Sponsored by:

Cab roof control unit help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:04 PM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cab roof control unit help

Hi guys, I've searched and had no success. My roof control unit, hidden under the left hand side dash has an intermittant connection, how do I get to it? It's under another unit, and, as per the norm, the wires are as short as possible.
Help please. Cheers. R
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Raymond,

I've not needed to access that unit before. If I did, I would start by looking at Adrian's book, PET and the Without Guesswork book. I just check the two books and neither have that detail.

I just PM'd you.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Michael Delaney
Racer

Getting to the control unit is a bitch. However, before you go there you might want to check a few other things. One is the microswitches on the lockdown motors. I don't know how much diagnosis you have done. Do a search here on cab tops and you will find many posts. There are several things that can make the top work intermittently.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Raymond what' the problem with your roof? (Had mine apart, including the control unit).
Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Thanks guys, the problem is definatly the control unit, I need to 'waggle' it to bring the dash light on to activate the motors, I only use the release motors, then lower the roof manually. Cheers
Old 05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
robbed666
Racer

Mine had the proverbal 'dry soldered' joints around the relay terminals on the control unit PCB.
It's a bit of a pain (literally), to get out. Sound like you suffering the same problem.
HTH
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Rob, think you hit the nail on the head, what is the best way to access the unit?
Cheers.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:41 PM
robbed666
Racer

There is no easy way. I'm afraid its 'make like a Bat time' ! That is upside down with your head under the dash. Mine's a left hooker. So the unit is under the dash, just to the left of the steering column.There is another control unit bolted on top of the cab control unit, which has to come out first. Then you'll see the cab unit. Just checked, if yours is RHD the control unit is on the other side. I.e to the right of the steering column, on the RH side. Don't know if RHD is buried as much. A lot of the underdash components stay in the same place LHD or RHD, but this aint one them! Once you get to it, it has 4 connectors. M1, M2, M3 and K.
M1: power etc, M2 & M3: top locks (M3 dash switch as well), K main rear roof lift motors.
HTH
Old 05-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

When I removed mine I used a couple of plastic storage bins about the same height as the door sill. Then I laid a moving blanket on top of it and was able to lie on my back pretty comfortably while working on it. I don't think I would have been able to get it out without building this rig. Definitely designed by a sadist at Porsche.

Quick Reply: Cab roof control unit help