Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

772 miles and at least 772 grins....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 772 miles and at least 772 grins....

I drove a total of 833 miles yesterday. From origin to Calais was 772 miles, the other 61 miles were from Eurotunnel back to home. I just wanted to share that the car performed flawlessly in every way, didn't miss a beat. The car is actually also quite comfortable even when the suspension is reasonably stiff. It took just under 11 hours to do 772 miles with around 25 mins of stops included, most of the time was actually ironically lost in Germany where the traffic was heavy for most of it...oh and did I mention roadworks? I got flashed by a German speed camera as well.....

What I really wanted to say was that I hope most of us here just once in our lives actually get the chance to do what I did yesterday. To cruise for long periods of time between 120-160mph.....its like the car finds a totally new rhythm.....its simply impressive the way the faster you go the more sense the car makes......I have had the car going fast before but not for extended periods of time (for obvious reasons), and youneed 5 to 10 mins I think to get the feel of it....its just.....it just gets better and better the faster you go.....absolutely awesome....trust me...we have cars here that will happily cruise at 140mph+ all day long with all the poise and feel that you can only dream of.....Actually, I wonder if there is increased downforce at high speeds....? Anyone know whether there is actual downforce generated? It would make sense......

Top speed reached yesterday was an indicated 172 mph, which according to my GPS speed camera detector equates to somewhere around 166-167 and there was room for more......man.....i think my face was cramping from the grin...

Obviously, this was done in a place where speed limits allow and with no other motorists around to commit suicide by PRI (thats Porsche Rear Impact).....the German drivers tried all day, but not once did I give in to their pleas of euthanasia.....I need new brake pads.....but no one was hurt..
Old 05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
What I really wanted to say was that I hope most of us here just once in our lives actually get the chance to do what I did yesterday. To cruise for long periods of time between 120-160mph....
Like on the M25 and M20
Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree, the car levels out at 160-200 km/h and it feels like you can go on for ever without any effort at all. A cool feeling in a car that is 15 years old!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:48 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I agree - amazing how stable these (lowered) 964s feel at high speed. And how they just love to cruise like that.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

166mph? That's with what sort of modification? I remember you no longer have a cat?

As for cruising at 120mph and above, the standard suspension does very well up to about 150mph. It also depends on the road etc.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:58 PM
DaveK
Race Car

166mph? That's with what sort of modification? I remember you no longer have a cat?
Christer has a LOT more than just no Cat!

But - I don't think that really makes so much difference to the top speed he saw. I've seen an indicated 170mph on mine before (on a racetrack obviously....), but I didn't have GPS at the time to confirm how fast it really was.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:14 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

On a recent European jolly I clocked about 145 in mine, on the GPS it was showing about 138....not too inaccurate I thought.

Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 02:25 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine showing 164 on GPS, 170+ on speedo in Germany. no engine mods. It was just shy of the rev limiter in 5th.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by robmug
I've had mine showing 164 on GPS, 170+ on speedo in Germany. no engine mods. It was just shy of the rev limiter in 5th.
That's why I was wondering if he had a different ratio gearbox mod or raised limiter. I thought the car was limited to 167 by gearing?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM
DaveK
Race Car

He does have a raised limiter - but I didn't know the top speed was limited by revs. I thought it was just 'cos it ran out of power.

I told my g/f about his long high speed periods, and I said I need to go to Germany and try that. But apparently, I don't..............
Old 05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

sounds great... how many times did you stopped for.....hummm... gas...?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 PM
TJN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your hi speed trip

Originally Posted by Christer
I drove a total of 833 miles yesterday. From origin to Calais was 772 miles, the other 61 miles were from Eurotunnel back to home. I just wanted to share that the car performed flawlessly in every way, didn't miss a beat. The car is actually also quite comfortable even when the suspension is reasonably stiff. It took just under 11 hours to do 772 miles with around 25 mins of stops included, most of the time was actually ironically lost in Germany where the traffic was heavy for most of it...oh and did I mention roadworks? I got flashed by a German speed camera as well.....

What I really wanted to say was that I hope most of us here just once in our lives actually get the chance to do what I did yesterday. To cruise for long periods of time between 120-160mph.....its like the car finds a totally new rhythm.....its simply impressive the way the faster you go the more sense the car makes......I have had the car going fast before but not for extended periods of time (for obvious reasons), and youneed 5 to 10 mins I think to get the feel of it....its just.....it just gets better and better the faster you go.....absolutely awesome....trust me...we have cars here that will happily cruise at 140mph+ all day long with all the poise and feel that you can only dream of.....Actually, I wonder if there is increased downforce at high speeds....? Anyone know whether there is actual downforce generated? It would make sense......

Top speed reached yesterday was an indicated 172 mph, which according to my GPS speed camera detector equates to somewhere around 166-167 and there was room for more......man.....i think my face was cramping from the grin...

Obviously, this was done in a place where speed limits allow and with no other motorists around to commit suicide by PRI (thats Porsche Rear Impact).....the German drivers tried all day, but not once did I give in to their pleas of euthanasia.....I need new brake pads.....but no one was hurt..
christer, damn, we are jealous! that speed would land us in jail! glad to learn what we might be capable of!, cheers, tjn/vk, stateside k/stateside
Old 05-25-2006, 03:58 AM
robbed666
Racer

It's worth to the trip over for grin factor alone. Where abouts in Germany were you Christer? I've heard the Germans now have limits on a lot of the Autobahns now, is that true?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:31 AM
Christer
Race Car

From memory my rev limiter is at 7250. Judging by the way the car still accelerates very hard even above 150mph, I think I could hit an actual 175+mph although again I am not sure on the gear ratios. If we are indeed limited to 167 at 6800, then at 7250 I guess I should hit 178 or so unless I run out of power.....its not really that important anyway, as these kind of speeds are so rarely seen.

I basically entered Germany at the Danish border and drove the main routes from there through to Calais. There are quite long stretches where there is no speed limit, punctuated by 120km/h limits around a few larger towns and of course the roadworks.....the traffic is also generally quite bad (at least the last 2 times I have been through that way) so this keeps the speed way down.

I think I stopped for fuel 3 times, although one of them was a bit of a top-up as I had a more urgent reason for stopping. I still haven't really worked out the fuel consumption of the car. I know its pretty bad around town (of course), but I need to do some calculations....or do I...?

Eggplant, as to your query with regards to modifications - I think the best dyno result I had a t 9M was 315rwhp, although I think last time I was there it was at 309rwhp but the mid range torque had been tweaked......
Old 05-25-2006, 06:19 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robbed666
It's worth to the trip over for grin factor alone. Where abouts in Germany were you Christer? I've heard the Germans now have limits on a lot of the Autobahns now, is that true?

Some autobahns are now restricted but not all. but it dosesnt matter anyway as they cant get our licences! yet anyway, although they are working on it.

Christer sounds like fun. I agree there is a point where the car just feels comfortable and more planted 120-140ish at some high speed aespecially if windy the front can feel very light!

Quick Reply: 772 miles and at least 772 grins....