if the spoiler works properly, you've found your problem.

-Harry
Old 05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
kristianw
Instructor

So are the microswitches the copper pieces in the bottom right?
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2006, 12:03 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That's the control module and the 2 items on the bottom right are the up and down relays to the motor. You can hear them click as you actuate the spoiler.

Open the engine lid and look underneath the left hand edge of the spoiler wing and you'll see 2 limit switches wired up and located at the extreme ends of travel of the gearing. When you depress an open limit switch you should here the spring plunger click as you press on the little arm of the switch.

later, Kevin

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Problems..